turkey4me

How Much???
We are thinking of moving to Alanya - we already have a place there and were wondering on average how much it costs to live for a month.
Can we bring our Staffy (who is a big softy), what about dentists, doctors and hospitals, can we bring our car over - is it an easy drive from England? HELP!!

Tess

How Much???
Hi and a warm welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy. Sorry I cannot answer any of your questions when in Turkey I hang out in Altinkum, would love to visit round your parts sometime though. Someone from Alanya will be along soon I would think and maybe could address some of your questions. Take care.

How Much???
Hello there..a warm welcome to the forum.
İ have lived in Alanya for many years now and know the area very well.
There are excellent medical facilities from private clinics hospitals and the Devlet hospital too.
Your dog will also be fine here ..we have some good vets.
As for costs it depends on your lifestyle, but for normal living you can live very well here for less than it costs in the UK.
Whereabouts in Alanya have you bought a place?
There are very many expats from all over the globe living here.. and a growing number of Uk and İrish Expats.

butt007

Warren
How Much???
Hi T4Me, I'm always pleased to try to help someone if I can, so, here's our experience.

Being retired we came here to live (Konakli) April 2007. We don't have a car cos it's too beaurocratic plus petrol is quite expensive 3.33liras (£1.33/ltr)

If you are going to live here full time you will have to consider in the cost of a residents permit, we paid 5,000liras for two 5 yr permits, otherwise it would mean leaving the country every 3months then paying a tenner to come back in.

Cost of living, well we manage quite OK with 500liras/week, in fact we always have some left over so we put that to one side to go towards the leccy bill or whatever.

We brought our dog here with us (a toy poodle) in fact the flight from Manchester cost more for her than it did for us two £319 as against £303 for us, but your vet will explain all about Defra and exporting of dogs etc.

I don't know whether you are retired or not but work permits are extremely hard to get.

We also are from Cheshire-----Little Sutton on the Wirral, anyway, been here 2 and half years almost now and don't regret a single minute of it.
Warren

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
How Much???
I live further north and not sure if the cost of living is different up here (I did think that the Bodrum peninsular was more expensive than most places) but we can live on less than 500 TL a week and we do run a car so really it does depend on your lifestyle, we don't eat out much but do like to go for a few drinks a couple of times a week

Peregrine

How Much???
..............- we already have a place there and were wondering on average how much it costs to live for a month.
.................. HELP!!

just remember to take into account the 35p you will be short changed when you exchange your £ for TL.

It can all add up (so we are told)

ps - how much to live depends on what you do and how often you go out to eat.

Last edited:

turkey4me

How Much???
Thanks for your reply and your good wishes. We have bought our place in Cikcilli. We have had it for 4 years now and feel we are ready to move over after many fantastic holidays which are never long enough. No doubt we will have lots more questions so I may need your help again!!

turkey4me

How Much???
Wow, how wonderful and happy you sound. Thanks for that very useful information. We have a place in Cikcilli and have had it for approx 4 years now. You make everything sound like it is possible - I have an Occupational Pension as I took Voluntary Redundancy so if we could live on the 500 Liras per week we could manage. Oooh I am so excited now. I will have lots more questions no doubt!! Thanks again.

Peregrine

How Much???
you need to condider to key things

inflation rates - in Turkey and the rate at which your pension goes up

exchange rates - currencies are volatile and the amount of TL you get might vary over time

and think about the experience of Greece and others when the Euro came in - might yet happen to Turkey

pldouglas

How Much???
Its about doing your homework inside out and then doing it again - and again.
There are dozens of threads on this subject on the forum - just use the SEARCH button and ask away - but remember that not everyone has the same opinions on what is a good lifestyle. These opinions are often based on the comparison to the life they have/had in the UK or wherever thier 'home' country was.
For example - no amount of money would ever convince me that our beautiful villa in Yalikavak was where I wanted to live permenantly. I prefer England any day, but thats only my opinion and we do know one couple who are very happy in Turkey.
Others cannot wait to flee the rain/recession/work whatever in thier home country, but do ensure the grass is going to be greener before you go for good, because as many have found to thier cost, selling up and coming back is not easy at all.
Good luck!

How Much???
As Pldouglas pointed out there are both sides of the argument here on TLF.
We naturally ALL love Turkey to a certain degree as thats why we are here!!

Some dont like their area of the UK and cant wait to get away understandably because Turkey HAS to be better!!

Others like Stella and myself have a great life in the UK in a lovely area and have no wish to spend all year in a foreign country!!

You will never get any definite answer from a majority that will ever make your mind up!!
You either do it or you dont and the decision plus any consequences is entirely up to you ,depending on your lifestyle here at present

Last edited:

patrish

How Much???
I'm afraid your dog is on the list of dogs you are not allowed to bring into Turkey.This was just asked the other day on the AA forum.I was shown the list by the Jandarma when out walking my dog,a setter,if anyone around had any of the dogs on the list.The person who did ask about her Staffie inquired herself and has now decided she will have to leave it unfortunaly with family

turkey4me

How Much???
Thanks for that information - how awful!! What a shame these beautiful dogs have such a bad reputation - they are truly devoted to their master and I know it depends on the owner and how they have been brought up - bit like kids really!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom