pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Increase In Fines For Traffic Violations
ha ha ha I see they have 5 attempts to go on green . Maybe with practice they will make it . No mention of overtaking when it says no overtaking or driveing motor bikes and scooters on the pavements ... Oh well Turkey wouldn't be turkey would it . If they drive realy good i'd think i was in the wrong country !!!!!..........Diane

Gamuret

It will be interesting to see the extent to which these rules are enforced. If so, what a shame. I am sure that we all enjoy driving "Turkish fashion" i.e. "when in Rome....."

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
Well thats half the drivers in Didim gone then thank god !!!

Yeah Turgutreis too, its about time drivers here were made to stick to the rules of the road, I am sick and tired people pulling out on me, running red lights, turning right in a 'turn left' lane etc etc.

Gamuret

Surely, the most important aspect to driving in Turkey is anticipation and a thorough knowledge of their driving practices, such as partly lit or even unlit vehicles at night, even on the wrong side of the road. No doubt if you live there long enough you become "one of them" automatically, even driving without considerable concentration on the "wrong" side of the road for us.

The "macho" mentality is very evident. Has anybody been in a dolmus when another one dares to overtake it?? When driving I found that the best way to cope was to drive with the flow AND I am still alive!! If I was to drive as I do in the UK I very much doubt that that would be the case!

I am sure that members who have been living in Turkey for a long time will have their own tips for survival. It will be most interesting to hear from them.

abla

I just dont drive at night really.Its the unlit people and bikes and the rest that I cant see.I do drive on the correct side of the road and never know when to give way.It reminds me of the dance of death in the uk when the green man comes on and so many peeps are crossing quickly at the same time.Must go and experience that soon.hehe!

I think it's self-delusion to expect drivers here to be skilled or follow any traffic code. Every time I drive I just visualise that every other vehicle is being driven by a 4-year-old, and anticipate accordingly. No offence to any Turks on the forum, but, seriously, face it, you may make great baklava but your driving sucks.

Martyn

I never cross Ataturk using the lights you know where you stand when not using them :thumbup:

alison09400

Even after 7 years of driving here they still pee me off; you need to have expect the unexpected all the time.

I find the drink driving law here hilarious....you only loose your licence after you've been caught 3 times; it should be taken off you the first time you're caught!!!

LyndaCB

I was driving one day when the car behind me and myself were stopped as a lorry was in the road making a delivery.

The lorry man asked us to take a different route as he was going to be a while. The lady in the car behind started panicking, she couldn't find another route as she couldn't reverse her car!!!

The lorry driver then calmly got into her car to reverse it asthough it was a natural thing!!!

When on Turkish roads - always expect the unexpected:95im:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom