Ian2006

Hose Mender Reducer
We have a big 30mm diameter hose on one side of our site that throws out good volumes of free water but on the other side of the site we have a 20mm hose / connection to the same free water. So our resident who waters the site every day (and we can all see the benefits) wants to put a hose mender adaptor from 20mm (out of the metal stand pipe) into a length of about 1 metre x 20mm hose then with the adaptor take it to 30mm hose in order to get more volume of water out.

I have managed to find an adaptor (20mm to 30mm) eventually on eBay so I am having it brought out but just wondered if anyone had ever done this?

I can visualise going from 30mm to 20mm would give an increase in power but I am not sure what will happen using the adaptor to increase the pipe size?
He does not want power/length - just greater volume so he doesn't need to stand in the same spot for as long.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Hose Mender Reducer
The fact their will still be a 20 mm connection in the supply will be the limiting factor, it will give the same volume, but appear weaker as it comes out of the 30 mm pipe

Martin

Ian2006

Hose Mender Reducer
Thanks Martin - I did say I thought he would end up looking like a man with a prostate problem :). But he was sure it would force more through as he thought the electric pump (the same for both the 30mm front hose and the 20mm rear hose was being limited by the smaller diameter pipe.

I suspect we will only know when we try it but I also wondered if there was an advantage in putting the adaptor in closer to (1m) or further away (10m) from the existing 20mm stand pipe?

RedBloodedHound

PostPositive
Hose Mender Reducer
Thanks Martin - I did say I thought he would end up looking like a man with a prostate problem :). But he was sure it would force more through as he thought the electric pump (the same for both the 30mm front hose and the 20mm rear hose was being limited by the smaller diameter pipe.

I suspect we will only know when we try it but I also wondered if there was an advantage in putting the adaptor in closer to (1m) or further away (10m) from the existing 20mm stand pipe?

As Martin writes. Also it matters not where you place the larger diameter hose; you still will receive the same amount of water. Just at a lower speed if you fit a larger final outlet.

The only way to get a larger amount of water out of your 20mm standpipe is to increase the delivery pressure.

If both of your standpipes are supplied by the same pump,; both will supply the same volume but at different velocities.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom