BRUSANDRA

How safe is your visacard
Re: How safe is your apartment

sorry but ive forgotten how to put a new thread on been looking but cant find how to do it . well my ? how safe is your visa cards . on the 13 of this mth i went to hsbc nxt to the shopping centre and put my debit card in and a notice came up saying metalic fault and took my card now in there is a phone so i got to speak to some one in english told them what had happened and they said the machine would not get opened untill the following day so as we were leaving at 1 30 in the morning on the 14 we came home and i reported it on the afternoon told them what had happened . they said we will send you a new card wich they did now i have getting my bank statement and the card is being used in turkey they have got the fraud squad in now but what i want to no is how have they getting my card . why when i reported it did barcleys not stop it as it was used on the 13 14 15 and i dont now how many more times just yet . so who ever opens the machine or some one out of the bank has been using it . i dont no yet if it has been used for shopping or what because they couldnt get money out of the machine with out my pin number the money took out is a faIR AMOUNT up to now. i have heard about this before but didnt think it would hapen to me but then again with my luck lately what am i on about lol. so please be carefull with your cards cos i dont no how they do it :27:

Martyn

There is all sorts of scams going on including false fronts, mini cameras etc. Just report it as quick as you can and you should be covered.

RIK

This is what happened to my wife two weeks ago.She tried to use her First Direct Debit Card ( who are HSBC ) in a HSBC Card Machine.It was rejected with the screen explanation saying MEGNETİC FAULT. ( In Antalya by the way ) The card was returned. She tried again, with the same result.Thinking the Machine would take the card if she tried a third time, we left.Thirty Minutes later we tried at our Local Branch and No Problem out came the dosh.Our local HSBC girl told us that if you get a screen saying MAGNETİC FAULT then the Machine is faulty.The only time the machine will take your card is if you enter the wrong PİN three times.I think that we all know this but it is rather disturbing to read Brusandras Post and what happened to her.

Ian

RIK

Hi Brusandra.Must have been one of the Scams that we read so much about.hope that your Card / Insurance Co's are sympathetic.You will need to wait until your card co. sends you a statement asking if it was you that spent the card in the places that they name.If they don't , then your card has been 'read ' unfortunately this happened to me a few years ago whilst I lived in the UK. I have been Paranoid ever since over where I leave my Cards & Withdrawing Cash from Machines.My Wife tells me that I am getting Old.

Ian

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
The banks will never admit that a device has been fitted to a machine but thats what looks like happened to you. They are called skimmers as they scan the card and store the details.Usually do return the card and the scammer then returns and takes the device off then downloads your bank details to a pc. They then use a card programmer and just store the details on a blank.

At least your bank will refund you as it's an obvious scam.

Guz1

I usually use my visa card to pay for petrol in Turkey. On one occasion the staff in the petrol station stood beside me watching as I entered my pin no. On my most recent visit to Turkey the shop assistant at a petrol station just past Selcuk actually asked me to call out my pin number so she could enter it into the credit card machine which wasn't accessible from the counter. On neither occasion was the information used to steal money from my account, but I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience in Turkey and, if so, is there a diplomatic way oftelling them that you don't want to divulge your pin number?

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Guz1 said:
I usually use my visa card to pay for petrol in Turkey. On one occasion the staff in the petrol station stood beside me watching as I entered my pin no. On my most recent visit to Turkey the shop assistant at a petrol station just past Selcuk actually asked me to call out my pin number so she could enter it into the credit card machine which wasn't accessible from the counter. On neither occasion was the information used to steal money from my account, but I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience in Turkey and, if so, is there a diplomatic way oftelling them that you don't want to divulge your pin number?
Why be diplomatic ???? Just tell them that your pin number is private -- ozel
Yes unfortunatly there are alot of scams going on at the moment - in Yalikavak beware of the cash machine in the OYAK bank - I know of 4 people in 3 weeks losing card & within 1 hour of reporting it there has been money taken out in IZMIR - Milas & Cesme !!! Also there has been a few people who have had their bags stolen - my friend had hers whipped whilst shopping in Metro
Just be careful & vigilant

This has happened quite a bit in Tonbridge but our local bank showed a display of one of these devices that clip over the original slot and its a good idea on every machine just to check all the plastic is flush over the area and nothing looks odd before submitting the card. Our bank said the cash machine is a solid fascia with no bolt ons or clips and if people inspect it first its possible to glimpse the scammer fitting sitting forward as a proud service not flush with the normal machine.
Also on the PIN question we agree and were amazed in the Migros supermarket when the assistant asked for our PIN number and entered it herself. In the UK the assistant gives you the machine so we were staggered!
We think you have to politely ask to do it yourself.

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Guz1 said:
I usually use my visa card to pay for petrol in Turkey. On one occasion the staff in the petrol station stood beside me watching as I entered my pin no. On my most recent visit to Turkey the shop assistant at a petrol station just past Selcuk actually asked me to call out my pin number so she could enter it into the credit card machine which wasn't accessible from the counter.
I find similar behaviour in banks and at cash points - a nosey person reading your documents or looking at the screen with you. A Turkish friend says it is common in Turkey and he once got into a fight in a bank because he stopped someone, who was being nosey, reading his papers at the counter.
I think it curiosity, but if you watch in banks it is happening all the time - very un-British, but perhaps a bit Turkish in the same way that I am asked quite bluntly how much money I have/earn and strange looks when I tell them to mind their own business.

Ian

lynnmcl

Hi All,
Just came across this link highlighting Turkey as being the no 1 destination for card fraud.

Take care in Turkey
Although cardholders can fall victim to fraud anywhere in the world, new research by Barclaycard has identified the top ten overseas card fraud hotspots.
According to the study, British holidaymakers have reported the highest incidence of card fraud in Turkey, with France, Spain and the US also rife with fraud activity.
In fact, these four destinations, all popular destinations for holidaying Brits, accounted for 56% of all fraud cases on UK-issued Barclaycards which originated abroad last year.
Other popular holiday destinations identified by Barclays as fraud hotspots Italy, Thailand and the Republic of Ireland.
Martin Warwick, head of Barclaycard Fraud Operations, was not surprised that popular tourist destinations topped the fraud blacklist. “More tourists means more cards that can be lost or stolen,” he explained.
Warwick added, however, that while cardholders should be extra-vigilant when using their plastic abroad, they should not be deterred from doing so altogether.
“I’d remind cardholders that taking their card abroad is still safer than carrying cash, as cardholders are not held liable for any losses from fraudulent activity,” he said.
The top 10 in full
Ranking Country
1 Turkey
2 France
3 Spain
4 United States
5 Italy
6 China
7 Thailand
8 Republic of Ireland
9 India
10 Netherlands

Take care & enjoy your hols. :36:

http://money.uk.msn.com/Specials/Holiday_Money/article.aspx?cp-documentid=677360

Last edited:

Susan

Non Active Member
Here in the Middle East where we live we have to let our bank know when we are going to travel to foreign countries and the dates and may be using our cards.

I forgot one year and they even phoned me to say that a small transaction had taken place on my card in Turkey and was checking to see where I was.

Maybe UK banks should start doing this.

Susan

Last edited:

aitchij

aitch
Brusandra which machine was it, I know the move about but handy to know. I got a call a couple of years back from the fraud department in my bank TSB asking if I could confirm I had made the following transactions one was a top up for my phone I said yes the other was 895.00 in a camera shop in Spain, It turned out that my card had been cloned my card details someone elses name on the card but the shop keeper thought they seemed nervous and called for a detail check and they ran off. Leaving the card with the shopkeeper who called the spanish police. This was my debit card that had been cloned. The guy at the fraud department said the deatils may have come from my card but also to be careful to shread all receipts and anything with even partial details on it.
But it is a horrible feeling....

BRUSANDRA

hi it was the hsbc machine nxt to the indoor shops nxt to the taxi rank . first time of all the yrs ive hadmy card this was a depit card as well

RIK

hi Susan.I have to tell HSBC. UK. If I am going to use my card abroad otherwise the transaction will not go through.Bit of a Bugger when you live in Turkey so I just use my Turkish Card for Turkey and the UK one for anywhere else.

Ian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom