jcrian

Hurricane Monday??
From the Daily Express website..................

HURRICANES TO BATTER BRITAIN ON MONDAY

WINDS of up to 100mph will batter Britain in “the worst storm of the century”, experts warned yesterday.

The hurricane-force storm – predicted for Monday – seems certain to cause stuctural damage to property.

Trees are expected to be toppled across huge swathes of the country and travel faces severe disruption.

Motorists are already being advised not to make journeys while the country is at the mercy of the “rare” weather.

Atmospheric pressure is expected to plummet to its lowest level since 1884 and Force 12 winds will make driving a nightmare.

Weather experts Meteogroup said the drop in low pressure is so extreme that it is known as a “bomb” – a fall of more than 24 millibars in 24 hours – and happens only a handful of times a year.

The worst of the storm is expected to hit the west of the country. Devon and Cornwall will bear the brunt but all areas will be affected.

Independent forecasters Met-check warned that residents of the South-west and North-west are directly in the path of the “worst storm to hit Britain this winter” and should brace themselves 80mph winds gusting to 100mph.

julia

Hurricane Monday??
oooo i hope they die down by wednesday i am flying! at this rate i could don a cape and fly over myself :becky:

maggie

Hurricane Monday??
Earth quakes !!!!!

Hurricains!!!!!

The end of the world is nigh for the U.K. !!!!!!

Glad Im here.

On a serious note i do hope if this does happen everybody wont suffer horrible damage and loss of lives.

Hugs Maggie xxxxxx

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Hurricane Monday??
:eek:hwell: l suppose,one must look on the bright side,now that the English countryside is over run with wind turbines,there will now be a huge production of electricity, aided by the natural elements at work.
A big disadvantage for bird lovers,with many deceased birds scattering the country.

Hurricane Monday??
Good gracious - it sounds like Yalikavak when our glass wall system went flying!!

Seriously though, after reading this article I sent up a word of thanks that my mother (89 years old) is now living safely in a fold (sheltered accommodation) in Northern Ireland and not alone in her own house.

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Hurricane Monday??
We are very glad we are here...

Englands seems to be having some extreme things happening lately.

We have warned our family back in England.

Thanks for keeping us posted jcrian,

Richnkim

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Hurricane Monday??
Well I'm off work next week so I hope it doesn't wake me up too early :bored:
Anyway, I survived the earthquake so what can a bit of wind do to me :becky:

martin m

Hurricane Monday??
Bet my boss still wants me out driving my lorry,
roll on my 60th so i can call it a day.(im only 49)
martin.
P.S Take care any way whatever your doing monday if it is to be a bad un

Hurricane Monday??
Last edited by a moderator:

Duke

Hurricane Monday??
My house in right on the beach here in Sussex so I popped out today to buy an extra Kite ready & waiting ...... Well mustnt waste all that wind must we???
Keep the Faith
Duke
PS The forecast for Tuesday is good so your flights will be fine

jcrian

Hurricane Monday??
Still weather warning on the BBC News site this morning...................

UK braced for storms and flooding

Large parts of England and Wales are preparing for what is predicted to be the worst storm of the winter.
The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings for much of the UK, with winds of up to 80mph (129km/h) expected in south and west Britain.

Forecasters warned storms on Monday and Tuesday could disrupt travel and bring down power lines and trees.

The Environment Agency says strong winds combined with spring high tides may cause flooding in coastal areas.

It is urging people to stay away from coastal areas, particularly in Wales, and the south west and north west of England, from Sunday to Wednesday

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Hurricane Monday??
Well there does not seem to be any sign of hurricans or even wind here today in Leicester - its a lovely CALM day with beautiful sunshine -- c/ heating off and windows open at the moment
Lets see what tomorrow brings !

Guz1

Hurricane Monday??
Nice day here too, but winds up to 130 km per hour forecast for tonight/early tomorrow. I'm a bit worried because we are expecting a relative to arrive from the US tomorrow morning. She was due to come on Friday but the US airport closed due to snow. Fingers crossed she arrives safely tomorrow.

Mushroom

Hurricane Monday??
Guz1

If you've seen the direction and speeds predicted for the gales, I would make sure if you are going to meet your relative, be early, because she should be !!

Andy

Hurricane Monday??
Warning to stay inside and avoid the coast as
'strongest storm of the winter' set to lash Britain

By DAVID WILKES.

Last updated at 17:41pm on 9th March 2008

Winter's most ferocious storm will strike in a devastating two-pronged onslaught that is expected to cause widespread chaos.

Rail and road users were warned to face severe disruption and dangerous driving conditions, while airports and ferry companies told of possible delays and cancellations.

As concern over the potentially extreme dangers posed by the storm grew, the Government's emergency committee Cobra met yesterday to deal with the impending crisis.

Power supplies could be disrupted, trees uprooted and buildings damaged when the predicted gales of up to 80mph take hold tomorrow.

The Environment Agency has urged people to stay away from coastal areas amid fears sightseers could be swept to their deaths as the storm brings the risk of high waves and flooding.

Satellite images issued by the Met Office clearly show the fearsome looking storm just off the west coast of Ireland.

The entire weather front looks bigger than Britain - and the swirling mass that is the area of highest wind speeds is on a direct collision course with the south west and Wales.

Weathermen said gales up to 80mph will begin to drive in to the south west and Wales during the early hours of tomorrow bringing an inch of rain in a few hours, as well as hailstones and lightning in some areas, before sweeping along the southern coast as far as Portsmouth.

The storm - named 'Johanna' by German meteorologists - was expected to hit London in the morning rush hour.

The winds in the capital are expected to be 50 to 60mph, around 20mph less than in the worst hit southern coastal areas.

By lunchtime the worst winds will clear eastwards into the North Sea - but after this brief respite a second thrust of severe winds up to 80mph is predicted to hit the south west and Wales in mid-afternoon which will again spread east.

Winds of up to 80mph are predicted to bring down trees and power lines and disrupt transport, prompting comparisons of the Great Storm of 1987

Both blasts will be caused by the same unusually intense depression heading across the Atlantic from Canada. Forecasters say it "could well be the strongest storm of the winter".

News of the windy double whammy came as commuters were warned the storm could slow Britain's transport infrastructure to a standstill.

A Met Office spokesman said:

"People's journey to work could take longer because of the damage to rail networks. One of the areas we expect to be worst hit by the storm is the west country, where there is always a risk of flooding at Dawlish for the Great Western Line, which goes from Penzance to Paddington via Reading."

The Highways Agency is understood to be considering whether to close some bridges to traffic because of the risks posed by the gales.

Gatwick airport is prepared for possible cancellations or delays when the storm strikes, a spokesman said, while Heathrow was yesterday advising passengers to check with airlines before they travel.

P&O Ferries cancelled its sailings from Portsmouth to Bilbao yesterday because of the severe weather warning, according to an announcement on its website, and its sailings between Dover and Calais were also being delayed by up to an hour.

The RAC advised drivers to be prepared for hazardous driving conditions, allow extra journey time and to 'please take extra care' over the next few days especially on open stretches of exposed toads and when crossing bridges and high-sided vehicles.

David Rooke, head of flood risk management at the Environment Agency said: "People living in properties in low-lying exposed coastal areas along the south west, Wales and north-west England should make sure they are monitoring the situation from Sunday afternoon onwards by checking flood updates on the Environment Agency website or ringing Floodline.

"The strong winds will combine with spring high tides to significantly elevate the water levels along the coast which is likely to cause some flooding.

"We understand that people are fascinated by the sea but at times like this we do urge them not to go and watch the high waves - it is extremely dangerous and only takes a few seconds for someone to be knocked off their feet, into the water." The Environment Agency had severe flood warnings in place yesterday for most of the Devon and Cornwall coast, and was monitoring the situation in parts of Wales and the north west.

Some Westcountry residents were yesterday stacking sandbags outside their homes and businesses as a defence against the predicted floods. Among them was Mark Bettinson, 27, a barman at a pub in Looe, Cornwall, who said: "We're just going to cross our fingers and hope for the best."

Greg Gladwell, director of claims for insurers Norwich Union, said homeowners should take precautions to minimise damage to their house or car.

He said: "Ensure that all garden furniture, potted shrubs and plants, children's toys or anything that is moveable, are properly secured or locked away from the elements. Often it is flying objects that cause the most damage in high winds."

Latest Posts

Top Bottom