Camden

Hong Kong UK citizenship offer.
The UK could offer British National (Overseas) passport holders in Hong Kong a path to UK citizenship

If China does not suspend plans for a security law in the territory, UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab says.

There are 300,000 BNO passport holders in Hong Kong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52842303

Would please the UKIP wing of the Brexiteers....not

Last edited:

Saoirse

The Chinese havent a leg to stand on

They rule HK like a colony - they dont put themselves before the electorate there yet impose their "legal" authority over the region.

They have no electoral mandate there whatsoever

Meanwhile in Belfast.......

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
There is a certain irony with the mask issue in the Hong Kong protests. Last autumn you could be arrested for wearing a mask on the streets of Hong Kong. Nowadays it is mandatory.

Chasey

We have someone living with us whose family are in the CCP. When I discussed this issue with him and suggested possible sanctions against China he literally laughed and said China doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks and will do what it likes.

That's about the truth of it I feel

The USA are about the only country with the power and political will to stand up to China but China holds 1.17 Trillion of US debt in bonds.

As a Chines politician once famously said when asked about the threat of China invading the west?

"why would we go to war with the west? we would simply repossess you"

Saoirse

Love pick your brains on this as I find China fascinating

I have read that although there is only the CCP from within each region and especially taking into account rural versus urban needs- the CCP candidates whilst aligning overall with the party line on major issues ( national security etc) - are actually as varied in their policies and ideas as many seen between differing parties in the West?

For example USA it’s tweedle Dee and tweedle dum party policy differences, UK Tories v New Labour no difference, even old Oireland not a cigarette paper between policies of 2 parties who have run the state almost since its formation

So whilst the Chinese system is one party the differences in local regions can oft amount to as much choice as in the West

What’s your take Chasey?

Kanga

I would welcome the HK people, and any others, who want to live in a democracy and can offer their skills and intelligence to our economy.
China may laugh and carry on but they will still feel the discomfort of being a world pariah.
I for one am looking very hard at anything I buy online or instore now and am avoiding Chinese goods as far as possible.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
I wonder how the promised trade talks are going with China in readiness for our storming new markets.

Martin

Hilsjw

Me too Kanga, although it's difficult as SO much stuff if made in China !

Chasey

Love pick your brains on this as I find China fascinating

I have read that although there is only the CCP from within each region and especially taking into account rural versus urban needs- the CCP candidates whilst aligning overall with the party line on major issues ( national security etc) - are actually as varied in their policies and ideas as many seen between differing parties in the West?

For example USA it’s tweedle Dee and tweedle dum party policy differences, UK Tories v New Labour no difference, even old Oireland not a cigarette paper between policies of 2 parties who have run the state almost since its formation

So whilst the Chinese system is one party the differences in local regions can oft amount to as much choice as in the West

What’s your take Chasey?

Your right, some regions are only slightly corrupt where as others are totally corrupt :)

Sorry what choice are you referring to? the people do not have a vote in china for or against the CCP?

The "people" can elect the NCP which is a largely symbolic gesture with no real impact on the CCP

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
So they come over here, steal our jobs, put a huge burden on our public services, dilute our culture, overwhelm our housing stock, but hang on, they may vote Tory so welcome onboard.

Just a thought, given the reasoning behind this, maybe consideration should be given to those in the US currently having their "traditional freedoms of the press, of speech and of protest, among others." taken away.

https://news.sky.com/story/hong-kon...e-in-the-uk-if-china-imposes-new-law-11999525

Martin

Last edited:

Bramidan

If we can welcome people from Hong Kong because they are being oppressed how about the other people who are similarly oppressed who are trying to gain access from other parts of the world?

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Hong Kong was a UK territory until we signed it over 1n 1997, that is the essential difference.

oldfogy

Just passing through
I would welcome the HK people, and any others, who want to live in a democracy and can offer their skills and intelligence to our economy.
China may laugh and carry on but they will still feel the discomfort of being a world pariah.
I for one am looking very hard at anything I buy online or instore now and am avoiding Chinese goods as far as possible.
Same here but recently ordered 4 items from AliExpress in china as they are the only places to order from that will deliver the items to Turkey even though I will have to pay a import tax.

Kanga

If we can welcome people from Hong Kong because they are being oppressed how about the other people who are similarly oppressed who are trying to gain access from other parts of the world?

As already said, it was a British territory BUT we also gave them special passports which allow 6 months long visits to UK.
The new passports would allow up to 12 months giving the right to work and /or study, which would them clear the way for them to apply to stay permanently and become full British citizens.
We did the same thing when Idi Amin threw the Ugandan Asians out of Uganda, and they have all assimilated into UK life very well because they wanted to be successful.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom