Jaycey

African Refugee
How to make friends without Facebook
For those of my generation who do not and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists: I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.
Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later, and with whom.
I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.
And it works just like Facebook..........

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator, and a psychiatrist.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I cannot agree more with the message here, I have no Facebook account and cannot for the life of me see why my real friends would wish to see what I am about to eat!

jakebeak

Jacey that's hilarious. I agree that Facebook is a load of twoddle and how people even have the time to write all that guff down beggars belief. I can remember being at school and arranging face to face with my friend to meet her at the end of our road after school. There were no mobile 'phones and you either turned up or you didn't. The whole texting, twittering, face booking just leaves me cold. Now i'm just going to the toilet LOL...

Tess

LOL :) Jaycey, enjoyed your post, actually now I quite like Facebook, I was a slow starter but in keeping with trying to keep up I have embraced it and enjoy it.
I spend a little time on it, I reckon not too much but enough to keep abreast of happenings.

As an aside, I feel I must tell you, I am currently snuggled up in bed after having a bowl of Special K with berries, a slice of wholemeal toast with a little sneaky lemon curd spread on it, a mug of lovely hot tea, I have a wash on, I have the tumbler on, the kerby bins left out and the dustbins left out, a quick dash to the shop as soon as I finished night shift and now I have no guilt whatsoever to having a little snoop on the forum and I will be honest a little indulgence on Facebook before I have a well deserved snooze xxxxx

Kalkanite

Kalkanite
Without Facebook, how would you know what your kids and grandkids are up to?
Especially when they never seem available to answer Skype.
By the way, I'm sitting in the Turkish sunshine with a glass of homemade wine and my Kindle. Sunbathing weather!

kibris

many people have taken to facebook after experıencıng the nastıness of certaın people on forums--any form of communıcatıon by people far apart ıs fıne by me and great for ex-pats lıvıng ın quıet places round the world who may not have spoken theır natıve tongue for a whıle----lıfe for most people ıs just ordınaıry everyday thıngs and we dont lıve ın a soap opera---currently ım havıng a late breakfast ın bed wıth the lappy and then a slow meander up to the market ın our 20c sunshıne and ı dont care who knows ıt.

kibris

to jaycey
wıth regard to your pm, any post of mıne dırected to you personally would have your name on ıt as thıs one does and as to your recent ıllness ı would try to help anyone ıf ı could regardless of whether ı dısagreed wıth some of theır posts or not. I have posted thıs reply to you here as there seems to be a glıtch on my prıvate messages.

kemerkid

Bystander
Illness jaycey, nothing too serious I hope. I am surprised you have not shared this with your friends on here.

oldfogy

Just passing through
The main thing is to find FB-pages that you like and gives you the information you want,but I will admit that can take quite some doing, but once found they can be a bit like your favourite forum.

Most of the sites just seem to want to brag about how many people they have registered or put into type what they do on a daily basis, most of which must be walking around playing on their phone.

Then they have this thing that you can't block people you don't like or you get banned, wtf is all that about, why have the facility to be able to block people but then ban people for using it.

For those of my generation who do not and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists: I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.
Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later, and with whom.
I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.
And it works just like Facebook..........

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator, and a psychiatrist.

Excellent post Jaycee!

Quote: "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity."

Albert Einstein.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Without Facebook, how would you know what your kids and grandkids are up to?
Especially when they never seem available to answer Skype.
By the way, I'm sitting in the Turkish sunshine with a glass of homemade wine and my Kindle. Sunbathing weather!

I stopped using Facebook several years ago. When I started, a colleague said "Welcome to the biggest time-waster on the planet." and she was correct.

Here is one perspective: Why I Am Leaving (Left) Facebook

You might teach them how to write a letter, either the "old-fashioned" kind with pen and paper or at least tell them that if they want to be in touch they can send you an email letter. Tell them it has to be properly written, paragraphed, spell-checked, and proofread before they send it off.

It worked with my daughter (36 years of age) who is a Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and other such avid user. She may be in the "post-literate" generation but I demanded otherwise. I encouraged and enforced her reading and demanded that she write well as she was growing up and now she does it far better than me. She went to a very expensive university where writing was something students still were required to do 16 years ago.
I get the impression that is fading away and becoming a lost skill except for "R U OK." :132lm:

Jaycey

African Refugee
to jaycey
wıth regard to your pm, any post of mıne dırected to you personally would have your name on ıt as thıs one does and as to your recent ıllness ı would try to help anyone ıf ı could regardless of whether ı dısagreed wıth some of theır posts or not. I have posted thıs reply to you here as there seems to be a glıtch on my prıvate messages.

A glitch in your private messages?? It seems that they only work in one direction. You should post your problem to our geeky friends – you wouldn’t want people to think that you were a keyboard warrior. This isn’t the place for a personal chit chat & I am available on PM, email & Skype!

Illness jaycey, nothing too serious I hope. I am surprised you have not shared this with your friends on here.

Thank you for your concern KK but no illness, I think Kibris is confused. Maybe he is thinking of the hiatus op I had last year and which was the subject of a separate thread.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Are you going to post pictures of your Rhodesian Ridgeback-a-doodle Jacey?

I was holding back on that SH - this is a family forum and I didn’t want to scare anyone.

ampb7m.jpg

Don’t complain that you weren’t warned - a spaghetti monster is a truly fearsome beast.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Any means of communication imho is merely a tool , the kids have moved on in the main from facebook and utilise other means to further their lives.

FB is optional , don't want it , don't do it.

Do i care as to that which others do or not , couldn't care less.

I used to buy and pore over the local newspapers , now i get that which i subscribe to , by choice in my FB news feed , no naughty vicars or Akela's , but Surry Police , local NHS commissioning trust etc. The important thing is i filter in what i want.

The telephone used to be " the work of the devil " , for those of you who think likewise of FB , just think of those lonely folk , perhaps on their own who are able to live a fuller life by " keeping up " with those busy people they may know , but do not have the time or money to keep in touch with otherwise.

FB for many is a novelty , people will get fed up with the sometimes trite . self aggrandising dross , and it , like the news media of yore settle down before being supplanted.

Steve

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom