pldouglas

How to entertain a bored cat
Elvis is bored. He is our HUGE recently adopted tabby who is not impressed with the constant rain here over the past few weeks.
In an effort to entertain him (and stop him beating up the dogs) we have shown him every corner of both garages including dark corners where mice might lurk and all the pipe and copper tube stacked in the rafters.
We have played for hours with the fluffy duster - which is now in shreds.
We gave him free reign to the eaves storage areas in case a spider turned up to play with.
He has had an entire bag of christmas stick on ribbon thingys to kill.
The only carpet in the house (on the stairs) now has great tufts sticking out of it where his claws have been to work.
He ran a mile from the clockwork rat type thing I spent a fortune on especially for him.
He has investigated every last cupboard in the kichen and turfed out the larder - AND STILL HE IS BORED.
At this moment he is under the bed in a spare room calmly tearing at the underside.
Any suggestions as to how to keep him ammused before he wrecks the place and the dogs leave home?

Sara-666

Tie a piece of string/wire between 2 places and hang various things from it such as budgie bells, mirrors etc, worked for me

Sara

Mushroom

Get him a cardboard box to play in, scratch and probably sleep in !1 Works with ours.

Dont know if it will work with a cat but our dog loves an old small plastic pop bottle filled with dried dog or cat food/biscuits it takes him ages to chase the bottle around trying to shake out the treats once he gets one out and tastes whats inside there is no stopping him until its empty.

Jane

pldouglas

Thanks for that. The Dearly Beloved had a good idea - take Elvis to work with him! He would have hours of fun exploring the customers new kitchens - although after the chunks that have been clawed out of our own units I'm not sure thats such a good idea.
He is a monster - a much loved monster all the same.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Have you castrated him? At the very least it would make you feel better - revenge for all the damage - and it might make him link the damage he does to being nutted and make him think twice about doing it again.

The only problem is that it is a ┬┤once only┬┤ option - you will have to think of something else if it does not work.

Ian

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
I am desperate to do something for one of our cats, I think she has depression. She had a big op and a week at the vets and since coming home just sleeps and occasionally eats and sometimes walks down to the garden. Somehow we have got to win with her but she is not the sort to play with things, and as the original post said with all this wet weather boy are they (8 we have) bored.

Our cat Pudding Asbo was a right little swine until we had him castrated, he is now calm and loving but still has a great personality. If your cat hasn't been done, I would definately start there and see what happens.

I bet he is comical though, I love em.

Bibby

Ferretbrain
I am desperate to do something for one of our cats, I think she has depression. She had a big op and a week at the vets and since coming home just sleeps and occasionally eats and sometimes walks down to the garden. Somehow we have got to win with her but she is not the sort to play with things, and as the original post said with all this wet weather boy are they (8 we have) bored.

Poor thing, might be feeling sore. I would just let her do what she feels up to. Better that than her doing something rash and bursting stitches, eh. I know I don't feel like chucking myself around in the garden after an op..... ;)

Harem

I've cliqued
Well my cat Yoda has been castrated. I thought he was just a very clumsy cat with the amount of stuff he knocked down, but when the teapot (unfortunately full of tea leaves and water) was knocked onto the kitchen floor and smashed I began to have second thoughts. And, when, the following evening he got onto the top of a wardrobe and pushed a portable television onto the floor my doubts were confirmed. It wasn't a particularly small portable tv either!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom