i'm in shock
i just replied to a post on 'Trip Advisor' and had a message that my post contained profanities ie cum
heres part of what i wrote...

the Katakomba is a big karaoke cum dance bar with a large floor so you and your boy can boogie the night away.
have fun and dont forget the sun cream..its very very hot in august.''

the use of 'cum' in this way is a latin term used as a preposition and is not swearing nor offensive.......has the world gone mad?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
i'm in shock
If you'd used the word "come" it would have been acceptable them, but grammatically incorrect.

It would probably have been more acceptable if you'd hyphenated it. i.e. karaoke-cum-dance.

And the bloody Americans think they speak English eh ? :dooh:

Last edited:

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
i'm in shock
Lot, it must be an American site then....

By the way : I didn't know the word cum either......

oh, and what about boogie all night with your boy, cannot that be misunderstood ?

Harem

I've cliqued
i'm in shock
I would be in shock, too, Shirley. Don't these people know proper English? What have they done to our language?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
i'm in shock
and what about boogie all night with your boy, cannot that be misunderstood ?

No, I think that's safe Sparrow otherwise the yanks would have choked at Boogie Nights and Boogie-Woogie Music. :D

Put "cum, definition" into a search engine and the reason for Trip Advisor's reply to Shirley will become clear.

i'm in shock
hmm..lets see then..so if i keep karaoke apart from cum with a little dash..and then keep cum apart from dance with another little dash ..the yanks wont take it that im putting the sticky stuff on the dance and karaoke floor and their sensitivities will not be offended...unlike us poor brits who are still under the illusion that the english lang is(was) ours
i wonder if there is American Spanish ,American French ,American German ..and god forbid..American latin !!..or is it just our language that they have adulterated.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
i'm in shock
Poor brits who are still under the illusion that the english lang is(was) ours
I wonder if there is American Spanish ,American French ,American German ..and god forbid..American latin !!

Of course there is, but it's the "Yoof" of today that's corrupted the English language more than ever. :roundgrin

What always makes me chuckle is all the Yanks, Kiwis, Ozzies etc that travel the world teaching "English". They can't even speak the bloody language properly, how can they teach it ?? :lol:

Last edited:

Harem

I've cliqued
i'm in shock
This reminds me of the time I first signed up for Ebay. I wanted to use the word "pussycat" and it kept being disallowed, for some unknown reason. I could use b******s, f*****g without any problem, but not "pussycat". Apparently the word check didn't get past the "pussy" part and it was disallowed as being a profanity!!!!!!!!!!!!

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
i'm in shock
Terrible . but now the the English don't speak English . Its realy funny when hubby is driveing and someone cuts him up , he says " you effin s S O B . calls the kettle a Hotpot and the Tap a Fosset He spent 10yrs in Usa so speaks American English with his Turkish accent i get very confused especialy when we're walking on the Sidewalk !!!

biggles

biggles
i'm in shock
i guess what did not help was boy and sun cream in the thread.

its the same as camerons word . in my mind it means nothing ,but i called my grandson the innocent side of the word and he was outraged . so can omly assume the present day younger generation see it in a different way to my generation .i had to explain to him that it was a innocent word [in my day ] meaning some one who is a fool . not the version the newspapers seem to want to make it .

Last edited by a moderator:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
i'm in shock
Off topic but same vein, saw a Nissan Skyline GTO with the UK Registration :

J15 SOM , amazed that got through the DVLA, pulled up on the bike next to the driver,

nine bob note job.....

Cute.

Steve.

i'm in shock
Biggles - what is Cameron's word??

was just about to ask too...and whats predictive txt...

i wonder what the yanks would make of that olde english classic
''summer is i' cummin in..loud sing cuckoo''
and what about Cumberland..or Chorlton cum Hardy et al

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
i'm in shock
was just about to ask too...and whats predictive txt...

i wonder what the yanks would make of that olde english classic
''summer is i' cummin in..loud sing cuckoo''
and what about Cumberland..or Chorlton cum Hardy et al

We would spell is commin....lol. You guys say Tyres....we say Tires...lots of different words. It was immigrants from the UK that brought English to North America. I love the words and saying the Uk people have, makes me laugh.

Keep them CUMMIN...bahaaaa

Biker Bob

Top Bottom