no-nem

impression of Muslims?
Can I ask you residents of the UK what the general feeling/attitude towards Muslims are among the populous? The reason I ask is that the Media are very quick to mention Muslims in Terrorist debates and reportage, even though most will be total extremists.
Another reason I ask, is I watched a film last night called 'outlaw' I won't go on about the plot, but was centered around a gang led by 'Sean Bean' as a recent soldier returned from Afghanistan & Iraq etc venging certain issues.
One of the gang was listing all the people that he wanted to kill and among the Paedophiles, Rapists etc. He said Muslims. Now I know it is only a film, but had to be written by someone who has done extensive research and it quite shocked me when they were on the list.Is there really a mounting hatred towards the Muslim race in The Ignorance of the Uk? and is it also affecting attitudes that is leading to the demise of Turkey for Hols and Property investment? ie Ignorance? Because I firmly believe that this attitude being shown via film will be absorbed by many and possibly create a further Ignorance of the word 'Muslim'.

Karyn UK

impression of Muslims?
I couldn't say what the general populace thinks because you don't really get a chance to find out - we only get to find out what the media thinks and that is pretty bad! So if the media is a reflection of the public frame of mind Muslim's are very scary.

I do have some anecdotal evidence that it is an issue. In a conversation with a nurse last week Hubby was asked if he was worried about all the terrorism and the bombings in Turkey.

Nobody seems to realise actually how very very big Turkey is, but then most people don't realise how big Spain is, so any news about a country is assumed to be on the doorstep of tourist resorts.

The thing I have noticed most recently in the media is the playing up of the differences between Muslim and Christian. There is a new tv program starting on Sunday on Channel 4 called "Make me a Muslim" which is supposed to be about the lack of morality in sections of the public and how adopting Muslim values would change that morality - things like binge drinking, provocative dressing etc. I have a feeling this will be edited or structured in such a way as to be a big joke, with Muslim's seen as prudish and restrictive of women's rights to express themselves. Just found a link to an article about this show www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/nov/19/islam.religion.

I haven't seen Outlaw, not many people have, though I did see Sean Bean interviewed about it when it was released. I don't recall the Muslim comment being picked up on. So either it didn't get mentioned or I am now so used to Muslim bashing I didnt notice - which is very interesting in itself!

I do feel Turkey gets really terrible coverage in the British media and this combined with general ignorance is having an impact on the holiday/real estate sector.

K

Last edited:

pldouglas

impression of Muslims?
In Uk it seems hardly a day goes past without some newspaper reference to 'immigrants' and that they are 'crowding our schools' or 'taking our jobs' etc. and whereas 10 years ago people would refer to 'b***y Kosovans' now they refer to Muslims (or those they think are muslim) in the same way. Its horrible.
Last week I was chatting to the checkout lady in the local supermarket about Christmas and commented that because we always spend Christmas in Turkey that the whole event rather passes us by since it is a Muslim country. The checkout woman couldn't understand why we wanted to go to a 'place full of them muslims' which unfortunately I believe to be a common attitude and yes, I am sure does effect tourism and holiday home purchases.
Well all I can say is more fool these stupid racists - we don't want people with those attitudes in Turkey anyway (or UK for that matter) and it will leave those of us who are a little more enlightened to enjoy this lovley country and great people.

Bill & Linda

Senior Members
impression of Muslims?
I remember when we decided to move to Turkey the look of amazement on some peoples faces,your moving to a muslim country, how brave!!Of course you always try the old (Have you ever been)?Well no and i wont be either was always the answer, i always used to think you dont know what your missing.After living here for a couple of years now i find the people (on the whole), generous, trusting, and helpfull.If this is what being muslim is about then its ok by me!!

Saoirse

impression of Muslims?
pldouglas said:
In Uk it seems hardly a day goes past without some newspaper reference to 'immigrants' and that they are 'crowding our schools' or 'taking our jobs' etc. and whereas 10 years ago people would refer to 'b***y Kosovans' now they refer to Muslims (or those they think are muslim) in the same way. Its horrible.
Last week I was chatting to the checkout lady in the local supermarket about Christmas and commented that because we always spend Christmas in Turkey that the whole event rather passes us by since it is a Muslim country. The checkout woman couldn't understand why we wanted to go to a 'place full of them muslims' which unfortunately I believe to be a common attitude and yes, I am sure does effect tourism and holiday home purchases.
Well all I can say is more fool these stupid racists - we don't want people with those attitudes in Turkey anyway (or UK for that matter) and it will leave those of us who are a little more enlightened to enjoy this lovley country and great people.

excellent post. well said

Talkinman

impression of Muslims?
I do agree entirly that to a lot of the newspaper reading population all Muslims are regarded as a potential problem.
Obviously this is not somthing I or a large part of the thinking public subscribe to. Although it seems to be a growing thing as are other problems in our "selfish society" (I am begining to sound like a grumpy)
However when we see the reaction in some countries to events in the rest of the non Muslim world it does seem that this is by no means a one way street.
This is not new, It has been happening in various degrees for centuries.
The whole thing on both sides seems to be driven by over zealous "LEADERS" and a one sided Press.
This is of course part of the reason why I and I am sure a lot of people are at least partialy opting out of this country.

Thank you for your thought provoking post!!!

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
impression of Muslims?
I think it's down to a lack of education and being able to differentiate between those nutters of the Muslim persuasion who wouldn't think twice about blowing themselves and a hundred others to smithereens, and the vast majority of the rest who are, well, just normal human beings.

But Muslim's generally do get mentioned negatively by a Christian orientated media in the UK and certainly America.

I often wonder what they think of us.

It's difficult to understand other faiths when you've been brought up in a particular way - but no-one has a right to impose their beliefs on others.

In my opinion the worst thing that ever happened to humankind was the invention/discovery/introduction* of religion and it's "Gods"....

*delete as appropriate

C

impression of Muslims?
You are preaching Ceemac, preaching atheism which I respectably suggest you should not do so on this forum. [Just as believers in any faith should not preach]
Does anyone realy think that the lack of religion in this world would result in a better world? The morons amoungst us would find plenty of excuses to hate. Even if skin colour became uniform they would revert to hair colour and failing that we would have height-wars!
Mankind suffers from stupidity and in some proportion of the population an insecurity in self which demands that he look down on someone and thus fight them.

Martyn

impression of Muslims?
But if everyone was one religion there would be no wars imho.

Last edited by a moderator:

red

impression of Muslims?
I don't understand religion, I know a bit about it's teachings but I can't understand how anyone believes it is 'right' to harm another in the name of the/a 'cause'. I can understand revenge, hate and for that matter faith as part of deep rooted human emotion.

As for how people view Muslims, I know last year when I mentioned I was buying in Turkey I heard a few gasps because of the faith of the country, but this was from people who think an adventure is backpacking through Margate.

I missed the bit about Outlaws - wasn't one of the actors/parts a muslim? - I'll have to watch it again - it was one of those movies I half watch because HE wants to watch it.

From listening in to general conversations (I'm a nosey sod) concern has moved away from religion to general 'swamping' immigration, and it does worry me because people I consider quite open and warm are getting fed up with the situation.

I don't think it is about any particular faith and not even about immigration the whole issue is poeple getting confused by the PC brigade who are doing more harm than good. People won't ask questions as they are afraid of being condemned as 'rascist' so they don't learn and more importantly they hold onto beliefs and myths that become viewpoints relating to hate. 'know it alls' have a lot to answer for, and i've met a few -they look down their nose at peoplethen come out with tripe themselves!

parrot

impression of Muslims?
I agree with a lot of what has been said,not all muslims are beheading,maiming zealots who think nothing of executing woman for adultery.

Saoirse

impression of Muslims?
Yip thats true theres plenty of "christian" types who hold equally abhorrent and indeed worse views

parrot

impression of Muslims?
saoirse said:
Yip thats true theres plenty of "christian" types who hold equally abhorrent and indeed worse views
There is a big difference between holding these views and actually carrying them out.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
impression of Muslims?
"You are preaching Ceemac, preaching atheism which I respectably suggest you should not do so on this forum. [Just as believers in any faith should not preach"]

And I respectfully suggest you check which room we're in - and if I were "preaching" I would hardly be prefacing the part you're referring to with "In my opinion" - hardly the Sermon on the Mount now is it?

Whatever happened to debate Gully or does my opinion not dovetail with your beliefs?

However, I thank you for your feedback..........

C

GnD

impression of Muslims?
There are, unfortunately, blinkered ignorant people in every Country and in every faith; and with the "literally" ignorant people (by which I mean genuinely non-questioning nature) they don't read deeply into any news article and therefore may jump to extreme conclusions. Which in turn instigats prejudices. But on the whole in Kent I find most people have ventured to Turkey, had a great time and have repeat holidays in various areas.

Great post ....
""Does anyone realy think that the lack of religion in this world would result in a better world? The morons amoungst us would find plenty of excuses to hate. Even if skin colour became uniform they would revert to hair colour and failing that we would have height-wars!
Mankind suffers from stupidity and in some proportion of the population an insecurity in self which demands that he look down on someone and thus fight them.""

Guz1

impression of Muslims?
I don't know about the UK but here in Ireland resentment is usually felt against the Africans and their ability to work the system. If they happen to be Muslim Africans then there's a double whammy.

The pc brigade have had a Christmas crib removed from the lobby of a hospital, a creche has had to abandon its nativity play and the national TV station told a shop that sells religious goods to have their ad vetted by the Advertising Standards agency because they were selling Christmas cribs. The Muslims are being blamed for all this but I suspect it is down to the "anti all religions" lobby using the Muslims to get their own way.

Gully Foyle's post sums up my reaction to the argument that the world would be a better place without religion. How religious were Stalin and Ceaucescu, and what about the military government in Burma? They didn't become tyrants because of something they learned in Church, Synagogue or Mosque.

impression of Muslims?
Ceemac. Of course I disagree with your opinion, that is why I argued against it!
As for your preface "In my opinion..." that is a complete redundancy, any statement made by a contributor to a debate is taken to be his opinion unless he states otherwise as "It is the opinion of George Bush that....blah blah blah"

pldouglas

impression of Muslims?
The original question here was from Gully asking what the general opinion of muslims is, here in the UK and I think the answer, so far, seems to be 'not great'. I hate to see religious arguments since I spent 14 years working on behalf of refugees (combined with english born ex-offenders - yes all lumped together on a Government scheme!) and I can say from experience that there is a massive racist problem here in UK. Only once in 14 years did I tell a foreign gentleman to .b***r off back to your own country' and that was after he had kicked a hole in the wall and tried to rip a radiator off same wall, which rather spoilt the cut of his expensive suit.
Racism here is so bad that I often found local companies would rather employ a british born ex-offender (yes even murderers and sex-offenders) than a properly registered foreigner. There isn't room on this site for the number of examples I could give.
Education of the ignorant is the only way foward. I reguarly made my classes join together for group discussions and eventually some friendships were formed between a british born ex-offender who would tell me 'I ain't sittin next to some f***g refugee' and the gentle,well mannered and often very homesick and frightened people from other countries, many muslim. Thinking back, I'm not sure I did the refugees a favour really by introducing them to the dregs of english society and I know that many were shocked by the behaviour of the english - I have a clear memory of a man from somewhere overseas gently explaining to a rather drugged young englishman why it is wrong to attack elderly people. All my clients taught me a lot about human nature.

impression of Muslims?
[Of course it was no-nem who asked the question and perhaps we have drifted somewhat off-course]
You know pld, racism is not exactly unknown amoungst ex-pats in Turkey which may suprise some people because, of course. we are all immigrants ourselves! [and I know several who are illegal]

Latest Posts

Top Bottom