Useful Information

Lez Zetli

Bacon and eggs
How do you pay motorway tolls around Izmir as a visitor 2022? [SOLVED]
[Solution post #8]
I'm an ex-ex-pat and recently drove into Turkey at Ipsala from Greece in my UK registered vehicle. I was astonished at how palatial and well organised the customs area had become and pleasantly suprised at the modern motorway network that it fed into, unlike the days of dodging donkeys and mopeds coming towards you on the wrong side of the road. I was pleased at how I was able to pay at all of the toll booths by credit card instead of having to work out how to get hold of an HGS sticker, including the bridge near Gellibolou.

However I shall soon be meandering up from Antalya to join the Aydın-İzmir-Çeşme otoyol and last tıme I was there there was not a hint of a toll booth to be seen let alone one that accepts cash and credit cards. As a visitor with foreign plates how do I pay?

Looking forward to a plethora of conflicting opinion... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Hope this thread is of help, it has a section headed....
Important Note for the Drivers of Vehicles with Foreign Licence Plates that Will Use Tollways

Lez Zetli

Bacon and eggs
Thanks Tenpin. I read that when I did my search and sadly it's now out of date.
Quote:
Vehicles with foreign licence plates must register for OGS or HGS before using the tollways and must have sufficient credit in the account for the toll fee.
/end quote
As I reported in my post foreigners are now able pay without registering for HGS, at least in the north.

Lez Zetli

Bacon and eggs
After finding gov.tr websites on the subject here's a summary of how to pay for motorway tolls if you have foreign plates. Although there is no mention about paying by cash or credit card at toll booths I know that you can in some cases.
If there is no facility for paying by cash or credit card at a booth you should buy an HGS sticker from either a PTT or a Shell petrol station advertising an HGS service and load it with as least as much lira credit as you need for your journey. Apparently there's a PTT at the border - missed that!
If you are unable to buy an HGS sticker you can make your journey and you should buy an HGS sticker within 15 days. Your debt will be deducted from your credit.
If you leave it for more than 15 days you will receive a fine.
You can pay outstanding debts including fines for traffic offences on line. This must be done before you turn up at customs to leave the country.
If you turn up at customs with unpaid debts you will not be allowed to leave the country until paid.
Links:
Vehicles with foreign licence plates
Foreign Vehicle Payments
Toll rates

Last edited:

Chasey

SO when we drove from Istanbul to Antalya we went on a toll road which gave us a paper ticket but there was no payment booth.

We were supposed to pay on line using The Otoyol App but this simply didn't work even when we asked a Turk to do it for us

In the end, we had to take the slip to a government bank (Ziraat) to pay it. We tried two before we found one that could understand our UK plate and input the ticket

Lez Zetli

Bacon and eggs
SO when we drove from Istanbul to Antalya we went on a toll road which gave us a paper ticket but there was no payment booth.

We were supposed to pay on line using The Otoyol App but this simply didn't work even when we asked a Turk to do it for us

In the end, we had to take the slip to a government bank (Ziraat) to pay it. We tried two before we found one that could understand our UK plate and input the ticket
Exactly the reason for my original post - so much confusion and exceptions from how it's supposed to be. You probably came across statements that you can't pay on line, hence your trip to the bank. And yet I found a link to pay on line, see my last post. On reflection I think that's only for people who've already registered their car with HGS.

Chasey

Exactly the reason for my original post - so much confusion and exceptions from how it's supposed to be. You probably came across statements that you can't pay on line, hence your trip to the bank. And yet I found a link to pay on line, see my last post. On reflection I think that's only for people who've already registered their car with HGS.

I think (but I am not sure) the issue with the online payment was it couldn't accept the UK format number plate. It deffo stumped the banks

I have had the same problem in reverse with Turkish post codes being rejected.

Lez Zetli

Bacon and eggs
Done it!
I travelled on the Aydin to Çeşme otoyol a couple of days ago wıthout buyıng an HGS pass. I have just paid on line by English credit card. Here's how:
Go to the link below and learn your debt. You enter your car reg plate, it displays your name and It tells you which sections of otoyol you used and the price to pay. Then pay it!
Warning! It tells you that there may be system delays so that your otoyol usage might not appear within the 15 days grace in which case you'll get a penalty. To avoid this it suggests buying the HGS sticker in which case your debt will automatically be deducted from your balance.
HGS payment
(use Google translate)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom