Frank Morgan

identify this insect
We were walking round the Herakleia site at Lake Bafa and saw this insect. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_4971.jpg
    IMG_4971.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 287
identify this insect
if they really are pale and delicate wings its a large dragon fly...and since you were round a lake its likely
its difficult to tell properly because its looks like its hovering ?
if its a brighter colour then i think it could be a hornet.
nice picture

ZiaCa'

identify this insect
Lovely photo...never seen an insect like that before... have recently seen quite a few dragonflies, one was a lovely deep red.

Oh, welcome to the forum by the way, as just noticed it was your first post!

identify this insect
Hi,

I thinks its a lacewing called a Ribbon-winged Lacewing. Lacewings are usually flying at this time of year and this type can be found in Turkey

Ian

Frank Morgan

identify this insect
Thanks very much. This specimen had a pair of wings more like a butterfly than the oval shape of the lace wing, but the descriptions suggest there must be a great range of different types.

All the best

Hi thanks very much. Yes it is our first time. Margaret and I live near Marmaris. We were on our way back from collecting friends from Izmir airport.
All the best
Francis

Hi and thanks. Yes it might be a dragonfly and someone suggested maybe a lacewing. It was settled on a plant and I did not see it fly.
All the best
Francis

Last edited by a moderator:

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
identify this insect
Hi! Yep it is definately a Thread Lacewing. By the way the Collins Complete Mediterrranean Wildlife photoguide by Paul Sterry is a great buy if you live in this part of the world. I know there is a book shop in Datca that stocks it, if you are not heading back to UK.

identify this insect
Hi! Yep it is definately a Thread Lacewing. By the way the Collins Complete Mediterrranean Wildlife photoguide by Paul Sterry is a great buy if you live in this part of the world. I know there is a book shop in Datca that stocks it, if you are not heading back to UK.

I have just decided to order this - thanks for the tip

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
identify this insect
You won't be disappointed. The book is well worth having.

The other book that I often use is Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean by Marjorie Blamey and Christopher Grey-Wilson published as a Domino Guide by A & C Black of London. ISBN 0-7136-7015-0

Last edited:
identify this insect
One of the pleasures this year was swimming at our complex (Apollon Holiday Village) and have the Dragonflies skimming the water all around, very touching, fascinating creatures.

teresa

Free Thinker
identify this insect
I have seen these in my garden in Fethiye and they are lovely. Thank you for identifying them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom