Akasya

Postless Pointer
Hong Kong UK citizenship offer.
Empire citizenship was permitted ait was annd was obviously limited to those who were part of The Empire.
The Open door policy of Labour under Bliar was an experiment which allowed anybody and their dog to come to the UK with absolutely no allegiance past or present.
We are now reaping what phoney Tony was sowing.
We don't just get the so called asylum seekers who have failed to adhere to the request to register for asylum in the first 'safe' country they arrive in, they keep coming this way to the land of benefits.
If we have no room and no infrastructure capable of dealing properly with the arrivals from Hong Kong, it is because we have already been swamped with economic migrants who take all they can.
In 1972 under a Tory , Heath , 80,000 Ugandan asians entered the UK on empire passport rights , i do not blame Heath , it was an historic anomaly , so do not blame labour , it was encouraged by both parties , to help a demographic blackhole caused by so many young men dying during the war , we had no one to work , that is all . Windrush immigration ensured that London Transport could run and hospitals coule operate , withut immigration we were dead in the water .
Steve

Mushroom

I think you are failing to separate Immigrants, the one's we need, from economic migrants, the scroungers who we don't need.
The name economic is a bit unfair because they aren't coming here to help our economy, just to claim benefits.
There was never a problem with Ugandan Asians, we had an obligation, or windrush, again part of the Empire that was and invited to the UK, not press ganged and now Hongkongers, of which again we have an obligation.
We have no obligation to anyone else other than genuine asylum seekers, but we have hotels full of scroungers with no actual right to be here because the UK was seen as open to all. And still is.

Jaycey

African Refugee
I’m not sure that they should be classed as immigrants. If they have/had British passports/nationality then they have every right to enter the UK.

And surely unemployed nationals are entitled to benefits. In Hong Kong they receive social benefits so seems a long way for them to come just to get the same in UK.

“The Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) scheme is a welfare programme in Hong Kong that provides supplementary payments to Hong Kong residents whose income is not sufficient to meet basic needs.”

And don’t assume that they will all be poor, it is mainly the middle/upper classes that can afford to travel to the UK and among them will be the care workers, doctors, nurses etc that you need.

Win win !

oldfogy

Just passing through
We (UK) have a moral obligation to HK, but the whole world should have a moral obligation to the Uyghurs. You can bet they wont though, because they will be kowtowing to China.
People talk of Humanitarianism, but forget of the ATROCITIES inflicted on British Prisoners of War.
Yes as with all races there are good and bad. but how do you differentiate from one Chinese person to another?

Mushroom

As Hong Kong comprises mainly of high rise flats, do the residents own or rent them?
If they own them, can they actually sell them?
If they are Professional people but with no assets to unload before coming to the UK to convert into cash to make purchases of property, they will still need somewhere to live.
They may well be assisted by the UK Chinese community but it still doesn't answer the question of where they are going to reside in the UK and who might provide it.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
People talk of Humanitarianism, but forget of the ATROCITIES inflicted on British Prisoners of War.
Yes as with all races there are good and bad. but how do you differentiate from one Chinese person to another?
Not to mention the atrocities committed by the British army in the past.

Saoirse

Now that you have mentioned WW2 personally I wouldn't let them in
I have never forgiven them for Pearl Harbor

Last edited:

Jaycey

African Refugee
As Hong Kong comprises mainly of high rise flats, do the residents own or rent them?
If they own them, can they actually sell them?
HK is pretty much all high rise apartments both owned and rented. As to selling its obviously a buyers market.
If they are Professional people but with no assets to unload before coming to the UK to convert into cash to make purchases of property, they will still need somewhere to live.
Surely your question has been both asked and answered before: Middle & upper class Hongkongers will purchase accommodation and share with relatives & friends until their situation improves.

And if housing is in such short supply then, as previously said, the Brexit cost could have been better spent on infrastructure, housing etc.

They may well be assisted by the UK Chinese community but it still doesn't answer the question of where they are going to reside in the UK and who might provide it.
Surely your question has been both asked and answered before: Middle & upper class Hongkongers will purchase accommodation and share with relatives & friends until their situation improves.

And if housing is in such short supply then, as previously said, the Brexit cost could have been better spent on infrastructure, housing etc.

Now that you have mentioned WW2 personally I wouldn't let them in
I have never forgiven them for Pearl Harbor
roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

Last edited:

Kanga

Get it right please.

China fought Japan with aid from the Soviet Union and the United States. After the Japanese attacks on Malaya and Pearl Harbor in 1941, the war merged with other conflicts which are generally categorized under those conflicts of World War II as a major sector known as the China Burma India Theater.

---------------------------------

China's resistance to Japan is one of the great untold stories of World War II. Though China was the first Allied power to fight the Axis, it has received far less credit for its role in the Pacific theater than the United States, Britain or even the Soviet Union, which only joined the war in Asia in August 1945.17 Oct 2013

--------------------------------

From google search.

Mushroom

A buyer's market in Hong Kong ? Who exactly is likely to be buying in Hong Kong currently?
Can't blame Brexit for everything. If there is a shortage of housing for those who arrive in the UK it's because they have already been taken by the 'uninvited' and our own people. If there is a shortage of social housing it is because in our current housing boom, the developers are too busy selling tiny houses for big money to people who think they can afford them.

mollag

Kipper restorer
Perhaps we could persuade the Chinese to revert to the UK's government system for Hong Kong. ie no elections--ever :unsure:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Get it right please.

China fought Japan with aid from the Soviet Union and the United States...

--------------------------------

From google search.
I thought we were talking about atrocities inflicted on British Prisoners of War? :unsure:

Jaycey

African Refugee
A buyer's market in Hong Kong ? Who exactly is likely to be buying in Hong Kong currently?
Exactly, if prices are down and few buyers around then it’s a buyer’s market.
Pretty much the same situation in Turkey but some people are still buying.
Can't blame Brexit for everything. If there is a shortage of housing for those who arrive in the UK it's because they have already been taken by the 'uninvited' and our own people.
And I don’t blame Brexit, I blame your own government – there should have been checks on income etc. In that Turkey has got it right.
If there is a shortage of social housing it is because in our current housing boom, the developers are too busy selling tiny houses for big money to people who think they can afford them.
You say “if” there is a housing shortage but you’ve already said that there is one. I’m not going down that rabbit hole.

BTW had you avoided that Brexit bill what would you have spent £130 Bn on?

Mushroom

It is social housing, i.e Council houses, that are full to bursting. They are the one's our uninvited guests fill up and leave no vacancies for anyone else. Private housing is booming. Not everyone will be able to buy a private house.
How do you make checks on income from our uninvited guests arriving in dinghies?
You are going to have to stop making comparisons to Turkey with Hong Kong.
Where are buyers for properties in Hong Kong?
If we have to pay a Brexit bill, then so be it. We obviously have money to waste. Look at HS2

Jaycey

African Refugee
It is social housing, i.e Council houses, that are full to bursting.
Seems then that they are the ones that are in short supply - £130 Bn would have sorted that! behindsofa.gif
They are the one's our uninvited guests fill up and leave no vacancies for anyone else. Private housing is booming. Not everyone will be able to buy a private house.
Not everyone but some may well buy. These are not illiterate povert stricken peasants.
How do you make checks on income from our uninvited guests arriving in dinghies?
What % arrive by dinghy & what % overstay their visas?
You are going to have to stop making comparisons to Turkey with Hong Kong.
Why? The comparison is apt and there are lessons to be learnt.
Where are buyers for properties in Hong Kong?
Asked twice already – answered twice already and third will likely fare no better.

If we have to pay a Brexit bill, then so be it. We obviously have money to waste. Look at HS2
Should be spent on social infrastructure rather than prestige/vote catching projects.

This scenario reminds me of a time back in the 50s when a shipload of Russian Jewish refugees arrived in Sydney harbour.

They were refused entry until it was realised that they had considerable financial assets!

Mushroom

Seems then that they are the ones that are in short supply - £130 Bn would have sorted that! View attachment 21728

Not everyone but some may well buy. These are not illiterate povert stricken peasants.

What % arrive by dinghy & what % overstay their visas?

Why? The comparison is apt and there are lessons to be learnt.

Asked twice already – answered twice already and third will likely fare no better.

Should be spent on social infrastructure rather than prestige/vote catching projects.

This scenario reminds me of a time back in the 50s when a shipload of Russian Jewish refugees arrived in Sydney harbour.

They were refused entry until it was realised that they had considerable financial assets!
You seem to be missing the point and I'm not wasting time that I'll never get back if you believe that Hong Kong is comparable to Turkey.
Back to the football.

Jaycey

African Refugee
You seem to be missing the point and I'm not wasting time that I'll never get back if you believe that Hong Kong is comparable to Turkey.
Back to the football.
Seems it is yourself that is missing the point - I’m comparing the efficiency of Turkish immigration legislation with the apparent lack thereof in UK hence your many illegals.

Meanwhile perhaps you would care to answer a few of my questions before the football, but maybe not.

Mushroom

Seems it is yourself that is missing the point - I’m comparing the efficiency of Turkish immigration legislation with the apparent lack thereof in UK hence your many illegals.

Meanwhile perhaps you would care to answer a few of my questions before the football, but maybe not.
Sorry, but watching the mighty Leeds then Liverpool and winning my footie bets before watching the Grand National to gain further winning bets are far more important than responding to you. My accumulator is also coming in now that Chelsea are currently 3-0 up !!!😁
If you wind back to my original question, I was asking how we would accommodate those who would arrive in the UK from Hong Kong in respects of housing, social services and health.
You have managed to introduce Turkey into that question and then Brexit.
From there you appear to have gone on your own agenda.
I have no interest as to how Turkey manages immigration or how the Brexit bill comes into the Hong Kong equation, because it doesn't.
In fact, it's only because we are about to celebrate our good fortune today that I'm responding to you now because my response after a few glasses of fizz might not be as cordial.
I wish you a good evening because it's going to be a good one here !!

Jaycey

African Refugee
It was yourself that introduced Brexit but so many questions, so few answers only unpleasantness.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom