ceemac

Shake It Baby...
How Long?
Just as a matter of complete curiosity, how long have those of you resident in Turkey been living there, and what changes have you seen in that time?

I promise you there's no poll involved in this heheh

C

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
How Long?
5 years.

The most significant change is the huge rise in the general cost of living.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
How Long?
just over 3 years and I agree with KKOB the cost of living has risen astranomically, also in this area there are more and more all inclusive hotels and fewer and fewer tourists in bars and restaurants

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
How Long?
We have lived here for 5 1/2 years but owned our villa in Torba since 2002. The changes we have seen are enormous. Of course the coming of Kipa has made a difference and to be honest there are very few goods that I cannot get but there are many goods that I would have difficulty finding at reasonable prices in the UK.
Koctas, when we first came over we wanted a battery charger, they and garages had never heard of them, we have since seen them in Koctas plus many things that one would find in their B&Q english stores.
Computer goods also are improving all the time.
Driving from Bodrum to Kipa it is very noticable that the little shack type shops and stores are being pulled down to be replaced with modern shops.
The usage of every bit of spare land to build villas has turned the area into little Spain in fact I should say big Spain. How they hope to sell so many I really do not know but I for one would not buy some of them they are up very steep hills and built so close together that you could shake hands with your neigbour.
Needless to say most of the local workmen have dollar signs in their eyes, but there is hope for us all as the longer we live here to more we know and can hopefully get better workmanship and better prices.
Prices have escalated but they have everywhere. Interest rates are down so much that we have to tread more carefully but so what we love it here.
Just one thing I would ask everyone please do not buy or have anything done at the original price quoted because you think it is so much cheaper than England, you are doing us residents a diservice.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
How Long?
'The usage of every bit of spare land to build villas has turned the area into little Spain in fact I should say big Spain. How they hope to sell so many I really do not know but I for one would not buy some of them they are up very steep hills and built so close together that you could shake hands with your neigbour.'

The ironic thing is that many tourist areas sent scores of officials to Spain to see what they could learn regarding what they got right and what they did wrong - they obviously picked up a lot.......

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom