Joe Fernand

Holiday Cash!
Hello all

Great Forum, been lurking for a few days trying to gather info for our 'last minute' trip to Akbuk.

Were having a couple of weeks (two adults, three kids) from next Monday - wont be going mad on trips etc so no big expenses over and above food and drink.

If I follow what folk are saying elsewhere on the Forums (still working out when posts are aimed at Residents and when aimed at Tourists :)) the advice is bring enough Turkish Lira for the first few days then sterling travellers cheques for the rest of the stay with Switch/MasterCard as a backup!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Joe

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Holiday Cash!
They will take pretty much any currency here!! (Apart from Scottish that is) Not in the Supermarkets and trading names but most other places :)

Last edited:

Talkinman

Holiday Cash!
I wouldnt bring any Travelers cheques at all. Bring cash and change it is the banks. The day s of the T/C are numbered in fact I believe that quite a few places wont now change them.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Holiday Cash!
Hiya Joe and welcome to TLF. I would also take just a small amount in Turkish Lira and English pounds. Hope you and your family enjoy Akbuk, I've never been but there's a good community on here from there and it sounds a great place to go. I must make time and get there myself one of these days when we're out. We're over on the Bodrum side near Yalikavak, love Turkey and it's people.

:27br:

PASH

Holiday Cash!
Far safer bringing a small amount of sterling in cash and a switch card. Would not have too much in sterling hanging around as like anywhere, it can get stolen. If you are going to use your switch, a quick call to your bank to advise them you are in Turkey as they are starting to block transactions from abroad if it gets flagged up as possible theft/fraud

Harem

I've cliqued
Holiday Cash!
Can only iterate what others have said and say don't bring travellers' cheques. Use your ATM card to draw cash as and when you need it, that way you don't have to have too much cash on you and you lessen the risk of getting it stolen.

Fendouglas

Gangless!
Holiday Cash!
One of the best ATM Cards is for a Nationwide Flex Account the use of which does not incurr any charges and you are always sure of the best exchange rate.

Holiday Cash!
Hi, yes I agree with Pash. You lose out with travellers cheques.We have a little turkish and some english and always use ATM. We're with Nationwaide so no charges. I agree, tell your Bank and also Credit Card company you are going to Turkey so they won't think someone has stolen your card and stop it. As we have a propeerty in Turkey and notified our bank etc of that they know we use it abroad and we don't have to keep telling them. Just as well as I'm out there every 4/5 weeks.
Have a nice holiday.

Holiday Cash!
Just make sure you check your English pounds notes before you bring them as there have been a few cases of forged notes being used in Turkey and if caught using them you will be sent to prison, there are a few stories on here if you do a search which are really scary and have put me off bringing sterling, better exchange rate or not I change all my money before I travel.

Dont mean to worry you, just be cautious especially if you are bringing large amounts of cash as its quite easy to miss the odd note.

Jane

Tess

Holiday Cash!
:30: Have to say I am one of those people who covers any eventuality, well mostly I do or at least try, (my failures in other departments will be evident someday just not now), but back to topic - I take a combination of travellers cheques, sterling, my maestro card and a very small amount of lira. So far I have not encountered any probs in Tinky, I go to Anatolia jewellers at the corner of Didim Shopping Centre and I have a card he issued me several moons ago with my details on it. He changes my cheques and sterling at no charge I get the going rate. At the end of my hol he even changes my remaining cheques for me into sterling so I am not left with commission charges when I return them to my bank in NI, I am always mindful if my cheques are stolen I can have them replaced within 24 hrs, however if my cash is stolen can't see anyone replacing it and then I use my maestro if I am out and need cash or to pay in the supermarket etc. Won't be everyones idea but it makes me feel happier and safer.

Holiday Cash!
Make sure any notes are clean and not torn, exchanges won't take them. Get a Nationwide flexi account set up withdraw pounds from HSBC then change it at the exchange no charges whatsoever, if you use other cards you will be charged I think £1.50 or £2 per transaction.

Joe Fernand

Holiday Cash!
OK - I'll make sure I have no duds, will give the notes an iron and weed out the Scottish notes before we head out on Monday :)

Many thanks for all the great advice.

Joe

Tess

Holiday Cash!
Northern Irish notes not accepted either, nice new crisp bank of England - boy wish I had a lorry load, that would make some holiday LOL!!!!

Joe Fernand

Holiday Cash!
Hello all

Back home now to sunny (for today) Scotland.

Had a relaxing time in Akbuk and no hassles with cash - the 'Red' ATM worked every time with no hassles.

Many thanks for the great advice.

Joe

Peregrine

Holiday Cash!
:30: , however if my cash is stolen can't see anyone replacing it and then I use my maestro if I am out and need cash or to pay in the supermarket etc. Won't be everyones idea but it makes me feel happier and safer.

most holiday insurance includes for cas (up to a reasonable amount), check your policy

I use cash, credit card and then UK bankcard at ATM as last resort

Latest Posts

Top Bottom