Saoirse

Hong Kong UK citizenship offer.
Just so we are clear I assume all parties to this thread recognize my Pearl Harbor reference as a joke
I have used the same gag on here before re varying nationalities

I hope we do not have a whoosh moment where my sarcastic pithy jibe has went right over certain heads

Chasey

Now that was definitely the Japanese, Chinese atrocities was during the Boxer wars/Revolution.

The Boxer Wars of course being when the Chinese tried to get all the foreigners out of China?

OHHHH the irony :)

Chasey

People talk of Humanitarianism, but forget of the ATROCITIES inflicted on British Prisoners of War.
Yes as with all races there are good and bad. but how do you differentiate from one Chinese person to another?

What atrocities are you referring to? Your aware China was on our side in WW2?

Chasey

Our? we are a complex melange here on TLF
OK fair point but "Our" as in most of us fought together. Turkey fought with the Allied forces against Germany and Japan. I got the impression that Oldfoggie was of UK origin?

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
OK fair point but "Our" as in most of us fought together. Turkey fought with the Allied forces against Germany and Japan. I got the impression that Oldfoggie was of UK origin?

I don't think Turkey was directly involved in WW2.

Chasey

I don't think Turkey was directly involved in WW2.
(Extract below)

Turkey remained neutral until the final stages of World War II and tried to maintain an equal distance between both the Axis and the Allies until February 1945, when Turkey entered the war on the side of the Allies against Germany and Japan.

Kanga

In 1972 under a Tory , Heath , 80,000 Ugandan asians entered the UK on empire passport rights , i do not blame Heath , it was an historic anomaly , so do not blame labour , it was encouraged by both parties , to help a demographic blackhole caused by so many young men dying during the war , we had no one to work , that is all . Windrush immigration ensured that London Transport could run and hospitals coule operate , withut immigration we were dead in the water .
Steve
Errrmmm. The Ugandan Asians were thrown out of Uganda by the racist megalomaniac Idi Amin after he seized power from Obote in a coup in 1971. Obote had planned to arrest him for stealing army funds. He was only removed in 79 by the Tanzanian army after after plotting to invade Tanzania and died in exile in S Arabia. He ran a murderous regime, pillaged and looted the country, and humiliated the Labour PM Jim Callaghan. He took several British people hostage and threatened death sentences. Lots more here for those who are interested. Uganda Leader Says He Will Grant a Pardon to Briton (Published 1975)

HK Chinese are in very similar circumstances. Amin also got rid of all other foreigners including British who owned or ran tea/coffee plantations. I knew one of them, he lost everything except the shirt on his back. There was no compensation and they came to the UK practically penniless.

I think we'd have sorted a labour shortage out before 1972 as WW2 ended in 1945. . . . hence Windrush which arrived June 1948.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Many Ugandan Asians have gone onto major economic success and have created thousands of jobs for British people.

Mushroom

I am sure that the Chinese are well capable of enterprise, but it will be more than 80,000, possibly 10 times that amount or even more if things are kicking off with the Chinese government.
Unless they all arrive with substantial cash to put in our banks, to buy their own property on day one, pay for their kids to go to private schools, take up immediate jobs and all have private health care, then we are somewhere along the line going to have to provide them with the basics of social housing, health care and education at a time when we aren't able to provide those services to our own UK citizens.
I am sure the Chinese/English population will assist but even they have their limits.
And, in case anyone has forgotten, we also have our own unemployed with rising rates, plus of course we as a country are skint.

Jaycey

African Refugee
I am sure that the Chinese are well capable of enterprise, but it will be more than 80,000, possibly 10 times that amount or even more if things are kicking off with the Chinese government.
Unless they all arrive with substantial cash to put in our banks, to buy their own property on day one, pay for their kids to go to private schools, take up immediate jobs and all have private health care, then we are somewhere along the line going to have to provide them with the basics of social housing, health care and education at a time when we aren't able to provide those services to our own UK citizens.
I am sure the Chinese/English population will assist but even they have their limits.
And, in case anyone has forgotten, we also have our own unemployed with rising rates, plus of course we as a country are skint.
You've outlined what you deem to be the problem - would you refuse them entry & send them back to a repressive regime?

I can just image your indignation when 45 Mil Ukrainian refugees arrive on your doorstep. :)

Kanga

@Mushroom: . . . .yes, but we also have freedom and enterprise, opportunities for education and business development. Many of our own w/don't bother.

Mushroom

NO, we have any obligation to assist them and that is firm.
What isn't is how to provide the fundamental services when we are struggling as it is.
As for Ukraine refugees, send them to Scotland !!

Chasey

As Hong Kong comprises mainly of high rise flats, do the residents own or rent them?
If they own them, can they actually sell them?
If they are Professional people but with no assets to unload before coming to the UK to convert into cash to make purchases of property, they will still need somewhere to live.
They may well be assisted by the UK Chinese community but it still doesn't answer the question of where they are going to reside in the UK and who might provide it.

Yes most are owned

Yes they can sell them

Average price for a flat in Hongkong is $HK 150,000m2 which is about £14,000 m2

So a typical 70m2 apartment is around one million pounds

Yes the type of Chinese likely to make it to the UK will be financially comfortable. (this is the mai reasion for getting out of Hongkong before the CCP take over)

Our friend who's just sold in Hongkong and got to the UK via Canada managed to sell her three bed apartment in Hongkong for 2.8million pounds has baught a cheep 1.6 million pound house in Clapham (London) and cant believe how cheep things are in the UK :)

mollag

Kipper restorer
Errrmmm. The Ugandan Asians were thrown out of Uganda by the racist megalomaniac Idi Amin after he seized power from Obote in a coup in 1971. Obote had planned to arrest him for stealing army funds. He was only removed in 79 by the Tanzanian army after after plotting to invade Tanzania and died in exile in S Arabia. He ran a murderous regime, pillaged and looted the country, and humiliated the Labour PM Jim Callaghan. He took several British people hostage and threatened death sentences. Lots more here for those who are interested. Uganda Leader Says He Will Grant a Pardon to Briton (Published 1975)

HK Chinese are in very similar circumstances. Amin also got rid of all other foreigners including British who owned or ran tea/coffee plantations. I knew one of them, he lost everything except the shirt on his back. There was no compensation and they came to the UK practically penniless.

I think we'd have sorted a labour shortage out before 1972 as WW2 ended in 1945. . . . hence Windrush which arrived June 1948.
And the UK recognised Amin as leader ever so quickly, within minutes I remember

uller

Aaand the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed seems to be the biggest landowner in England, next to the Queen. I remember swathes of Hong Kongers leaving for Britain when the UK lease on HK ran out. How have they done? I know they transformed Vancouver, Canada.

Jaycey

African Refugee
His popularity in the UK didn't last long forgetting that he had both a VC and an OBE AND was the last King of Scotland ;)
BTW I was in a cafe in Jeddah with a friend in the early '80s and remarked that the sad looking guy in the corner looked like Idi Amin - turned out he was!

Mushroom

Yes most are owned

Yes they can sell them

Average price for a flat in Hongkong is $HK 150,000m2 which is about £14,000 m2

So a typical 70m2 apartment is around one million pounds

Yes the type of Chinese likely to make it to the UK will be financially comfortable. (this is the mai reasion for getting out of Hongkong before the CCP take over)

Our friend who's just sold in Hongkong and got to the UK via Canada managed to sell her three bed apartment in Hongkong for 2.8million pounds has baught a cheep 1.6 million pound house in Clapham (London) and cant believe how cheep things are in the UK :)
That's great. They will ALL be self sufficient then?
I still don't understand how in a volatile location with the impending threat from China, who wants to buy a property in Hong Kong?

Chasey

That's great. They will ALL be self sufficient then?
I still don't understand how in a volatile location with the impending threat from China, who wants to buy a property in Hong Kong?

Rather like property prices post Brexit in the UK, the prices have started loosing value due to the impact of the CCP

But property is in very short supply in the region so prices are still very high. For mainland Chinese, Hongkong still offers the promise of improvement and China has more millionairs than any other country on the planet

The point being that it would be massivly difficult for someone with no money to to leave China. China isnt like the UK you cant just apply for a passport and simply get one. The land routs out of China are again massivly difficult even paying the snake heads to smuggle you out is expensive.

So in short, if hundreds of thousands do manage to get out, its very likely they will be upper middle class

Latest Posts

Top Bottom