cjmpiper

I can't even buy a property!!! Help!!
We found a property we liked on the last day of our trip to Turkey. We returned back to the UK and did some research and chose a solicitor recommended on here as we decided to go for it. Unfortunately the agent won't let me submit an offer until I've spoken to the solicitor. I haven't been able to get hold of him for 2 days, since our intial phone call and email stating his services and costs. He hasn't returned my call or emails.
All I wanted to do was pay a deposit by cc or bank transfer, fly out asap and sign the initial sales agreement, sort tax number and bank account, meet with solicitor and grant POA and arrange for transfer of funds. I thought that was how it was done, it seems all the research I did was wrong!!!
Has anyone else been in this situation? Apart from changing agent AND solicitor what else can I do??? Agent said that others are interested in the property so it's probably gone now, buy I want to be prepared for next time!!

You're all saints for buying in Turkey....I'm p'd off already and I haven't even got started!!! I guess you don't have to be mad but it helps eh???

Last edited:
This is my opinion and advice
First you need a bank account in Turkey.
You need to meet people face to face.
Have checks done to make certain the property is free of charges.
Do not be intimidated into paying the majority of the purchase price untill the Tapu is ready for you with Millitary clearance.
let the solicitor pay the monies over not an emlak ( alot of them tell you this is the way it is done.
THINK how you would puchase in england.
I know Turkey is different and turn over can be done in one day if you are Turkish & may be a resident.
My property is in Yalikavak.
You have not given any information on the area you are thinking of purchasing so my help is limited.
GOOD LUCK & Remember that there is a lot of property for sale

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Unles this is an extraordinary property at an extremely keen price i would bet that the agents " other interested parties " exist only in his head.
Steve.

Peregrine

Unles this is an extraordinary property at an extremely keen price i would bet that the agents " other interested parties " exist only in his head.
Steve.

and its surprising how many people fall for that one

dalyansteve

You need to come in person to do the power of attorney, so you might just as well come and do everything from here. You need the tax number to open the Turkish bank a/c and usually there is a 2 day delay for the number to get on the system. Make all payments through the bank a/c, this gives you a paper trail. Do not give anyone POA over your bank a/c you will find you can do all transactions by email or fax to the bank.

Don't worry and don't be rushed as others have said it is unlikely the agent has other people after the same property, business is slow!

PASH

Hi, what Emlak are you using in Yalikavak? Its always good to get some feedback before you proceed. If your lawyer is starting out this way, my advice would be to ask for recommendations and get another one, quite often if a lawyer is recommended by an Emlak, there is something in it for the Emlak. There are plenty of people on here with invaluable advice on how to proceed, my only advice through experience, is never trust anyone and always double check everything for yourself. Good luck

tintagel

It sounds like you've had a Lucky escape..... If they started out behaving like this, lord knows what they'd be like when they've Got yer money :whip:

Do some more research on Emlaks & Lawyers, take your time, properties are going Nowhere.... good luck.

lynne

The other side of the story ?
Actually we are one of the agents but not the original one that showed the property.
Its a renovation property thats got good views and the site security have the key to the property and its been given out several times in the last week to other emlaks& builders. So we definetly know there is interest.Plus the owner called us last night and said he has other people interested. Owner telling truth or not ? We dont know.
Today is a Turkish bank holiday and lawyer is probably not working.
We did not recommend him. We NEVER reccommmend any lawyer & dont work with any.
We said there is one whos English is very good if you need any advice and you knew of two others.
Actually PASH you know who the lawyer is.
Also said we can sort out tax number and bank when you arrive.
Also said get a lawyer to receive the 5% deposit as we feel this is the best & most legally watertight way to do it . Since the whole property needs renovating then the full amount has to be paid to the owner or the renovation cannot be started. Thats why we said you need to do this via a lawyer.
Chris we are more than happy to continue with this sale and hope you know that we are working in your best interest so that you dont have any problems with the purchase now or in the future.

nanamo

I just want to add that you can get POA transfered from the UK, we've done it. We had to sign a form that was emailed from our UK solicitor and send both passports to be translated, not sure how much it all cost as we have paid out much more since then but it was about £350. The POA needs to be notarised and this solicitor did all that for us too, she sent it to another solicitor in Turkey. One tip I would like to pass on is when you do a bank transfer from the UK make sure you state on it what the money is for because apparently just the fact you have sent money to a complete stranger is not enough proof in the Turkish courts that the money was intended for house purchase, they could say you may just have felt like sending a few thousand quid because you felt like it. And please dont worry about your house being sold in the meantime, it could happen but nothing is moving very quickly at the moment. Get everything in writing, one day you could be pleased that you got every little detail in black and white, dont pay up front, insist on time to think and take your time. Its a buyers market. I hope your journey is a smooth one and you get your dream house with no problems, please be wary and have your wits about you the same as if you were spending thousands of pounds in the UK but dont be scared off either. We know lots of people who's house purchases went through with no problems just trust your gut instinct. Good luck. Molly

Last edited:

lesleykay

POA can be arranged in Uk. I have done it myself, If you live near to London you can get document legalised for use in Turkey yourself and it saves you hundreds of pounds - at the commonwealth office.

Peregrine

The other side of the story ?
Actually we are one of the agents but not the original one that showed the property.
Its a renovation property thats got good views and the site security have the key to the property and its been given out several times in the last week to other emlaks& builders. So we definetly know there is interest.Plus the owner called us last night and said he has other people interested. Owner telling truth or not ? We dont know.
Today is a Turkish bank holiday and lawyer is probably not working.
We did not recommend him. We NEVER reccommmend any lawyer & dont work with any.
We said there is one whos English is very good if you need any advice and you knew of two others.
Actually PASH you know who the lawyer is.
Also said we can sort out tax number and bank when you arrive.
Also said get a lawyer to receive the 5% deposit as we feel this is the best & most legally watertight way to do it . Since the whole property needs renovating then the full amount has to be paid to the owner or the renovation cannot be started. Thats why we said you need to do this via a lawyer.
Chris we are more than happy to continue with this sale and hope you know that we are working in your best interest so that you dont have any problems with the purchase now or in the future.

interesting

thanks for keeping it balanced Lynne

cjmpiper - it might be worth a phonecall (not e-mail) to Lynne to talk this through so you understand whats going on

Last edited:
i firstly would not trust any solicitor to pay the balance for you regardless of if he is a reliable one or not. only pay a 10% deposit and pay the remainder of the balance on transfer of tapu to your name if possible
just to safeguard yourself and to protect your monies

Latest Posts

Top Bottom