enoch

Home Brew Cider
I bottled my raisin cider into 2 x 2 litre PET bottles 1.75 litres in each with 5 carb drops in each, I squeezed the air out of both and within 24 hours they were rock hard so carbing well, not sure leaving such a gap is a great idea as the carb will form above the cider and not in, well that's my theory albeit I may be wrong, another week and I will know.
I also put a 4 litre batch on with just 2 sliced and roughly crushed baby eating apples, no yeast but a couple of multi vit tablets in for nutrients, they started to bubble within 24 hours @ 22c in the kitchen, I moved them into the garage @ 19c and its now bubbling away slowly but looking good.
I also put a 20 litre batch of plain apple with 1.5 litres of no added sugar apple squash in, always a slow starter but tastes really good when finished, its taken 3 days to form a krausen but should move on a bit now, no rush as I have gallons of the stuff and hardly drink it.

Martin

Hardly drinking it my address is...................
My cider and currents has slowed down now I will give it another week at least before bottling? Glad I don't use glass bottles the plastic ones made the bottom go round with the pressure. But it tastes OK.

Last edited:

enoch

Home Brew Cider
What caused a mix to start fermentation again? It was settling nice, then the balloon started to inflate again.

enoch

Home Brew Cider
Have you tried cherries with apple going to give it a go, I was just wondering if I could do it the same way as the currents with no yest?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Home Brew Cider
What caused a mix to start fermentation again? It was settling nice, then the balloon started to inflate again.

Sometimes if the fermentation vessel gets a knock the yeast my find some more sugar

Martin

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Home Brew Cider
not sure on cherries, try a 2 litre plastic bottle as an experiment. You can do it with yeast or raisins, I've never done it but people with more experience than me suggest, wash the fruit, freeze it, thaw it, freeze it again give it a bash, I would stone cherries before I did anything and then put the damaged cherries into the ferment, no idea on the ratios, I use 100 g of strawberries in a litre of vodka, all fruits are different but i would start either 500g in 5 litres

Martin

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Home Brew Cider
Nice and warm here in sunny South Lanarkshire, decided to try the raisin cider I made a few weeks ago, it took longer to ferment without too much obvious action from the bubbler, fairly clear when finished, I lightly carbed it as per my preference for 2 weeks in a warm place, been difficult to find a cool place even up here in the frozen north, I then put it in the fridge where it sat for 2 weeks, that wasn't a plan more circumstance, so today came the acid test, how did it taste, normally straight apple juice ferments fairly dry, great if you like dry cider but I prefer medium so would back sweeten with canderel or something, it actually came out really well, not to dry, definitely not sweet
but good enough not to need adjusting, I will make this again upscaling the ingredients to match the quantity, it ended up about 5.5%

All in all a success and easy to replicate anywhere.

Martin
CIDER.jpg

enoch

Home Brew Cider
Nice and warm here in sunny South Lanarkshire, decided to try the raisin cider I made a few weeks ago, it took longer to ferment without too much obvious action from the bubbler, fairly clear when finished, I lightly carbed it as per my preference for 2 weeks in a warm place, been difficult to find a cool place even up here in the frozen north, I then put it in the fridge where it sat for 2 weeks, that wasn't a plan more circumstance, so today came the acid test, how did it taste, normally straight apple juice ferments fairly dry, great if you like dry cider but I prefer medium so would back sweeten with canderel or something, it actually came out really well, not to dry, definitely not sweet
but good enough not to need adjusting, I will make this again upscaling the ingredients to match the quantity, it ended up about 5.5%

All in all a success and easy to replicate anywhere.

Martin
View attachment 18999
I have just dumped mine , it smells terrible. I will try again when the temperature drops. I have stopped it all the moment its in the 40s.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Home Brew Cider
I have just dumped mine , it smells terrible. I will try again when the temperature drops. I have stopped it all the moment its in the 40s.

The heat will stress the Yeast big style and produce eggy smells, bulk brew and store in winter is the answer.

Martin

Kalkanite

Kalkanite
Home Brew Cider
One lot of Colin’s “died” but he added some ordinary fresh yeast and it’s on the go again.
He’s never had to throw any away.

enoch

Home Brew Cider
Vinegar, acetic acid, sounds like you had fruit flies in it. I used to find that when I made cider, it went off more often than not here in Turkey. When I add more sugar to make apple wine I have never had a batch go off.
Could it have been the organic currents like you said earlier?

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Home Brew Cider
Could it have been the organic currents like you said earlier?

Yes, if bacteria were present. I would have boiled the currants for a short while before adding them. Another precaution is to reduce the surface area of the liquid in the vessel as much as possible. To do this my initial fermentation would be in a large plastic bucket (generally batches of up to 20 Litres) and after the initial foaming has died down I would put it into a 19L water bottle so that it fills up to the neck. Make a very small hole in the blue plastic top so that the gas can escape but too small for fruit flies. Please let us know how you get on with the next batch. (It is cooler up here in the hills than where you are on the coast, and less humid too).

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Home Brew Cider
For a change I knocked up a kit brew of lockdown Chardonnay, I re-racked it for further clearing in the now cool garage, should get 29 bottles at 9.25% out of this, will probably do some Sauv Blanc and Pinot Grigio before Christmas if time permits, I will aim for 11 - 12 % with those.

CHAR.jpg

Will put on a 20 litres of Cider tomorrow which will be a still cider, my pig farmer neighbour wants 5 litres to put a Christmas/spice bag into to flavour for cooking her Christmas hams in, 10 piglets were born yesterday but they will be next years meat.

Martin

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Home Brew Cider
I've stuck to making still cider, since the last lot I have made another 23 litres of still which I bottled today, I then started another 23 litres of the same, our farmer neighbours love it, they dropped off some infusion spice bags for a few bottles as they cook pork in it as well as drinking the plain stuff, we get pork stuff in return, got a huge portion of ribs with the slab of belly on to try this week at some point hopefully.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom