bobthenob

Non Active Member
Homemade Real Gravy
l find it almost impossible looking for the gravy l want here in Turkey.l know they do sell the bisto gravy granules what you get back in England,but it is so exspensive.
So l had a look around the website and came up with this one to make.Make as much as you like and freeze for those special day's with family.
mmmmm..nothing like the real homemade cooking smells of cooking.
lf there are any leads you can give me to where l can find an alternative gravy to bisto[but must be thick and wholesome]would be great:couch2:

l am having trouble with the video.So l copied the recipe from this website...which l forgot what website it was from.

You Will Need

Juices from roast meat
500 ml stock
½ glass of wine
2 springs of Rosemary
1 tbsp Flour
1 tsp butter
salt and pepper
Step 1: Drain the fat
Spoon of the fat from the top of the meat juices
Step 2: The stock
Make 500 ml of stock by dissolving 2 stock cubes in 500 ml of boiling water. Place the roasting tray containing the meat juices over a low heat. Stir in the stock a bit at a time, deglazing the pan as you go
Step 3: Rosemary and wine
Pour in a half glass of white wine and add 2 sprigs of rosemary. Continue to stir keeping the heat on a high. Remove the rosemary sprigs with a slotted spoon after 2 minutes
Step 4: Thicken
Sieve 1 tbsp of flour into the pan, and add about a teaspoon of butter. Whisk in well to thoroughly mix the flour with the stock. Leave for a couple of minutes to allow the gravy to thicken.

Serve as part of a traditional roast dinner.

Last edited:

Manda

Homemade Real Gravy
I have been using Knorr Demi Glaze Et Sosu. It's what the restaurants use for gravy. I paid about 25 lira for a huge box which lasts me all winter for my roast dinners etc. It's really thick & yummy & my boyfriend much prefers it to Bisto as it's much more tasty. You just add water to the powder & heat it in a saucepan. All the cash & carry places & some Turkish shops sell it. The box is bright red.

ted j

Homemade Real Gravy
Hi Bob, Your video in the link doesn't seem to work. Why not make your own? . Kath uses the stock from a joint of beef that has been roasting in the oven,or chops, or sausages and puts it in a saucepan,(3 tablespoons), Adds 4 crushed oxos,and about 3 heaped forkfulls of flour(doesn't matter which type, plain or self raising) then, medium heat, adding about 2 cupfulls of water. Keep stirring, if it starts to go too thick, add a little more water(to make more, to freeze,just double the quantities) It's Delish Ted. ps Keep stirring otherwise it'll go lumpy

Homemade Real Gravy
What about Comptons Gravy Salt you can buy it online and it says they deliver worldwide, not sure if this includes Turkey. Mix with meat stock and a little plain flour then gradually add boiling water to stop it going lumpy bumpy. Just checked and they also sell Bisto. It can't cost that much to post a tub of Bisto surely

Homemade Real Gravy
I have been using Knorr Demi Glaze Et Sosu. It's what the restaurants use for gravy. I paid about 25 lira for a huge box which lasts me all winter for my roast dinners etc. It's really thick & yummy & my boyfriend much prefers it to Bisto as it's much more tasty. You just add water to the powder & heat it in a saucepan. All the cash & carry places & some Turkish shops sell it. The box is bright red.

Will look out for that, do you know if Migros sell it?

Sue

Tess

Homemade Real Gravy
When I make gravy I always add mustard (normal type) and a really good big teaspoon of whole grain mustard, also a really good crushing of black pepper, delicious flavour when this is added.

juco

Homemade Real Gravy
Mix with meat stock and a little plain flour then gradually add boiling water to stop it going lumpy bumpy

If you use a whisk and stir with it while it is heating you shouldn`t get any lumps, also use this for the quick version of a proper cheese sauce, with no lumps.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Homemade Real Gravy
Always mix the flour thoroughly with a little cold water first. That'll stop it forming lumps.

If making a chicken gravy, use a packet of chicken soup mixed with half the recommended amount of cold water. Give it a good whisking. Pour in the juices from the cooked chicken together with a few drops of Cross & Blackwell Gravy Browning to give it colour. Then heat it and add sufficient water to give it the consistency you want. Adjust the flavour to your liking by adding a Knorr stock cube, some dried sage and onion mix, a large spoonful of Cranberry Sauce, Dijon Mustard etc etc.

LeylanTiger

Homemade Real Gravy
Always mix the flour thoroughly with a little cold water first. That'll stop it forming lumps.

If making a chicken gravy, use a packet of chicken soup mixed with half the recommended amount of cold water. Give it a good whisking. Pour in the juices from the cooked chicken together with a few drops of Cross & Blackwell Gravy Browning to give it colour. Then heat it and add sufficient water to give it the consistency you want. Adjust the flavour to your liking by adding a Knorr stock cube, some dried sage and onion mix, a large spoonful of Cranberry Sauce, Dijon Mustard etc etc.

Better still,"Your Favourite" Stir a teaspoon of Marmite into any gravy and you will find that 'perfect taste' (trust me it's fantastic)

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Homemade Real Gravy
Yep, Marmite in the gravy's good too, but you have to be careful that the taste isn't too overwhelming for those that don't like it. (Mrs KKOB for instance)

Manda

Homemade Real Gravy
Sue,

I don't think Migros have it, but Tespo's do. Also Dempa have it (on the way to Manavgat just past Kiral garden furniture shop). There is another shop if you go up the road opposite Dempa & it's on the left. They are quite cheap & do lots of things like HP sauce to.

Homemade Real Gravy
I always use the potato water, leave the potato water in the saucepan and in a large mug or bowl disolve 3 oxo's in a couple of inchs of boiling water top up with cold water, and add a tablespoon of flour mix up and add to potato water, bring to a simmer for a couple of minutes, just like mums with out the fat.

When we were in Turkey couldnt find oxo's so used Knor beef cubes the flavour was ok but very pale not the rich colour you want so I put a spoonfull of sugar in the microwave and heated it until it burnt very dark brown then add a little water to it and disolve then add to the grave until you get the colour you want, it doesnt make the gravy sweet or burnt tasting just colours it, and if you look at the ingredients in gravy browning it is burnt sugar.

Jane

tomc1984

Homemade Real Gravy
What about Comptons Gravy Salt you can buy it online and it says they deliver worldwide, not sure if this includes Turkey. Mix with meat stock and a little plain flour then gradually add boiling water to stop it going lumpy bumpy. Just checked and they also sell Bisto. It can't cost that much to post a tub of Bisto surely

Can't beat Comptons gravy salt, we take it out with us, small, light and cheap. You could not get it for a while in UK, the factory in the lake district somewhere burnt down, but all well now. Thanks all for the recipes they are making my mouth water now.

tjd

Homemade Real Gravy
Just get traditional Bisto powder, none of that granule stuff, and make up gravy. The Turkish people near us love it, and so do I. Every time we come over a couple of them ask my wife if she's making stew will she make some extra, with plenty of sos.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom