• Desktop PC

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Both

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Desktop & Netbook

Votes: 17 21.0%

• Total voters
how do i transfer files
...help..im buying a new pc and in the past when things have gone wrong with my pc ive lost loads of stuff...so how can i stop this happening
in ABC please.
also i dont know whether to get a laptop or a desktop..i have a desk top..its ancient but suits me..i dont know if i could get used to anything else.
whats the pros and cons.
ive also seen some little notebook things ..would they be ok to use in bed

hijo

in my own clique
how do i transfer files
..get a memory stick and download all the stuff you want to keep then download it on your new computer....persoanally i would take a laptop before a desktop basicly a laptop takes up less space..also if you can travel about with a laptop ..and use wifi..:hearnoevi

Martyn

how do i transfer files
Buy an external usb hard drive, a lot come with backup software which will back up all the folders you want i.e. My Documents. Your data is backed up always then. As regards whether to get a laptop or not it's a no brainer. Historically laptops were always expensive to buy(in excess of £2000) now with the price of a decent one under £400 imo it's the way to go. You also don't suffer from spikes as much as you do with a desktop. Use them anywhere, when I babysit for the grandchildren I take it with me and connect to the wifi in my son's house.

tomc1984

how do i transfer files
Agree, laptop best and more versatil. What puts many off with a laptop is the mouse, but you will get used to it, you can also by a USB mouse (cordless best) which will work with your laptop just like a desktop version.

Martyn

how do i transfer files
Agree, laptop best and more versatil. What puts many off with a laptop is the mouse, but you will get used to it, you can also by a USB mouse (cordless best) which will work with your laptop just like a desktop version.

Yes I have a great bluetooth mouse with my Mac and the batteries last a long while.

how do i transfer files
Well
I am the opposite as I would prefer a desktop any day
You can work on them and add bits and remove bits, update memory and add drives etc.
A laptop takes up less space but are a nightmare if they go wrong as everything is crammed into a tiny space.I would have one of each but never just a laptop.
Our family have had three so far and they are very unpredictable, murder to work on, expensive to repair, slow as hell to load at times and prone to screen freezes for no apparent reason.
I have had many desktops and you can take the case cover off and see it all laid out.
You can add memory and different sound or video cards or drives at your leisure!!
Upgrading a laptop is like planning a major assault plan.
I know many mates who have returned to desktops after having chucked their laptop out the bedroom window and as you can guess,I am not a fan Lol!!
If I had relied on a laptop alone for my business in the past 5 years I would be bankrupt by now Lol!!

You visit most computer engineers and they work from desktops but just have a laptop too for visits and when on the road!!
That tells me everything !

Last edited:
how do i transfer files
oh..why is life so bloody difficult..id made my mind up..yeah..laptop..and then Tel comes alone ..so now im back to desktop...
Maybe a desktop and a cheap little notebook...what do you think....?

gerald

how do i transfer files
In addition to using external USB drives as a regular backup, for everyday use I also maintain some files using on line storage. There are lots of different ones about, usually you will get a few gig for free and have an option to pay for additional space.

The one I like best is called dropbox, this gives 2gig free storage, but as well as storing the file on line, if you have more than one computer it also synchronises the files between them.

You have to download a small application on each computer you want to use then it is all more or less automatic, if you need to use the file from a completely different computer then you can log on via the internet. The only disadvantage is if you are on limited or capped internet as it uses the internet to carry out the synchronisation, not a big issue for most people though. The links below connect to the site which has a little video that explains it better.

non referral link
For every friend you refer to Dropbox, we'll give you both 250 MB of bonus space
my referral link

If anybody signs up feel free to a piggyback your own referral link

Last edited:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
how do i transfer files
oh..why is life so bloody difficult..id made my mind up..yeah..laptop..and then Tel comes alone ..so now im back to desktop...
Maybe a desktop and a cheap little notebook...what do you think....?

Pineapple has treated herself to one of those net books, she may be able help you Shirley, she'll probably be on line later.

I am going to treat myself to a Laptop in the New Year, as I really miss not having the availability when I'm in Yalikavak, miss my e mails and of course TLF. The Sitesi where we are also has wireless internet connectivity, so I'll just leave it there, and have my Desktop like now, at home.

Last edited:

Martyn

how do i transfer files
If all you need to do is surf, pick up emails and maybe Office applications(or the excellent Openoffice) then a netbook is fine. Back to a having desktop, you need a desk(area) for it but a laptop can be where you want to be and not necessarily designating a space for it.

I've added a poll Shirley.

Last edited:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
how do i transfer files
Hiya Shirley . I now have a Desktop after 2yrs of owning a Laptop The desktop felt very strange to use at first as that blinking mouse seemed to have a mind of its own . Now its on a tiny table beside me . I'm used to it now But i also bought a good netbook I'm told its more like a laptop !!! But i can bring it with me to Turkey its 11 inch screen sometimes i can't see it properly . Especialy at night so i put the magnifier on .. The laptop was two clumsy for in the hand luggage and heavy too . . Sure you'll make the right choice . your to sensable not too ....Merry Christmas hope to see you in summer ...Diane xxxx

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
how do i transfer files
Hiya Shirley . I now have a Desktop after 2yrs of owning a Laptop The desktop felt very strange to use at first as that blinking mouse seemed to have a mind of its own . Now its on a tiny table beside me . I'm used to it now But i also bought a good netbook I'm told its more like a laptop !!! But i can bring it with me to Turkey its 11 inch screen sometimes i can't see it properly . Especialy at night so i put the magnifier on .. The laptop was two clumsy for in the hand luggage and heavy too . . Sure you'll make the right choice . your to sensable not too ....Merry Christmas hope to see you in summer ...Diane xxxx

I do remember you telling me that you were finding it hard to cope with 11" Diane!

Tess

how do i transfer files
Tut Tut Lesley LOL!!!!

I have a Mac at home. My eldest girl Melissa has a laptop and I must admit I loved going up into bed when she wasn't using it and going on the forum, bliss! Then she went to Uni and I was back to the Mac only, now my youngest girl Megan is 18 on 4th Jan and that is what she wanted (amongst other things) a laptop, so brilliant I will be able to take it upstairs with me and use it when she isn't - I love my Mac but also love the fact that you can go almost anywhere with the lappy.

Squeaky

how do i transfer files
Good evening:

I think one point that "Terry the Celt" missed was that a laptop can been bundled up and taken to the shop without hassle but a desktop involves a house call by the repairman therefore more expensive.

I have had both and would opt for the flexibility of location offered by a laptop. I have not had the need to make much in the way of modification to any laptop I have owned except possibly adding more memory when ADSL became available - this was not difficult nor expensive.

One point against the small notebooks now on offer is that the small keyboard is a pain to anyone touch typing. Also peering at the small screen becomes becomes annoying if used very much.

For what it's worth.

Cheers

Squeaky

how do i transfer files
what about the things that Terry said...ie..they go wrong.....and they are difficult to get fixed...you cant do as many things..and so on (what things Terry?) as you can with a desktop...
i liked the look of the link that gerald gave...dropbox.i could put all my stuff from here into a drop box so at least i wouldnt lose stuff ..it looks easy..and for me it has to be easy!!

Martyn

how do i transfer files
what about the things that Terry said...ie..they go wrong.....and they are difficult to get fixed...you cant do as many things..and so on (what things Terry?) as you can with a desktop...
i liked the look of the link that gerald gave...dropbox.i could put all my stuff from here into a drop box so at least i wouldnt lose stuff ..it looks easy..and for me it has to be easy!!

A desktop is easier to repair was his point, will you be repairing it Shirley? :smile: Adding memory or changing a hard drive is easy on a laptop. I think as with most things check there is room to expand. If you're getting a desktop or laptop a minimum these days of 2 gig ram and for the little extra make it 4 gig.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
how do i transfer files
shirley,

I changed from a desktop to laptop and much prefer, basically i only want it to surf the net , upload photos and do my husbands books. I keep the printer in the dining room and go there to print, but hope to upgrade to wireless printer .

Terry is right if you are doing loads of stuff , using many programmes a desktop is best but if your main use is mostly pleasure, go with the laptop.

how do i transfer files
Hi Shirley
I found it no problem to take my desktop case to the repair people in the same way as anyone would a laptop.
I just found them easier to upgrade or work on but its personal preference really.
I just HATE laptops on their own from personal experience and would always keep a desktop for my work.My wife has a laptop and its just a temperamental piece of s*** most of the time so we always return to our desktop.
I have never heard anyone say they were easy to upgrade and work on but Martyn,s knowledge is far greater than mine. From what I have heard ,when they go wrong ,its a funeral job so you can be constantly laying out for a new one.
I am happy sitting at a table with a generous monitor screen in front of me,decent music coming out of decent speakers,a cable internet connection rather than a WIFI and components that I can replace easily if they break down just via a couple of screws and a case removal.
In the past my business records and photo editing software have had to be switched to her laptop and boy,was I glad to get them back on the desktop
Ask any computer engineer which they would rather work on!!.
I would have a desktop and a notebook or laptop as a double act.
Honestly Shirley its purely personal experience and I bow to the majority hun.
Sorry to confuse you
Merry Xmas xx

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
how do i transfer files
Hi Shirley
I found it no problem to take my desktop case to the repair people in the same way as anyone would a laptop.
I just found them easier to upgrade or work on but its personal preference really.
I just HATE laptops on their own from personal experience and would always keep a desktop for my work.My wife has a laptop and its just a temperamental piece of s*** most of the time so we always return to our desktop.
I have never heard anyone say they were easy to upgrade and work on but Martyn,s knowledge is far greater than mine. From what I have heard ,when they go wrong ,its a funeral job so you can be constantly laying out for a new one.
I am happy sitting at a table with a generous monitor screen in front of me,decent music coming out of decent speakers,a cable internet connection rather than a WIFI and components that I can replace easily if they break down just via a couple of screws and a case removal.
In the past my business records and photo editing software have had to be switched to her laptop and boy,was I glad to get them back on the desktop
Ask any computer engineer which they would rather work on!!.
I would have a desktop and a notebook or laptop as a double act.
Honestly Shirley its purely personal experience and I bow to the majority hun.
Sorry to confuse you
Merry Xmas xx

Very well said Terry, I do love my desk top with all the speakers etc, I only want a Laptop for Turkey. By the way your winter photo album on Facebook is awesome. I posted a message on there tonight.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom