Saoirse

Holidays in 2022 or 2023
Why Antalya?

If you want skyscraper type hotels and bland tourism Benidorm is a quicker flight

Fethiye man. Get real

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Holidays in 2022 or 2023
Why Antalya?

If you want skyscraper type hotels and bland tourism Benidorm is a quicker flight

Fethiye man. Get real
Its probably not for us but thought I would ask, I've been to Fethiye, it was closed, thankfully we stayed in Calis which seemed to have more life and I think Terry Waites bike chained up on the sea front, not sure it will be open in November or if we can even get reasonable flights to Dalaman.

Saoirse

Holidays in 2022 or 2023
Hate to do this to you but Calis IS Fethiye

One part main town marina and now stunning walkway linking to its beach area Calis

Possibly the most improved Meditterean resort I have visited in past 5 years has brought it from usual Turkish resort to totally comparable to many in Espana Italy etc

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Holidays in 2022 or 2023
We went into the main town and port area, apart from the daily boat trips lifting their anchors and sailing off it was pretty quiet as were the back streets around a couple of small shopping areas. Didn't bother me as walking around a town looking in shops at stuff I neither want nor need is my thing, however !

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Holidays in 2022 or 2023
In the eighties Calis and Fethiye were separated by marshland , there was one road if i remember correctly , long before the hospital was built alongside the Akkent guest house . A lovely quiet little place , having re visited it is all a bit different now .
Steve

Holidays in 2022 or 2023
Martin, we've had a few winter holidays in Antalya and the weather is normally pretty good in November, similar to here. Although we've stayed at Lara beach, we do prefer the old town. There is so much more going on. I do wonder where you stayed in Fethiye, because it is a pretty busy town that doesn't close down during the winter months. Xx

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Holidays in 2022 or 2023
Martin, we've had a few winter holidays in Antalya and the weather is normally pretty good in November, similar to here. Although we've stayed at Lara beach, we do prefer the old town. There is so much more going on. I do wonder where you stayed in Fethiye, because it is a pretty busy town that doesn't close down during the winter months. Xx
Sue, Antalya is now off the list, we went on Google earth street level and Philip is right, Benidorm would be a better bet, I've never been there either.
We were in Calis in June 2014, had a good time, got on the boat taxi to Fethiye and walked around the harbour where the day boats and pirate boats etc go out of, we sat having a coffee watching them jostle to get out then had a walk, quite a few shops were closed and hardly anyone about.
Maybe we were in the wrong part of town, no idea as never went again.

Kanga

Holidays in 2022 or 2023
I went to Antalya in November 1965, my first trip to TC. I was on a school educational cruise for 6th formers, on an old troop ship calle the Nevasa. It cost me £45 and I worked all summer on a farm to earn my fare. It was the best £45 I've ever spent. It's a shame they have been discontinued.
The town was tiny and ended at the 6 sided minaret, it was all open country beyond growing various crops. We were welcomed off the ship by the town brass band, which had plenty of sound but not always harmony. There was a tiny open air market there. I bought a pair of filigree silver earrings which I still wear sometimes.
The cruise started in Venice (flew from London) and called at Antalya, Beirut Lebanon and an extra day tours to Damascus and Aleppo, then back across the Med to Piraeus for Athens, Gibraltar, and up the Bay of Biscay to Southampton. We had proper classrooms with lessons and field trips.
I've been back to Antalya since, stayed in the Old Port hotel. What a change, mile of 27/7/365 fast food and hotels with floodlit tennis courts etc! The hotel has a swimming pool with a glass side and all the swimmers look like raw chicken legs through the glass.
I was kidnapped by a dodgy carpet dealer, but that's a story for another time. . .

Camden

Holidays in 2022 or 2023

TURKISH CARRIER TO FLY FROM FIVE UK AIRPORTS THIS SUMMER​

11 JAN 2022BY GARY NOAKES
Turkey’s SunExpress has confirmed a range of flights to the country from Gatwick, Luton, Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh this summer.
TR FB LI WA
B738_XQ_over_sea_web_Main.jpg
SunExpress will serve five Turkish destinations from the UK this summer

The leisure carrier, owned by Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines, will operate up to seven weekly flights to Antalya, Dalaman and Izmir.

It will also operate to Turkey’s capital Ankara and Gaziantep in Anatolia, two destinations mainly aimed at ex-pats.

"We are excited to grow in the United Kingdom,” says Peter Glade, SunExpress commercial director. “Travellers from our five airports are longing for well-deserved vacations in the sun at a great price point.”

SunExpress will serve its home base Antalya from all five airports and offer flights to Dalaman from Gatwick and Manchester. The carrier will connect Izmir, Ankara and Gaziantep to Luton.

SunExpress was founded in 1989 and now serves 51 destinations, carrying 10 million passengers on a fleet of 59 Boeing 737s.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Holidays in 2022 or 2023

TURKISH CARRIER TO FLY FROM FIVE UK AIRPORTS THIS SUMMER​

11 JAN 2022BY GARY NOAKES
Turkey’s SunExpress has confirmed a range of flights to the country from Gatwick, Luton, Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh this summer.
TR FB LI WA
View attachment 25696
SunExpress will serve five Turkish destinations from the UK this summer

The leisure carrier, owned by Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines, will operate up to seven weekly flights to Antalya, Dalaman and Izmir.

It will also operate to Turkey’s capital Ankara and Gaziantep in Anatolia, two destinations mainly aimed at ex-pats.

"We are excited to grow in the United Kingdom,” says Peter Glade, SunExpress commercial director. “Travellers from our five airports are longing for well-deserved vacations in the sun at a great price point.”

SunExpress will serve its home base Antalya from all five airports and offer flights to Dalaman from Gatwick and Manchester. The carrier will connect Izmir, Ankara and Gaziantep to Luton.

SunExpress was founded in 1989 and now serves 51 destinations, carrying 10 million passengers on a fleet of 59 Boeing 737s.

No body heard of Newcastle, a lot of people from that neck of the woods come to Turkey.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Holidays in 2022 or 2023
Linsey and I have sat here reminiscing this afternoon amongst other things, we first went to Bodrum in about 1987/8 and met some people who have remained friends ever since, some have since passed over the years so we have decided to shift my birthday to September/October from November and land in Bodrum to celebrate it, we looked at other places and came close to booking in at the CR7 hotel in Funchal, however 2 weeks in Bodrum chilling and visiting old friends both expat and Turkish has won the day.
So if it all pans out as hoped I will be happy to share beers and wine and expensive presents off all those who know me on the Bodrum Peninsula and those who don't of course.
On a serious note I spoke to a Turkish friend today who I have known for 33 years, he's not having a great time of it due to the current climate, It woke me/us up to what is important.
So after all it looks like Whitley bay for my November break, does the sun shine there ? ever ?

Holidays in 2022 or 2023
You may not get much sun in Whitley Bay in November, but you can keep nice & warm if you walk down to Riley's Fish Shack on the beach in Tynemouth. They have loads of wood burners & fantastic Langoustine. We have hung out there a few times on our winter visits up north to see the in laws

429nufc

Holidays in 2022 or 2023
Also excellent fish & chips on North Shields fish quay
Whitley Bay was always thought of as slightly posh, in my youth the entire population of Glasgow used to take over the caravan site, offies used to run out of Buckfast

Latest Posts

Top Bottom