Votes: 56 56.6%
  • No need for Hospital Insurance

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chichi

Hospital for foreigners
Hello,

my question: Is it expensive to go to a hospital (doens't have to be a provate one) as a foreigner?

I have been to a public hospital once before and it was rather cheap, but that was because we made a friend there (everybody knows how it works here in Turkey :smile:). Of course I do not want to take to much advantage of that.

Or is it better to get health insurance?

We were lucky enough that no one of my family had to go to the hospital many times, but it is better to be prepaired.

altinkum kev

Non Active Member
Hospital for foreigners
From personal experiences i find hospitals here to be very cheap with no waiting about for weeks or months ,i would never buy health insurance in this country far to expensive. some times i hear that it can be cheaper for treatment if you have a residence permit may be true.

Saoirse

Hospital for foreigners
on the opposite side of the coin I know of a woman whos son was in a road accident.cost for medical care for him was £7500

Personally for anyone in Turkey full time I think its madness not to have medical cover

Andy

Hospital for foreigners
Iv'e included a poll with this Thread.

How much is Annual Hospital Insurance, does it go by age ?

Last edited:

Chichi

Hospital for foreigners
Thank you for all of your replies.

I have noticed insurance rules can be very different here in Turkey, so I guess they will have strange rules for health insurance as well :smile:

Saoirse

Hospital for foreigners
Chichi

Its also worthwhile remembering things like ambulance service are totally different in Turkey

Any good private insurance will include this service

alison09400

Hospital for foreigners
It tends to be the private hospitals who issue you with the big bills for medical treatment....whereas the state hospitals are very reasonably priced. 15.50tl to see the Dr. A friend was recently given an ultrasound scan and paid 22tl..4tl for a urine test. We've got a great A&E dept at the state hospital here and there's very rarely a wait to be seen by someone.

roz

roz
Hospital for foreigners
My husband got first class care in our local hospital and Aydin cant fault the care he got

Roz

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Hospital for foreigners
If you are in a car accident (say) and an ambulance comes, is it always from a private hospital? What I am asking is, if you are knocked out cold and cannot stipulate, then do you automatically end up in a private place charging the earth.

Saoirse

Hospital for foreigners
state hospitals vary widely in their care and facilities

In the main one in Fethiye there was no lifts. It was a common sight to see elderly people being carried around piggy back style in order to get them to treatment

alison09400

Hospital for foreigners
If you are in a car accident (say) and an ambulance comes, is it always from a private hospital? What I am asking is, if you are knocked out cold and cannot stipulate, then do you automatically end up in a private place charging the earth.

Bibby, in that situation a witness will no doubt just dial 112 and call for an ambulance, so it will be from the state hospital.

Chichi

Hospital for foreigners
I must say that the times that I had to go to the state hospital here,
I was very happy with how they work.

I think that in the private hospitals the prices vary from hospital to hospital.
I heard stories of them being very expensive (this I heard mostly from tourists),
but from locals I hear that their prices are not that bad.

Hospital for foreigners
:eyeye::30:As a lot of you know I broke my hip in April last year.First I was taken to the local hospital in Didim.The following day I was transferred to the BSK Hestanasi in Aydin.The service I recieved there was second to none.Private room and spoilt rotten all the time.There was some concern wether I would actually survive the op because of several other things that are wrong with me.Namely COPD,Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm,Emphysema and so on.Thursday came and the big op happened.The service I recieved from the Cardiologist,Orthpeadic Surgeon and the Anaesthatist was brilliant.The nusing staff could not do enough for me.For all this pampering and an eleven day stay in BSK I was charged 7000TL.I think that was a very fair cost.Also bear in mind that I am in my 70s.Still tend to walk with a stick but hey that comes with being older than most people around.I had better mention that all this was arranged through WIT by Kym Ciftci aka Miss Who_Otherwise she will have my guts for garters.

Sara-666

Hospital for foreigners
I think if you live here in Turkey full time then you should have insurance. We have a family policy for 2 adults and 2 children for hospital treatment only, doesn't cover trips to the Doctors etc, but we can use the local saglikhoca (? sorry about spelling) for free or pay 30tl and see the local private Doctor. It's worth the 1900tl per year for peace of mind as both of my children are young and young children do tend to have accidents! My youngest fell over and ripped his ear in half about a year ago, we rushed him to the Universal in Bodrum, the insurance broker even met us there to make sure everything went smoothly. They did a brilliant job and the cost was not a worry as we knew the insurance would cover it. Got to be worth it for peace of mind.

Sara

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Hospital for foreigners
In the main one in Fethiye there was no lifts. It was a common sight to see elderly people being carried around piggy back style in order to get them to treatment

I guess you were referring to the old state hospital. The Devlet hospital on the road to Calis has 3 or 4 lifts.

Bibby, Control of all Emergency Ambulances in the Fethiye area is handled by 112 and they dispatch the nearest available vehicle , whether state or private, to the incident.

Last edited:

dalyansteve

Hospital for foreigners
I have said this before, private health insurance for hospital admitance is essential and the younger and fitter you can start, the better. We all think there is not much wrong with us but a major operation, heart things in particular, will cost a fortune. Normal everyday stuff most of us can manage either with the help of the chemist or a local doctor but anything that involves a long hospital stay or expensive treatment you will need insurance for. I did not expect to slip and damage my spine, but I did and without the operation I would now be in a wheelchair, the cost 12,000 lira. A friend of mine who is Turkish Cypriot had a major heart attack, several operations later and bucket loads of expensive drugs his bill was 45,000 lira and he had no insurance. he was 41 years old at the time. So yes it can happen. Get insurance.

perfect1949

i just love my clique
Hospital for foreigners
has i have said before on other thread,s ,over here, its all about peace of mind . but i think a lot of people not just english , come over here and dont think they should pay for anything sorry it dose,nt work that way

hijo

in my own clique
Hospital for foreigners
..i have heard many good reports on the goverment hospitals in turkey(many of my friends and family have used them)with a very small cost..their hygiene is second to none ..and many bad reports on private hospitals ..so i think i will take my chances ..ok someone made a fair comment on a traffic accident ..i also have known this happen to someone a few years ago ..and were in a coma ..they had to pay £9,000..personally i could not afford to go private in turkey i checked it out a few years ago ..if i have a serious problem and can still get to a boat or a plane i would go to europe somewere and use my uk health goverment card..from here i would get a boat to samos....

missmo

missmo
Hospital for foreigners
We tried to get insurance last week the age has dropped to 55 so neither of us could apply - just thought id mention that. I do believe in having peace of mind but we dont have any choice only to get accident insurance now

Latest Posts

Top Bottom