carolk

R.I.P
How long should heating element last in solar system?
I am asking because mine has lasted just over a year so, in fact not two winters. the switch keeps switching its self off. App its not the wire as this is one piece from heating element to switch not the switch (according to an electrician) so it must be heating elements thermostat telling it its over heating as I am only getting luke warm water! Any one heard of this, is it correct and do I need a new one? Any experiences appreciated please.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
just replaced my element and thermostat in my brand new sunmax system it was under guarrantee excellent service from sun max near yali

they can go faulty, what you describe is exactly what happened with ours

martin

mollag

Kipper restorer
Do you mean the immersion heater in your solar panel tank? and is it your RCD [main switch} which turns off?

REDDERS

Carol,have you checked the temperature setting for the thermostat to cut out at.I think you will find they adjust from 50 to 80 degrees.If you want HOT water it needs to be set at 80 degrees.We haven't had that problem,ours has been that the heater does not cut out when it reaches the set temperature,so allowing the water to literally boil in the tank,got up at 5am one morning for a call of nature,to hear a gurgling noise coming from the roof,turned the sink tap on only to get a room full of steam & water splattering out of the tap.We had forgotten to switch the immersion off the night before.Now we have invested in a 1 hour clockwork timer to remind us to switch the immersion off.
I should say this is the 3rd element we have had in our roof tank in 18 months,all suffering with the same problem.

Martin..

carolk

R.I.P
Hi Mollag, I mean the heater in the solar panel for when there is no sun. The switch keeps flicking its self off whereas before I had to turn it off and so the water is only luke warm.

Redders, mine used to be like yours before but, now after about 15mins it just switches its self off.

Last edited:
i find they never seem to last more than one winter !!! i think maybe the limescale builds up on it and they dont last

altinkum kev

Non Active Member
Remove and clean off the lime scale very rare you have to replace one, i do them all the time.

carolk

R.I.P
Kev, how do you clean off the lime scale please?

mollag

Kipper restorer
Hi Mollag, I mean the heater in the solar panel for when there is no sun. The switch keeps flicking its self off whereas before I had to turn it off and so the water is only luke warm.

Redders, mine used to be like yours before but, now after about 15mins it just switches its self off.

It is faulty, do replace it they are not expensive, faulty heaters and water make for dangerous problems.

REDDERS

Our last one,about 11 months ago was 30tl including labour.
Martin..

The electrical connections on the roof are worth checking.

Making the connections waterproof is beyond the wit of some installers. They seem to think that an inch or two of tape and a dob of sealant will give a perfect seal.

altinkum kev

Non Active Member
Kev, how do you clean off the lime scale please?
You have to remove it from the tank as you would to change it for a new one and you can gently tap off the scale with a pin hammer or similar, its just the same as a kettle element if you use the tap water they dont tend to last to long,if you are local i will have a look for you if needed.

gren

How refreshing it is to see a useful thread for a change.
Thanks Cazzer!

If you rest the element in hot, strong vinegar overnight it will dissolve the limescale.

the heater element is of a rule in the tank, the thermostate controls wheather it switches on or off ,one side of the thermostate is life when cools down switches the live supply to heater element, easy check if you do not have multi meter is, cheap neon screw driver check supply from switch going to thermostate when cold should give live feed to heater element and when reach the set temp before cutes the supply to the heater element hope this helps iam electrician.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Neil

I am an electrician and wouldnt recomend anybody to attempt to test any equipment whilst live, pretty dangerous !

martin

yes martin i understand what you are saying how would you check if there is a live feed up to the tank unless power on, apart from belling the cable out? there may be a break in the cable from switch to the tank ,there for simple check with neon screw driver can save people a lot of money, as most of the electricians over there are not skilled and you should no that when you look at there work, but if you do no skilled electrician let them do the work.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
neil i still wouldnt advise that anybody test anything with a neon driver, if the neon is faulty you could think that the circuit is dead, when actually it might be you !
a neon would not indicate resistance in the switch its self
though i do agree with you about the level of skill, waiter until end of september, then electrician or plumber in the building season

martin

martin could allso be the same with multi meter if faulty, but most of the socalled electricians in altinkum do not have multi meter or no how to use one, only use neon, but do take your point only trying to help members

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
martin could allso be the same with multi meter if faulty, but most of the socalled electricians in altinkum do not have multi meter or no how to use one, only use neon, but do take your point only trying to help members

better to let the waiter/electrician change it, he will probably do it live any way.

martin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom