teresa

Free Thinker
I was a lurker but now I'm here.
I was reading my other forum yesterday and someone referred to readers who never joined as lurkers.

I have lurked on another forum before for a while and never joined - because I never wished to. I have lurked on this one for a little while and it seems to be shaping up well Mushtaq.

My husband and I (bet you never realised your forum was read by royalty) have bought a small place in Calis and I expect to end my days there in an even smaller plot.[xx(]

We have been visiting Turkey for about 8 years now and although I am not a well travelled person, I have never been to mainland Spain or France, Italy, Greece etc, we knew Turkey had everything we could ever wish to find. Lovely people, lovely history, and lovely climate. I discovered honey (always thought I hated it) and I was overwhelmed by the different flavours. The bread (puffy bread in particular) is magnificent and even better the chocolate is awful - although you get different Magnums out there so I am still in trouble. I hate fish in England - and I hate it in Turkey (sorry, I really have tried because I know I should eat it).

Everyone has been so friendly, people came to welcome us and brought us gifts of fruit from their garden. I sat on my verandah in my little garden early in the morning while Mick was asleep and believe me there was no place better on this earth.

I looked at your web site Gail and your place looks lovely,I have never been to Bodrum but I know people who have and loved it. I have never been to Altinkum either, so there is plenty still for us to do.

I think I recognise the names of some of the other members here, and I am pleased to be here as well.

Teresa:)

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Hello Teresa, welcome to the forum, I went to Calis last year, Turkey is a nice place, that's why I'm off again next week [8D]

You said you expect to end your days there, I have been to the cemetery there, and the view is the best in Calis, a very nice place indeed to rest:D

Here is a picture to prove it
calis%20panorama.jpg

You can see more pictures here http://www.fethiyefotos.co.uk

Mushtaq

Lindy

I've just had a look at the Fethiyefotos site - there are some great photos Mushtaq & I like the way it refreshes every 20 seconds to produce a slide show. It brings back a lot of memories but is making me want to be back there right now [V] Never mind only 5 weeks to go :D

teresa

Free Thinker
Thanks Mushtaq, I shall look forward to a long stay before I enjoy that view - what are the land prices like on that site? Do they do buy one get one free?

Lovely photos.

Teresa

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Thanks Teresa,

I wish you a long and plesent stay at your new house in Calis, I'm sure you can get a deal when you need it, a very long time in the future.....

Let's have a mug shot from you, you can also upload pictures to your album, it will be nice to see pictures of your place in Turkey.

Mushtaq

Gail

Hello Teresa

Welcome to the forum, Teresa don't what ever you do persevere with the chocolate because I did and now I like it!!!!! lol

I think we both love Turkey for the same reasons, I have been going for the same amount of time as you also. Haven't seen much of it but when we go to live there we will get about the place and discover all those lovely places I have read about. We have got a friend who has got a place in Hisaronu so we expect to go there quite shortly then we can look at the whole area.

We (Hubby and I) go back out to Turkey in 3 weeks for a fortnight then hopefully we will get over again in October.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Gail:)

Gail

Hey Teresa, nice photograph, the one of you and hubby is very nice also. Was it taken in Calis?

Gail[8D]

teresa

Free Thinker
It was Gail - outside Anna's Bar, which is a firm favourite. We bought our place in January and when we arrived it was freezing - first frost in 30 years we are told. I had packed my sandals and cropped trousers (Ha Ha) and lived in the same trousers and coat for a week. Anna's was one of the few places open and we huddled round the stove at night - and during the day come to that.

The staff are lovely and Mandy is a beautiful hostess. We went there the first night and it was pitch black outside. The next day we realised we had been sitting right on the sea front and hadn't even known the sea was there. We had good fun and we were well looked after. As it is "tourist"(said smugly) season now we don't go there as much, but we will return when it is a bit quieter.

Teresa X

Gail

Teresa, we bought our place last April and the weather was awful so like you I was wearing the same things for a fortnight. We had a wonderful time even though the weather was awful and met most of the restaurant & bar owners as they all drank in the same watering hole so it was great for us. We go back real soon but I phoned my friend this morning and she said they have been having tremors for the last couple of days and in fact they had 2 this morning (Turgutreis, Bordrum) no where near Calis so don't worry. She also said it is the hottest August they have had for quite a few years!! Great for us but not for the poor buggers who are working in it.

Gail[8D]

teresa

Free Thinker
Hello Gail

I have just been reading about the tremors. It seems to have been quite a bouncy one this time. I have only experienced a wobble myself - very strange feeling.

I know it is a very real thing in Turkey and a part of life, but it is a scary part.

Teresa X

Latest Posts

Top Bottom