Maisie

Importing DVD/CD Player
Sorry to start a new thread, but I can't find the answer I am looking for anywhere else.

I want to buy a DVD/CD player. If I buy this in the UK, can I take it in my hold luggage without having to pay tax? As I understand the tax regulations, tax is only payable on receiving equipment, which a player is obviously not.

I am planning to buy a TV in Turkey. Anyone know if there would be any incompatability issues with a UK player and a Turkish TV?

Maisie

Importing DVD/CD Player
Maisie,
if you are going to purchase a television why not get both from the same shop they will then set it all up for you.

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Importing DVD/CD Player
I would buy it there, I think BIM were selling one for about 60 Lira, not worth the hassle of taking one over.

biggles

biggles
Importing DVD/CD Player
this is correct .i took one over in 2004 to use with my turkish tv . and when i told turkish friends how much i paid in uk they all said please please bring me one .but now they are a similar price in turkey as in uk so its not worth taking one ,just go into metro and they are just as cheap .but yes a uk one is compatible with a turkish tv . just make sur e you buy a dvd/rw .multi region one ,then you can play all your cheap dvds your friendly beach seller will sell you .

Importing DVD/CD Player
Hi

We bought our tv in turkey but brought over a £15 DVD player from Asda just put it in our case and weve had no problems havent tried playing cd on it but I'm sure you can we can on our one at home although that is a different make.

Jane

3m's

Importing DVD/CD Player
buy in migros, they do a divx player for about 40lira, easy to set up yourself or ask guy who delivers tv (cheapest in uk is about£40)

Importing DVD/CD Player
we bought one of ASDA's specials last year - a portable type for only 8 quid and it works wonderfully on our turkish 'Vesta' tv

Maisie

Importing DVD/CD Player
Thanks to everyone for their input. However, no-one has mentioned tax. Do I assume that this means no tax is payable on this piece of equipment?

Maisie

black angel

Revelations 6:1-8
Importing DVD/CD Player
Maisie said:
Thanks to everyone for their input. However, no-one has mentioned tax. Do I assume that this means no tax is payable on this piece of equipment?

Maisie

If you put it in your hold luggage you will simply pick your case up off the carousel and walk out of the airport with it - unless you specifically wsh to declare it to someone!!

Importing DVD/CD Player
It wouldnt have accorded to me that you would have to pay tax as I said just put it in our case, we have brought load of stuff over with us all sorts of power tools etc

Jane

biggles

biggles
Importing DVD/CD Player
Janeavsallar said:
It wouldnt have accorded to me that you would have to pay tax as I said just put it in our case, we have brought load of stuff over with us all sorts of power tools etc

Jane
i have brought over ,a dvd player .sds hammer drill ,tools ,fax machine ,vhs tape machine .all in suitcase ,no tax ,no problem.

cheeky chops

lifes a beach
Importing DVD/CD Player
biggles said:
i have brought over ,a dvd player .sds hammer drill ,tools ,fax machine ,vhs tape machine .all in suitcase ,no tax ,no problem.

biggles are you an electrical courier /dealer (as in drugs not as in dixons )only joking so dont sue me

we have also took loads of electrical goods over in our cases
just pick the case up and walk out it may be a risk if you get stopped
cc

Maisie

Importing DVD/CD Player
Many thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I have just bought a player from Currys for £19.99. It can be set to any region with the unlocking code at any time. It is a very small flat object, so I will put it in the suitcase and walk out with it.

I read on another forum that although it does not say in the blurb with the machine, it will also play DivX and XVid, so I am hopeful this will be the answer. I am sure if I bought a machine in Turkey with a TV, it would have cost more than I have paid.

Again - thanks everyone. Maisie

biggles

biggles
Importing DVD/CD Player
cheeky chops said:
biggles are you an electrical courier /dealer (as in drugs not as in dixons )only joking so dont sue me

we have also took loads of electrical goods over in our cases
just pick the case up and walk out it may be a risk if you get stopped
cc
no ,this is all for friends in turkey . except the sds drill,you need that with these turkish concrete walls . its been loaned out all round our complex .perhaps i should set up a tool hire business.

steve J

Importing DVD/CD Player
Maisie said:
Sorry to start a new thread, but I can't find the answer I am looking for anywhere else.

I want to buy a DVD/CD player. If I buy this in the UK, can I take it in my hold luggage without having to pay tax? As I understand the tax regulations, tax is only payable on receiving equipment, which a player is obviously not.

I am planning to buy a TV in Turkey. Anyone know if there would be any incompatability issues with a UK player and a Turkish TV?

Maisie
I bought a home cinema in the UK ( a cheap Comet one) and packed it in my case - it works great with the Turkish TV

cheeky chops

lifes a beach
Importing DVD/CD Player
biggles said:
no ,this is all for friends in turkey . except the sds drill,you need that with these turkish concrete walls . its been loaned out all round our complex .perhaps i should set up a tool hire business.

hasnt that been done before

i dont know how you have weight left for friends we are always over and thats just for us

maisie
your right it would cost a lot more if you got a named brand tv and dvd player in turkey compared to the uk.

cheeky chops

biggles

biggles
Importing DVD/CD Player
cheeky chops said:
hasnt that been done before

i dont know how you have weight left for friends we are always over and thats just for us

maisie
your right it would cost a lot more if you got a named brand tv and dvd player in turkey compared to the uk.

cheeky chops
i dont need to take anything for myswlf as i have absolutely everything there .if the wife kicked me out i could just go there with the clothes i stand up in and my passport ,i would not need to take anything else . so my suitcase is full of stuff for everyone else already there.

cheeky chops

lifes a beach
Importing DVD/CD Player
biggles said:
i dont need to take anything for myswlf as i have absolutely everything there .jif the wife kicked me out i could ust go there with the clothes i stand up in and my passport ,i would not need to take anything else . so my suitcase is full of stuff for everyone else already there.

best behave then biggles
cc

Latest Posts

Top Bottom