Dalamanli

Hypermarket for Dalaman (?)
I heard in January that there a plans for a shopping centre out at Ölüm Virajı (Death Corner) which is the junction between the main Dalaman road and the Köyceğiz-Fethiye road. I was told the land has been purchased but no more than that - anyone lese heard anything?

Hi,

I now have it on very good authority that it is true. I've had pictures of the site sent to me but I can't paste them on here (my pc's very cranky!).
The supermarket is Carrefour, I've used them in France and they were very good.

Ann

Dalamanli

Carrefour are dotted all over Istanbul, if they it's the same sort of place there will be clothes, furniture, garden stuff and electonic goods. I think it's a franchise from the French version, Koç Holdings maybe. There may also be a chance of Praktiker for DIY and various small (yet disarmingly expensive) shops in the shopping centre. It is likely to make that road even more of a nightmare!

Hi
Excellent news about the hypermarket for the purposes of getting everything under one roof and not having to go all over the place to different shops haggling. More time to spend in the sun!! Maybe not such a good location though?
Does anyone know when they are planning to build it, and dare I ask, open it? I hope it's not under the same planning docs as the new marina and golf course!!! Still both to be seen to be believed - or not as the case may be.

Karen

Dalamanli

Yavaş, yavaş, followed by **** me! When did they do that? Correcting myself, Carrefour is Sabanca Holdings - not Koç.

turtle-webs

Why does everyone get so excited about hypermarkets opening, more bad news for the small shopkeepers in the area. You know the ones we all love for the friendly welcoming service, the ones that will deliver to your home for no extra charge, the ones already struggling to make a living.

In the UK I felt my salaries went to Tesco, Asda, B&Q and the other eyesores that spread around every town making them all just the same. Huge car parks and wherehouses surrounding empty town centres where only pound shops remain.

I remember shopping as a kid with my Mum, we'd go to the butcher for the meet, the baker for the bread, milk was delivered and there was an iron monger for our tools. I now do the same and so do most here in Turkey. We also do most of it on foot. In the UK Next is on retail park X, 10 miles on the other side of town is Asda then 10 miles further along the ringroad is B&Q and we all go like sheep every Saturday and Sunday.

You may say its cheaper but it isn't. If I want a kilo of mince I go to the buthers and get it, I don't leave with a special offer buy 3 get one free of Pepsi, another of some disgusting sauce that looks good on the packet but we all know will never taste half as good.

I know it will all happen over time, things have to move on, but I'm not happy about these beautiful, lively Turkish towns turning into ghost towns with a string of identity-less retail parks surrounding them.

Do they make Hovis in Turkey??????
Eeeee when I were a lad...............

Seriously though, totally understand where you are coming from, but sometimes needs must, especially when time is against you on holiday. Knowing what I do about how the British love our fellow Turkish hosts, I'm sure there will be more than enough people to continue supporting the local trade, and the super/hyper markets will be left to the "TOURIST" element as a whole anyway. Given the proposed location of the Dalaman shop, most of it will be passing trade/ tourist anyway I would think.

I love nothing more than popping down the road to my local shop, however, very often they have run out or don't stock specific items.
I don't think there is much to worry about at the moment, if the golf course and marina projects are anything to go by, I may even be lucky enough to have retired to Turkey full time just in time for the opening....I'm quite a few years off yet!!!
Cheers - here's to Efes!

Dalamanli

Thıs will be the only Carrefour in the Agean Region, apart from İzmir and, again judging by the Istanbul versions, that size of place relies on Turkish customers, tourists would be a drop in the ocean. If it is the full monty, suspect there will be people coming from Denizli, Burdur and western Antalya quite happily.

I am not sure the impact on local businesses works quite the same as in England, in Ümraniye there are two Carrefour in easy reach, plus in one small neighbourhood, there are 6 medium-sized supermarkets, but the smaller shops still seem to be doing OK, somehow. The price differential is nowhere near as marked between the supermarkets and local shops as it is in England.

Remember too that in many towns the old style of trading districts still exists to some extent; whereas someone in England would think, 'I won't open a linen shop here, there's one here already' to a Turkish entrepreneur it would be 'this is the place to have a linen shop, customers already come here'.

Personally, I like the service, speed and lack of packaging at corner shops and I also like being told if I've picked up a loaf that's past it's best.

We chose Dalaman because it is Turkish, small and not over-developed. The marina and golf-course plans looked like they're intended to be all-inclusive holdiay enclaves that may not ravage the place too much, what concerns me about this shopping centre is that it will be the new advertising pitch for developers 'xx minutes from Carrefour'.

GnD

Hi All

I guess our opinions wont prevent it proceeding but I must say that my two daughters and I actually had the best fun trying out all the available shops for food, comparing prices - the cheapest weren't what we expected, but the most expensive was the petrol station as we fully expected!

We are odd we relish food shoppping -I dont like normal shopping- and nothing beats getting seasonal fruit and vege at any of the markets but Dalaman still seems slightly cheaper. We did see the biggies in Fethiye Migros and Tansas!! However, our favourite is to buy as much as possible locally, as its so much more fun practising our Turkish. And usually a free drink and a laugh thrown it with the goods.

BUT must be honest and own up to that fact that in Portugal we were so very relieved to find we did not have to drive to Alcantrilla -nearly an hour- for everything under one roof as in Lagos there is now Modelo. I think someone earlier in this thread someone hit it on the head saying when on holiday you want everything under one roof. But in my defence the Portuguese are no where near as helpful, friendly and accomodating as the Turkish. No Turkish person has ever snapped at me for mispronouncing something as happened to me twice in Portugal!! Hence all Turkey for us our last Portugal trip this Summer.

Even though when we do come out on holiday in Turkey I want to be part of every day life. Part of our fun was checking out new routes and shortcuts - got off the beaten track once and that was unerving as the road was so so so so bad could not reverse. Only to end up around the back of our own place! A range of emotions were explored in that hour, I can tell you. but that wouldn't have occured if we had not had to explore the local shops first and was exciting to say the least.

I wont say we wont ever frequent this large store , if it comes. But certainly will continue to shop locally, as so much more entertaining. Also, for the responsibility of owning a place in Dalaman, we must support the ideal into which we bought. Sadly I am certain things will change due the numbers of new builds already visible, but we can do our bit to prevent as and where possible and stall changes where not.

Debbie

Debbie

Freda

There is a Carrefour in Fethiye now...its taken Gima over! Personally I still prefer Migros.

Hi There,

I loathe shopping of any description so it won't matter to me if they build a Carrefour in Dalaman or not. I think that the message it gives to other companies and businesses is that Dalaman is a place with potential worth investing in. None of us like change, I'm sure now that we have our houses that we would like it to stay just the same. However, we really need to think more about what is good for the general population of Dalaman. For many years Dalaman was a poor agricultural town, there were very few opportunities for the local population to find good employment. The airport employed a few, but most people (especially women) worked in agriculture. I'm glad that some new opportunities are available now and I hope that it continues. We really can't look at the area as some sort of a theme park that we want to keep the same because it suits us. This is the 21st century and the local population has every right to expect a share in Turkeys improved economic success. The Belediye, I believe, has some plans that would keep certain areas free from over-development (hopefully!).
We can't impede (or even try to) development because we would like Dalaman to remain 'quaint'-it's not our country we're only welcome guests there.

Ann

GnD

Hi Ann

I appreciate and welcome your views of which maybe I hadn't FULLY considered and would not in anyway want to prevent the local people of Dalaman to have an improved wage. That was not my intention in any way. And of course would support more employment opportunities!

I did not say I would boycott this new store, merely continue to support local established shop owners.

I never said I wanted to own their country why could, should and would I and wonder why yet again you challenge or misunderstand every post I make..... ????

Debbie

G&D said:
Hi Ann

I appreciate and welcome your views of which maybe I hadn't FULLY considered and would not in anyway want to prevent the local people of Dalaman to have an improved wage. That was not my intention in any way. And of course would support more employment opportunities!

I did not say I would boycott this new store, merely continue to support local established shop owners.

I never said I wanted to own their country why could, should and would I and wonder why yet again you challenge or misunderstand every post I make..... ????

Debbie
Hi Debbie,

I'm truly sorry that you felt that my contribution was aimed at you-it wasn't at all. If you look back at the general discussion (turtle-webs and dalamanli for example) you'll find that they were far more disapproving.

I wasn't getting at anyone-not you, or turtle-webs or dalamanli I was merely stating my opinion.

I honestly can't understand just why you thought any of this was aimed at you.

I thought that a forum was somewhere where people could voice their differing opinions-I have re-read my post and I don't think that I was abusive or insulting.

I had only intended to add to the debate-not to victimise you in any way.

If other members of the forum think that I've been out of order then I will apologise profusely, as it stands, I will sincerely apologise for any mis-understanding caused by me.

We certainly do seem to have got off on the wrong foot somewhere.

Ann

blue

blue
is the hypermarket on the old site where the bus station was also does anyone been orh as information on thermaris spa near the airport

Hi There,

Not entirely sure but around there somewhere.

I've been to the Therme Maris.
You can pay to go there for the day but there are restrictions on the pools you can use as it became a 'veiled' hotel last year that caters for strict muslims.
They have a web site with the facilities and treatments available-it's quite amazing and the pools are fab.

Ann

Dalaman Deli

Loving Life in Turkey!
Hi Dalamanlı,

It's me again! Just noticed your post about the hypermarket. Our company (we are an Emlak) had a very small involvement with the procurement of this land. It is, as previously said, on the right hand side of the old otogar (if you are facing the otogar) and the land is currently being used to grow water melons.

It's Metro, not Carrefour, who are buying but the sale actually hasn't gone through yet. I understand that there has been a delay from the Metro side but don't know why. They were originally looking for 1000m2 but the largest (suitable) available plot was this one at 550m2, so don't know if this has something to do it.

When I get more info I will post the details.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom