edeller

In a tizzy over Tapu check.
Didnt take me long but buying at a distance is soooo frustrating!

Struck my deal with the agent a week or so ago on a resale property. I choose a solicitor to act on my behalf (POA etc) and I ask that before I part with my reservation deposit that someone check that the Tapu is in order asap.

A few days down the line and Ive heard nothing, not even a reply to my email instructing him to act on my behalf. I realise that I am in very early stages but never the less, its a simple enough process over there and I will have all my funds to pay the full purchase price within days.

Annette from Bodrum Consulting has offered to go check for me but now Ive already instructed someone I feel a bit trapped with nothing going on. I agreed to pay the solicitor handsomely in return for a quick response and similarly my seller has agreed a very favourable purchase price for me on the basis that I can move quickly - which in theory I can. Im over on 6th March, Id hoped that apart from the the military search everything would be sewn up?

Shall I ditch the solicitor and have a consultant/translator deal with the whole thing? Not sure what to do. I am aware that Tapus are available for inspection with a little as 48 hours notice. Feel like flying over Myself....dont expect calling the Tapu office in Bodrum would help????
:mmph:
Emma
x

Saoirse

Emma dont be panicing

Its very early days and things move slow in Turkey

Sarahlou

From my experience solicitors tend to be rather slow in replying. it is very frustrating when you are half a world away. Hopefully you didn't part with a lot of cash to your solicitor, the less you pay up front the keener they will be to do the work. Trust me on that, I've had a few. There is very good advice on this forum, if you are paying a deposit make it a small one and don't hand over the balance of the money until the tapu is going into your hand

edeller

Hes updating me on Monday :smile: Havent parted with any cash anywhere yet but once hes had a look at the Tapu and all is well I will cough up a reservation deposit.

Im taking out a Hypotek to cover Myself whilst the military check is done.

Emma

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
were you present when "you gave poa" ? I would put pressure on them threatening to pull out, its they who want a speedy transaction
for gods sake dont pay the balance until the tapu is in your name ! only pay a small deposit !

martin

ChrisBobs

Hi Emma
patience but at the same time be alert!
So it seems the solicitor has replied to you, and if he is too slow on checking the tapu - you have the Annette plan as backup - in the timeframe you want..
The " ipotek" is the important thing
Hope it all goes well!

edeller

were you present when "you gave poa" ? I would put pressure on them threatening to pull out, its they who want a speedy transaction
for gods sake dont pay the balance until the tapu is in your name ! only pay a small deposit !

martin
Havent given POA yet, solicitor is giving me a contact in London to help me with this. I can go to their office next week if need be to get it done faster.

I have been told by the agent that the seller will require all remaining monies on contract hence the Hypotek. Im OK with that, its a British seller, the place has been empty for years and by the sounds of it I will be lucky to get in there before next summer if I wait for the completed Tapu in my name/military check. This way I get to take possession earlier and my money is protected while I wait.

Am I doing alright????
Emma
x

Pete&Mag

martin

Have to agree with Martin. It is they who will be wetting themselves, if you look like you might pull out. There may be some small proceedural things which your solicitor is wanting confirmation on. Rights of way /Boundary info. Turkish solicitors have bigger 'intrays' than 'outrays'. Have you considered actually phoning them. Emails are easy to ignore. Good luck and best wishes . I hope your sale goes smoothly if not quickly.

Pete

edeller

They did bite my hand off when I made an offer so I think your right. They do really want to sell, and quickly! Will be making some phone calls next week if things not going my way.

Guz1

Never again would I pay more than a small deposit before being in possession of the tapu, irrespective of the seller's nationality. Maybe having use of the apartment will work in your favour, but what if it doesn't? Withholding the bulk of the money is your only real insurance that you will get what you paid for. Sorry to sound so negative.

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Hes updating me on Monday :smile: Havent parted with any cash anywhere yet but once hes had a look at the Tapu and all is well I will cough up a reservation deposit.

Im taking out a Hypotek to cover Myself whilst the military check is done.

Emma

You are wise and taking all the right steps so far by protecting yourself with issuing an ipotek, this will place a restriction registered on the title deed at the land registry office. As it will be registered at the land registry records, it is official! And do not part with all the cash until you have the Tapu!

I think you are covering yourself well.

edeller

Thats OK, its all new to me, most people on TLF have been there done it all before so I respect everyones view.

So you dont think the Hypotek/Ipotek is worth having Maria?
Emma

I know someone who bought in Beyoglu when the tapu ban came down 5 years ago. He lost the equivalent of £3,000 deposit and the ipotech was worth toilet paper. The ipotech only protects Turks against a resale. Foreigners however are entitled to the refund of the deposit if they have an ipotech. But my friend is still waiting for his.

Guz1

So you dont think the Hypotek/Ipotek is worth having Maria?
Emma

Every extra safeguard is worth it until you are the legal owner. The biggest safeguard is holding on to your money because once you part with it the only hope (I stress hope, not guarantee) of getting it back is by spending more and more money.

tintagel

Didnt take me long but buying at a distance is soooo frustrating!

Struck my deal with the agent a week or so ago on a resale property. I choose a solicitor to act on my behalf (POA etc) and I ask that before I part with my reservation deposit that someone check that the Tapu is in order asap.

A few days down the line and Ive heard nothing, not even a reply to my email instructing him to act on my behalf. I realise that I am in very early stages but never the less, its a simple enough process over there and I will have all my funds to pay the full purchase price within days.

Annette from Bodrum Consulting has offered to go check for me but now Ive already instructed someone I feel a bit trapped with nothing going on. I agreed to pay the solicitor handsomely in return for a quick response and similarly my seller has agreed a very favourable purchase price for me on the basis that I can move quickly - which in theory I can. Im over on 6th March, Id hoped that apart from the the military search everything would be sewn up?

Shall I ditch the solicitor and have a consultant/translator deal with the whole thing? Not sure what to do. I am aware that Tapus are available for inspection with a little as 48 hours notice. Feel like flying over Myself....dont expect calling the Tapu office in Bodrum would help????
:mmph:
Emma
x

Hi Emma, IMO (hindsight!!) a Good Emlak, will have already checked the Tapu status, Habitation cert, outstanding Debts etc, has yours not done this?

How did you choose your Lawyer (a very dangerous area, a wrong one can cause more problems than they solve!), could you use the same one you used when buying your property in Ishmir?

Please don't be in too much of a hurry to part with your hard earned cash, it's not easily recouped even with a notarised contract, ipotek etc. If the people you are dealing with are honest, especially with the state of the property market over there, they should be fawning all over you to achieve this sale.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom