turtle-webs

How far would £500p/m get you?
I think you would lead a very poor life. Take 500ytl for rent, certainly if you want to laze by the pool. Another 200ytl to cover phone, adsl, electric, gas, etc. Our average weekly shop for 4 is around 150-200ytl, say 100ytl for 2, OK we get some luxuries and some meat but not too much but no booze. So anyway that is approx 1100 spent. If you want a car then 500ytl a year tax, 500-750ytl a year insurance plus the cost of the car and petrol/diesel that is more expensive than the UK. Winters are cold and heating by anymeans is not cheap.

If you want health care expect 1500-2000ytl a year each for cover or there abouts.

If you'd asked me a year ago I would have said it was more than enough but prices seem to be constantly on the increase. Food is getting more expensive despite the influx of hypermarkets, OK these are cheaper than local supermarkets in some casts but there is so much more on offer you end up spending much more.

Hope this helps some.

Karyn UK

I agree with Turtlewebs, its pushing it really. A resort location that is near to the beach and has access to a pool will push your rent up. If you plan to run a car as well it would be tough going. I recon I spend about 600ytl a month on food shopping alone but that includes buying bits and pieces for the kitchen as we need them. Heating is a big price unless you manage to get a house which actually has insulation (roflol) and is designed to stay warm.

Depending on what and where you rent you may just manage it but if you are on a fixed income for a long time you are at the mercy of inflation and what works this year won't work next year as prices rise.

K

turtle-webs

Yes 2000 ytl a month would be much better. Council Tax, water bills are not really much to worry about as they tend to be so small.

Rents will vary dependent on where you are and what you want. I based my figures on I pay rent in a nice part of Izmir (Guzelbahce) at 500ytl for a 3 bed apartment 200yds from the sea but not much of a beach. And that we earn 250ytl rent on an apartment we have in Ortaca/Mugla that is the same size as the Izmir one but is 10km from the sea. Izmir is higher more because of the employment opportunities than location to sea. If you want Kusadasi, Bodrum or other large resort you will be more like Izmir prices, maybe slightly lower but allowing for a pool will bring it up to the same sort of level.

One thing we've forgotton is Residency, around 500ytl a year I think. Or factor in the costs of hoping in and out the country every 90 days.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
You won't need to get a Residence Permit. You're better off, pricewise, renewing a Tourist Visa after 90 days, especially if you intend spending part of the year in Egypt.

alison09400

Rents ın Kusadasi start from 500ytl (longterm rental) for an apartment. Shared pool can be found for this amount but 700ytl would be a bit more realistic. I have heard of rentals up as high as 1,200ytl.

Alison

Karyn UK

I think Turkish rates are dropping or soon will be as the bank base rate is down around 16% with aims to be down to 10ish soon as possible.

K

red

Hi Paul

Are you planning on switching off and tuning out?:) If so congrats and good luck with the research.

Last edited:

leylaasena

You can rent an apartment in Altınkum for 250 - 300 ytl a month but probably not with a pool.

I'd agree that 2000ytl is a realistic figure especially if you're going to eat in a lot and not run a car.

I am going to rent long term in Altinkum for £150 per month, that is for a 3 bed villa with private pool. When i put my request for a rental on the forum, i had 15 reply's, so there are plenty of places out there.

We are hoping to get by on about 2000 YTL per month, even less if we can, i believe that providing you have got food in your fridge and cupboards, you could go days without spending much money, just chill out on your terrace and enjoy the weather.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sharon

Saoirse

the figure being quoted in this thread of 2000ytl a month is almost twice the average wage
More than enough to get by comfortably

v6cod

Living in Okcular
I was enquiring from some ex-pats in the summer and they reckon £600 a month was very comfortable mind you didn't include renting somewhere in that.

no-nem

House next door to me up for rent...3 bedrooms + 2 childs bedrooms on 2nd floor, not furnished, Garden, roof terrace,10min walk to Paradise beach...350ytl inc. Aydat. So providing you look you could do quite well.

turtle-webs

saoirse said:
the figure being quoted in this thread of 2000ytl a month is almost twice the average wage
More than enough to get by comfortably
Actually my wife heard a radio broadcast the other day that suggests 1500ytl is the current minimum for a family to survive comfortably, given that you'll probably eat more meat than the average Turk and maybe go out and about more often I think 2000ytl is right.

Saoirse

Given that the average Turkish family is often 5 or 6 people 2000ytl would be more than enough for 2 people

sharon and eric said:
I am going to rent long term in Altinkum for £150 per month, that is for a 3 bed villa with private pool. When i put my request for a rental on the forum, i had 15 reply's, so there are plenty of places out there.

We are hoping to get by on about 2000 YTL per month, even less if we can, i believe that providing you have got food in your fridge and cupboards, you could go days without spending much money, just chill out on your terrace and enjoy the weather.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sharon
Hi Sharon
Hope the house sale is going ok and you will soon have your dream.
To rent a 3 bed villa WITH pool for about £34 a week is incredible and we in the UK have no concept of being able to live in a property like that for the price of my weekly petrol bill.To top it all you had 15 replies which is great.
I continue to struggle however with the idea of letting others live in my property with the damage and care risks involved from complete strangers and getting such insignificant returns from the rental.
Its great that you have done so well but to the owners I ask "why bother?"
Let me know how things are going if you can

FYI we actually live, two people, on 600 YTL a month! That's about £250. All our day-to-day living costs (except rental because we own our own property) come out of that: bills, food, clothing, transport, even entertainment. I think the main reason we can do this is because we're two adults who are both choosing to live on a budget; and because my other half is an excellent cook who makes everything from first principles! Oh yes and we don't smoke and rarely drink.

Even so, anything out of the ordinary takes us / would take us over our budget - a burst tire, dentist treatment, speeding ticket, even more phone calls than normal.

But it does go to show what you can do if you're careful. Think about that, when you're trying to budget on 2,000 YTL a month - that's 3 month's living for us! ;)

Saoirse

Laura to read some of the posts on this subject you would have to assume some of the posters are living on caviar! 2000 ytl a month, ya would live like a king

no-nem

Yes I have to agree, I didn't enter this as I thought what the hell are they going to do with all that dosh for a monthly spend....This is Turkey not cheyne walk Chelsea.

Sara-666

We own our own place so rent doesn't come into it but for 4 of us including sending our 4 year old to a private nursery, running a car, buying baby milk (cok para!) food, electricity (including heating and air con), water, going out as and when we want, monthly sitei charge etc we can live comfortably on 2000YTL a month.

Good luck if you decide to do it, best decision we ever made

Sara

Saoirse

no-nem said:
Yes I have to agree, I didn't enter this as I thought what the hell are they going to do with all that dosh for a monthly spend....This is Turkey not cheyne walk Chelsea.

LOL! I totally agree

Latest Posts

Top Bottom