mikehibb

How do you do it?... Internet
Well how do you do it?

I do not have residents permit as I visit every eight weeks for two weeks stay at a time so tourist visa gets me two trips. Much cheaper.
However down side is that I can not get a land line contract and hence no internet either.

On the way over this trip, I overnighted in Istanbul and bought a Vodafone dongle at the vodafone stand at the airport. Process took just 20 minutes, most of this was them registering the sim card on the system.(paperwork was easy, they only needed to photcopy my passport) The Dongle is plug and play, it automatically recognised my laptop was set to English. The only thing I needed to select was the system to connect to, not hard as the drop down menu lists all the vodafone systems, "vodefone Tr" was obviously the one I needed. The guy at the stand was there to help anyway.

100 TL for the Dongle inc introductory 1 Gig. 20 TL for the PAYG sim card.
I also added an extra 1 Gig top up at 30 TL.

When not in Turkey my usage is less than 3 gig per month (inc Youtube) so I guess that 1 Gig will be more than enough each trip over here.

Reception/connection speed is 100% where I am. However I do have line of sight to the radio tower near Gumusluk.

Will take the laptop roaming around with me this trip to check out coverage around the peninsula.

Previously I have relied on the free marina connection, my boat is there anyway, so it is my contract.

Geat to be online at home now. After the original outlay for the dongle and the PAYG simcard, the 30 TL per gig top up seams quite reasonable, apparently it is based purely on usage, not on time limit, still need to check that out further.
So at two weeks per trip and just surfing the TLF and boating forums along with checking emails, should last a while.

Just tried SKYPE to and it worked OK, not sure how much bandwidth it takes, only used voice not webcam this time.

...Just checked the dongle, and I have used 25 Meg in two days inc a five minute chat on Skype to SWMBO. So looks very good.
When you factor in SKYPE instead of international mobile phone calls I am saving even more of the hard earned.

Turkcell have the VNN dongle system, I asked about this last trip, it appears to be contract only with monthly payments. Monthly rate looks good at under 20 TL per month, but you have to pay that every month, no PAYG option that I could find. (for me PAYG pay for what I use on vodafone is a better option)
What was worse, I was informed that they need residents permit or Notorised passport translation, letter of reference from Turkish bank proving 2000 TL in acount etc etc, the only thing that they did not need was the name of my Dear old Grandmothers Dentist

Mike

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Hi Mike

tried to buy the dongle at the vodafone shop in bodrum a couple of weeks ago, they wanted 185 TL for the dongle plus the sim plus 40 TL per month, but like you as a regular visitor every 6 to 8 weeks or so I wanted pay as you go so felt this was pretty expensive

Sounds like you got a good deal there, will check it out next visit

martin

mikehibb

Yalimart:

That was what I was told last trip too.

They had the white dongle at 175/185 TL (1 Gig monthly contract, depends where you go to) or the black dongle (5G contract) at 250 TL, both required a monthly contract.

They still offer this, obviously as they make more money out of it.

I got the new on the market PAYG deal, not sure when this was introduced, definatley not last trip 8 weeks ago. I have a white dongle which has same upload and download speed as the contract version white dongle. The black dongle was a higher upload speed and is for more business like use, ie up loading files etc.

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
We have company internet which is wireless. At home we use the Vodafone Dongle. It is free for the first 3 months then 45ytl per month for 5GB. Always got a connection and it is fast almost all of the time. You cannot get this if you are not a resident.

may

Hi, I have been very lucky for the last year I have been sharing my neighbours trlephone line to get the internet, she lives in the apartments over the back from us and for one year now we've had a telephone cable coming from hers to ours and the charge was 15lira per month. Last Monday she informed me she was having it taken out as he bill was over 100lira she showed me the bill I offered to give her the money for it but she declined, she said her husband said it was to be taken out.
On the Tuesday I applied for my blue book to get my own phone at the cost of 1,530lira for two of us, but Idid have a good run for my money for 1 year.

If you have a turkish friend you can get it in his or her name no probs .the bill will come to you so you can go down and pay it.

captain

Thanks for all the interesting info. I presume the sim card goes in the dongle? Did you find out if there's a time limit on usage? Is it like a mobile where you have to use it every 6 months or so?
Whereabouts did you buy it? I'll be in Ataturk airport International and Domestic on Friday so I'd be very interested in buying one.
Doug

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
This may be a dumb question but can you take a UK dongle over and then get a 'internet' SIM card over in Turkey (the same way you could take over an unlocked mobile handset - I understand you have to register it or it is useless after a certain time).
I am on my second dongle contract with 3 in the UK and it's fine for what I want. I was wondering if it's worth hanging onto the first dongle. Carol

scattea

Mike,

Ive bought a notebook just to use when i'm in Turkey.

I am not too sure how the wireless/dongle etc works so if you previously had free internet connection at the marina why would you buy a dongle yourself?
I guess you have been logging onto someone elses wireless connection for free but does a dongle work in the same way as a mobile phone with a sim in it. Once plugged in you can basically connect anytime unless the server has no coverage?
Thanks for any replies, I was looking at trying to gain free access from anyone near but I would rather pay for my own if I am able.

mikehibb

I have free wireless when in the marina coverage area, as that is where my boat is.
However I also have a Villa so this dongle is for my home use. Out of range of marina coverage obviously.
Did get an occassional free connection on a good day from a neighbour who gave me his password, But obviusly wanted my own reliable connection.
All you do is plug it in, click on the icon, enter pin number ( you get this on sim card, you can save it to computer or leave it as is for security if you want) pop ups promt you for this. It then finds a signal then you click on "connect".

Sim card fits in a liitle slot in the dongle.

The guy at the the vodafone plcae said it will work abroad, but better to buy a simcard in that country. So I would expect a vodafone dongle from UK would over here, but you might get charged more (or less dowload credits when roaming) just guessing do not intend to use it roaming, just for local use. He did say that you can just buy the simcard over here for people that already have a Vodafone dongle.

Set up was as per my original post, easy just follow the prompts, guy at vodafone walked me through it any way, could have done it myself no probs. I guess if you have problems then any available 10 yr old will be able to set it up. ( my nephew gets used for setting up anything computer based by his parents, grand parents and neighbours)

Ataturk airport, go through passport control at International terminal, exit through duty free/baggage reclaim, then exit into foyer. instead of turning left to Domestic terminal, turn right and go fifty yard or so, there is a vodafone stand there, can not miss it.

regarding time limit, I was told only a down load limit, however as I visit often I will not get to test a 6 months limit so can not confirm.
Best ask this question specifically if/when you prurchase the dongle.
However 30 TL is not bad just to top up the card with 1Gig after 6 months non use anyway, lot cheaper that having a "contract" based dongle that you hardly ever use.

Apparently vodafone have a deal with "TechnoSA" shops, will check out TechnoSA this week on the main road and report back.

I hope that I have addressed all outsanding questions so far, hopefully correctly, but only been using it for 4 days so far so sorry If I gave any duff info, Time will tell and will update as required.

captain

Mikehibb
This is a top post - thankyou. Loads of useful info here for me. I hope to get a PAYG dongle on Friday in Ataturk.
Doug

Koycegizlass

She who laughs last
Thanks Mikehibb. Excellent informaation. I travel to Koycegiz frequently and intend to spend most of the next 12 months there, so this info is very relevant and the Vodafone PAYG looks like the one or me. Was the issue about taking a UK Voda dongle and having it registered in Turkey as per mobiles addressed. You can buy them here for £29 with 1GB, and am assuming just remove the sim and use on return to the UK.

Gail

jcrian

Thanks Mikehibb. Excellent informaation. I travel to Koycegiz frequently and intend to spend most of the next 12 months there, so this info is very relevant and the Vodafone PAYG looks like the one or me. Was the issue about taking a UK Voda dongle and having it registered in Turkey as per mobiles addressed. You can buy them here for £29 with 1GB, and am assuming just remove the sim and use on return to the UK.

Gail

We have a house in Koycegiz and use the vodaphone pay as you go. No problems topping up the kontors at one of the local shops. If kontors haven't been added for three months your phone is locked for outgoing calls. By adding 30 kontors(approx 5tl) any that you already had on the phone are reinstated plus your 30 kontors.

Fortuantely we have a neighbour that allows us to connect wirelessly for the internet. Down by the lakeside at any of the bars you can connect free of charge and there are also electricity points to plug into for charging. All they ask in return is that you buy a drink but otherwise it is free.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom