bickern

I was offended
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo"]I was offended - steve hughes - YouTube[/ame]

I had to laugh but it isn't a laughing matter really, not when someone being slighted by words regarding their sexual orientation or being upset ,n general in the workplace can be awarded sums far greater than someone who has physically been maimed.

bickern

I was offended
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAK0KXEpF8U"]John Cleese: Political Correctness Can Lead to an Orwellian Nightmare - YouTube[/ame]

John Cleese talks a lot of sense here, especially about PC. Humour is critical.

Jaycey

African Refugee
I was offended
I think that posting pics of dangerous booby traps is offensive :27:

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

wqwk9l.jpg

But WTH ! :behindsof

oldfogy

Just passing through
I was offended
I think the main problem with people who offend others is it seems the only way they feel happy is when they offend others but with malice aforethought added in.

Other than that most people just see the for what they are, which is small minded morons.

I was offended
There is a big difference between people being slightly 'offensive' and people being vicious and hurtful at the expense of another group or an individual.

Is it ok to make jokes about a 'woman's place' (I've been the target of so many jokes about that!) or publicly making comments about a Muslim woman on a train wearing a hijab?

Is everybody and everything fair game? Disabled kids-is that ok? People with facial disfigurements-is that ok? Elderly with Alzheimers-is that ok?

Society has to have some shared understanding about being 'offensive'-even if some people think it's humorous-if it causes real emotional pain to people it's not terribly funny is it?

bickern

I was offended
There is a big difference between people being slightly 'offensive' and people being vicious and hurtful at the expense of another group or an individual.

Is it ok to make jokes about a 'woman's place' (I've been the target of so many jokes about that!)

Oh yeah, most definitely I would say.

or publicly making comments about a Muslim woman on a train wearing a hijab?

To the person or earshot of the person certainly not.

Is everybody and everything fair game? Disabled kids-is that ok? People with facial disfigurements-is that ok? Elderly with Alzheimers-is that ok?

I don't think normal people with a normal sense of humour would do or advocate saying things about a person that is not in physically able to change or knowingly say things within earshot of loved ones.

Society has to have some shared understanding about being 'offensive'-even if some people think it's humorous-if it causes real emotional pain to people it's not terribly funny is it?

No one suggests carte blanche but some people are lives victims, too sensitive to anything and everything and therefore need to toughen up. Irish are thick, blondes are thick, especially from Essex, Yorkshire folk put ferrets down their trousers, hmm true? Of course not.

Some people need to get off the victim stool and understand humour is integral to society. Insults masked as humour is a different thing but housewife jokes etc., really are meant as jokes.

bickern

I was offended
As an airplane is about to crash, a female passenger jumps up frantically and announces, "If I'm going to die, I want to die feeling like a woman." She removes all her clothing and asks, "Is there someone on this plane who is man enough to make me feel like a woman?" A man stands up, removes his shirt and says, "Here, iron this!".

mamish

Dolphin dreamer
I was offended
I've seen this video before, but I tended to look at it from the perspective of "taking offence" rather than "giving offence".

Deliberately giving offence with the intention of insulting or harming is despicable, but what about "taking offence" when none was meant?

"Taking offence" is a choice, and perhaps there is too much tendency to imagine offence where none is meant, or to feel "offended" on behalf of someone else who may not have "taken offence" themselves!

And if someone is always ready to "take offence", what does that say about them?

(Just saying.... :behindsof)

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I was offended
I've seen this video before, but I tended to look at it from the perspective of "taking offence" rather than "giving offence".

Deliberately giving offence with the intention of insulting or harming is despicable, but what about "taking offence" when none was meant?

"Taking offence" is a choice, and perhaps there is too much tendency to imagine offence where none is meant, or to feel "offended" on behalf of someone else who may not have "taken offence" themselves!

And if someone is always ready to "take offence", what does that say about them?

(Just saying.... :behindsof)

Need to be sober to take all that in Mamish.....:love:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I was offended
We were always told that it is wrong to mock the afflicted. That normally excludes women but would include people with alzheimers for example. Likewise scousers are fair game but people with obvious disfigurements are not.

oldfogy

Just passing through
I was offended
Strange how one of the worst offenders for mocking people on TLF has not posted anything on this thread (yet)

bickern

I was offended
Everything seems to be being manipulated nowadays for PC. What is happening to success on merit?

------------------------------------------------------------------

ITV will no longer commission comedy shows with all-male writers' rooms, the broadcaster's head of comedy has said.

Saskia Schuster said she realised last year that "an awful lot of my comedy entertainment shows are made up of all-male writing teams".

She said: "Too often the writing room is not sensitively run. It can be aggressive and slightly bullying."

She has now changed ITV's contracts, and female writers have been hired to join shows like ITV2's Celebability.

There has been "a significant lack of shows written by women or with women on the writing teams", she said.

She has now changed ITV's contracts so any shows that are commissioned or recommissioned "must aim towards 50:50 gender representation".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48668652

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I was offended
Great idea but now 50 percent of the writing team will be part time , bit like our GP's .

Steve

Latest Posts

Top Bottom