Homebuyers Show 2006 at Excel London
We went to the Homebuyers Show at Excel yesterday.
The most prominent stands were all selling Turkey and Bulgaria like crazy and queues were building up.The Spanish and Florida stands seemed a lot quieter.
It was very noticeable that the Spanish ones had loads of pretty girls trying to attract your attention with leaflets whereas the Turkish and Bulgarian staff were so occupied they did not need to.
We met several people who knew or lived in Fethiye and they seemed the nicest of the lot with genuine interest in people and not just a sales pitch.
There was such a bias and enthusiasm towards the stands promoting Turkey and Bulgaria that several of the Spanish stands personnel were saying " oh yes we are getting into Turkey soon".
Northern Cyprus was being heavily promoted too.
We try to mention these trends and reports etc to help people living in Turkey to keep up to date. Those in the UK who know all this or who went there should excuse us.

parrot

terry and susan cocks said:
We try to mention these trends and reports etc to help people living in Turkey to keep up to date. Those in the UK who know all this or who went there should excuse us.
This information is useful to all regardless of where they live,thank you.

ragbob

Think it just confirms what most of the ppl on this forum on here already know, the Turkish property market is growing and growing fast.

We agree that the Turkish market is growing fast but in the Sales section of this forum a couple are selling their 4 bed semi triplex villa in Didim fully furnished with beautiful pictures for £50,000 yet you can hardly get a 2 bed apartment in Fethiye for that now.
ARE WE MISSING SOMETHING AS RESALES SEEM TOO CHEAP AT TIMES

I thought £50,000 was about the right price for a 4 bed 2 bath semi villa in that area?

Hi Terry and Sue,
Second hand home owners have to sell cheap now because there are so many new properties for sale. The market is saturated with new build and everyone wants new!
Result is, no one wants secondhand! Therefore you have to sell it cheap to get any interest.
Regards
Alan

westonalan said:
Hi Terry and Sue,
Second hand home owners have to sell cheap now because there are so many new properties for sale. The market is saturated with new build and everyone wants new!
Result is, no one wants secondhand! Therefore you have to sell it cheap to get any interest.
Regards
Alan

Hello
Why do people not want 2nd hand? Because of earthquake and building regulations or because they want a house all nice and new? I myself am keen on buying an older house so I can put my own stamp on it. I guess if people are buying for renting, they want it all new? Anyway now seems a great time to buy in Turkey and I am glad I am checking Turkey out sooner rather than later.

CJD

I think that is a very sweeping statement Alan!
speaking as a No One I bought a secondhand
property 2 years ago and am looking for another
Having watched some of the new houses being
built in Ovacik, I decided that I would Only buy a
property that had stood the test of time! and least
you can see the problems and wether you want to deal
with them

Last edited:

Manxman

I never understand why people are so obsessed with paying a premium to buy new, because 2 months later it is second hand anyway and also the landscape is apparent with a resale wheras you can get a nasty shock with new builds as the view you thought you had is suddenly obscured by another building.

aitchij

aitch
Terry and Susan
The reason we bought our house in Akbuk(nr Didim) was because the prices down in Fethiye Olu Deniz were so much higher. We looked at propery when we first went to Fethiye in 99 and we looked at a four bed 2 bath renovated stone house with stunning views and walled orchard with room for a pool for 45,000 in 04 when we were wanting to buy could not get anything similar for under 140,000 so we looked about and found that the Didim Area was the place for us as the prices were much lower. Having missed out on the Fethiye market we were not going to make the same mistake.

So glad we bought when we did.

aitchij said:
Terry and Susan
The reason we bought our house in Akbuk(nr Didim) was because the prices down in Fethiye Olu Deniz were so much higher. We looked at propery when we first went to Fethiye in 99 and we looked at a four bed 2 bath renovated stone house with stunning views and walled orchard with room for a pool for 45,000 in 04 when we were wanting to buy could not get anything similar for under 140,000 so we looked about and found that the Didim Area was the place for us as the prices were much lower. Having missed out on the Fethiye market we were not going to make the same mistake.

So glad we bought when we did.
Thanks for your experience with Fethiye inflationary prices and the Didim area sounds nice.
Obviously if prices have been soaring since 1999 in the Fethiye area we have bought well up the increase ladder albeit only a fairly modest 2 bed apartment as we didnt want to take on a big mortgage in our 50,s so used some money an aunt had left us, but hopefully there is some way to go haha.
Turkey certainly seems to be booming doesnt it.We guess there must be some sort of ceiling on prices in the future and if resales seem cheaper,are agents talking up prices or is the demand still good?
Certainly the recent shows in the UK have been very buoyant about all the western/southwestern coastline of Turkey
All the best

Last edited:
Manxman said:
I never understand why people are so obsessed with paying a premium to buy new, because 2 months later it is second hand anyway and also the landscape is apparent with a resale wheras you can get a nasty shock with new builds as the view you thought you had is suddenly obscured by another building.
We totally agree.
When you look at that lady,s 4 bed villa and its beautiful pictures marketed for £50000 near Didim in the for sale section, AND ITS FULLY FURNISHED WITH A NEW TERRACE, you have to think people would be queueing up to buy it compared to a new build at a higher price which you have to furnish plus cope with any teething troubles.
You only have to look at earlier pictures of other resales and their prices to wonder why new build is such an obsession and new build owners could be one of those bargain resales in a few years.
Each to their own we guess

We knew very little about Turkey when we bought at Xmas in Fethiye and it was a spur of the moment decision as our money was earning a pittance in interest in a bank here and the UK property market is very expensive so you get more abroad for your money.
We obviously dont recommend acting like we did but a friend of ours had bought there and said it was nice!! MAD we know!!
People who have bought in other areas contribute to this forum and it gives us a good insight into different regions,Bodrum, Didim,Dalaman etc etc.
It may be our sense of humour but there is a healthy competitive element of "ours is best" between the areas,quite rightly due to individual pride in their properties.
Regardless of where us Brits are buying we all seem to be very enthusiastic of Turkey and are also doing better overall than leaving it in a bank in the UK.
We wish everyone the best of luck regardless of area.
What about a sports day with teams from each area competing like our houses when at Grammar school in the 60,s.

We have just visited the 2007 Homebuyer show at Excel in London Docklands.
Once again it was very busy on the overseas side with Egypt,Morocco and Dubai having more presence than last year but Turkey and Cyprus were still busy alongside them.
The main Turkey interest was Bodrum which is seemingly becoming very developed with new complexes planned everywhere.
The prices are still very competitive when compared to Spain and other areas of the Med so I guess it will continue to be popular.
The Fethiye area seems to have become expensive with far less available land to develop unlike the Bodrum peninsula hence the agents seem to be concentrating on it.
A newcomer was Australia but what a way to travel just for a week in your holiday home!!
What was very noticeable was the fairly low key approach from the Turkish agents just smiling and asking if they could help.
Contrast that with the Bulgarian agents who seemed more inclined to shove a bosomy blonde from Sunny Beach in your face with a wad of leaflets preventing you from moving further down the aisle!!!
The overseas market here at the UK end seemed as buoyant as ever and there were suggestions of a better tourism year for Turkey etc with no major scares this year and a better promotion campaign on the TV etc
Many countries were promoting themselves as all year round resorts and in view of the relatively mild winters in the Turkey Med coupled with the development of the new ski resorts inland ,this may help both winter and summer seasons in Turkey.
Many people dont want to cram their visits into a gap between May and October so I think the more Turkey develops its all year round image of summer sun and winter skiing,the better!!
The bird flu depression of last year seemed absent anyway!!

Saoirse

Hi ya neighbours. Hope you are right and things pick up this year. As you have said previously each to his own but personally I wouldnt touch Bulgaria etc. Many of the appts I have seen are not well built and people are mistaken in thinking there is brilliant rental potential. Package hols to Bulgaria (and Turkey) are relatively cheap so its hard to see a good mark up can be made after the flight only part is paid.

parrot

terry and susan cocks said:
We have just visited the 2007 Homebuyer show at Excel in London
We went to to a similar exhibition a few weks ago at Olympia in west London,it was an absolute waste of time.Even after spending time speaking to various exhibitors we were in and out in about 45minutes,it was dismal,got the usual hard sell and lies,did enjoy the look on their faces after disproving what we were told and telling them been there,got the t shirt and also property.Although on the whole it was a wasted sunday afternoon.

Wolverene

Bulgaria sounds nice, all I want to know is if I buy one of the Bulgarian properties Do I get to keep the "bosomy blonde"??? :1:

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
İ had a look at some Bulgaria web sites cos it's not so far from here and supposedly dirt cheap. İ found prices as low as 5k and thought 'wow' - then İ looked again. These were in remote rural areas and delapidated needing complete renovation. When İ looked at coastal prices or near ski resorts the prices were on a par with Turkey. No free bosomy blondes either (thank God) :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom