Howell's

Hot & Sour Soup
Hi all, my hubby wants to make chinese style hot & sour soup after we had an amazing meal at rosittas in didim, where the soup was out of this world. Has anyone got any good ideas to make this soup bearing in mind we live in turkey full time and some of the ingredients may have to be substituted for others. Any advice would be greatly received.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Hot & Sour Soup
Just tell him to Google "hot and sour soup recipe". He'll get several hundred hits.

waterbaby

Hot & Sour Soup
My hubby is the same, goes mad for Hot and sour soup everytime we go to the chineese, we live in turkey too so the ingredients wont be hard to find although i must admit iv not made it yet. just google it and you will find plenty of reciepes

Howell's

Hot & Sour Soup
have had a look at google ıt seems to have lots of ıngredıents we cant get ın Turkey (or ı cant understand the label as ın turkısh) so just wondered ıf anyone here has made ıt and what ıngredıents they used.
Someone here must have made ıt....

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Hot & Sour Soup
What ingredients are you struggling to get out there then ?

Hot & Sour Soup
Hi all, my hubby wants to make chinese style hot & sour soup after we had an amazing meal at rosittas in didim, where the soup was out of this world. Has anyone got any good ideas to make this soup bearing in mind we live in turkey full time and some of the ingredients may have to be substituted for others. Any advice would be greatly received.

Sounds like Tom Yam soup, at least, that's the Thai version. Can't get all the ingredients here, but I have managed something close to it.

What gives the soup its interesting flavour is the ginger, curry paste (you can find Thai curry paste at Bodrum / Ortakent metro, tho I dont know where you are), tamarind, coriander and kaffir (lime leaves). Coriander isn't something I see much of here, but can be found. Lime leaves, same.

What gives it its 'bite' is lemongrass - cannot be found in Turkey at all. You can make a substitute with 6-8 mint leaves, 2 tsp lime juice, 1/4 tsp granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp chopped fresh ginger. Squeeze the lime in a bowl and add sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Then add the chopped ginger. Then add the finely chopped mint leaves and it's done.

Forget the pork - get some shrimps from your fishmonger, or a mix of fish, shrimp and squid (all cleaned), toss in hot oil for 10 minutes. Add your curry and a cup of boiling water (just chuck it onto the fish) and boil it. When a bit's evaporated, turn down the heat for 20 minutes so the seafood really mixes into the soup. Strain it next, but save the stock.

Now put the stock on the stove and keep the seafood to one side (we don't want to overcook it). Add tamarind, turmeric, chili and lime leaves. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes. Add your seafood and cook another 5 minutes - we are waiting for those prawns to turn pink. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and stir to combine.

If you have fish sauce (really hard to find) add now, lime juice and some brown sugar. Give ait a couple of minutes then serve with the coriander leaves on top.

Of course, you could just ask next time you're at the restaurant ...

cheers

neil

Last edited:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Hot & Sour Soup
Good recipe Neil, just to add Coriander is always aplenty whenever we're over in Turkey, I always buy it as we love it in our salads.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Hot & Sour Soup
Good recipe Neil, just to add Coriander is always aplenty whenever we're over in Turkey, I always buy it as we love it in our salads.

I wouldn't mind betting that what you're buying is in fact Flat Leaf or Italian Parsley and NOT Coriander. They're both members of the Apiaceae family. :roundgrin

Coriander = Kişniş
Parsley = Maydanoz

Last edited:

Harem

I've cliqued
Hot & Sour Soup
Neil_Gumusluk - at certain times of the year we have an abundance of lemon grass growing here in Kaya - I know this because an old Turkish lady brings great sackfuls to us for making tea!!

Howell's

Hot & Sour Soup
Wow thanks Neıl... Wıll try to get all the ıngredıents when out shoppıng next.
I have asked the guy ın the restaurant for the recıpe but he wont gıve ıt to me (spoıl sport) ıts the consıstency of the soup that puzzled me.. ıts a bıt lıke egg whıte before ıts cooked.
Wıll try your recıpe and let you all know how ıt goes.

flowerpotman

No Clique just Creak
Hot & Sour Soup
Possibly MSG as this is a flavour enhancer and the gluten thickens but doesnt colour a bit like wallpaper paste.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Hot & Sour Soup
MSG = Monosodium Glutamate

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate]Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Howell's

He's possibly using cornflour or cornstarch to thicken it.

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Hot & Sour Soup
A chef friend told me arrowroot & cornflour are the same but arrowroot will not affect the colour of your food (unlike cornflour if you put it in a gravy or stew).
Carol x
PS Neil's soup sounds amazing - making my mouth water and only had me tea 2 hrs ago - jalfrezi (but it was a microwave one from Sainsburys..however I made Aloo Saag for the first time to go with it, but the spices were in a Schawtz mix).
Sorry for changing topic/continent!

ChrisBobs

Hot & Sour Soup
Some people have pots of Lemongrass growing successfully in Bodrum..( it aint what you know but who...!)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom