giglets

"Hobnobgate"
On last Thursday's "This Week" current affairs programme, presenter Andrew Neil jokingly compared the two political pundits/panellsts MP Dianne Abbott and Michael Portillo to a chocolate hobnob and custard cream, repectively.
Neither of the two politicians were upset or complained, taking the comments in the light-hearted manner they were intended.
A very small number of people then complained to the BBC, saying that the quips were racist.
The BBC reacted by "pulling" the programme from its' various websites, as if it had never been broadcast.

Two questions strike me;

1. Have the British totally lost their famous sense of humour?

2. Did the BBC over-react to a very small number of complaints received?

Dave

jimskem

"Hobnobgate"
A case of the P.C. Brigade going way over the top.
All because Dianne Abbot is Black. She found Andrew Neal's comments amusing.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
"Hobnobgate"
On last Thursday's "This Week" current affairs programme, presenter Andrew Neil jokingly compared the two political pundits/panellsts MP Dianne Abbott and Michael Portillo to a chocolate hobnob and custard cream, repectively.
Neither of the two politicians were upset or complained, taking the comments in the light-hearted manner they were intended.
A very small number of people then complained to the BBC, saying that the quips were racist.
The BBC reacted by "pulling" the programme from its' various websites, as if it had never been broadcast.

Two questions strike me;

1. Have the British totally lost their famous sense of humour?

2. Did the BBC over-react to a very small number of complaints received?

Dave

Yes and yes. The PC brigade are on guard 24 hours.

parrot

"Hobnobgate"
Soon we won't be able to call a hobnob a hobnob.:5:The complaints probably came from apologetic whiteists.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
"Hobnobgate"
i like hobnobs especially chocolate ones not so keen on custard creams .

i thought at last we were moving away from the pc brigade - that is so ridiculous.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
"Hobnobgate"
Do they sell Hobnobs in Turkey?, if not I will pack a packet when I next come out, see you in the Tea House, lol. It's so damn frustrating, I dunk mine very gently and as I lift it to enjoy, plop, it falls into my tea, and I always check that they are solid with no cracks in them afore I dunk them. There's is an art to dunking you know, we could have a competition, the first one to plop, buys the ale. Gingers are the best ones by far, as they're very hard.

Last edited:

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
"Hobnobgate"
..actually one thing i do miss being here over in Turkey is a good old dunk!!

Him indoors just doesn't get this essential UK pastime (he just thinks it wrong..along with milk in tea)

And you just can't acheive it with the biscuits over here (believe me, a lot of research has gone into this, but to no avail)

Sunny..have you tried a treacle crunch? Give a little more variety over the ginger and just as sturdy!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
"Hobnobgate"
..actually one thing i do miss being here over in Turkey is a good old dunk!!

Him indoors just doesn't get this essential UK pastime (he just thinks it wrong..along with milk in tea)

And you just can't acheive it with the biscuits over here (believe me, a lot of research has gone into this, but to no avail)

Sunny..have you tried a treacle crunch? Give a little more variety over the ginger and just as sturdy!

Funny, but my hubby doesn't understand why I love to dunk mine in my tea either, I'll not tried treacle crunch, but the harder the cruchiness, they're better.

Ooooo Harem, your gingers with a chilli bite sounds delish. Would you p.m me your recipe, please.

Smiler

"Hobnobgate"
Ah!! That would explain comments made last night about "falling into a hole" and Portilo's cryptic (to me anyway) remark and Andrew Neils sheepish look.

"Hobnobgate"
I haven't made many posts on here yet, but i do so much enjoy reading all your replys. You are such a friendly bunch to each other (well mostly)
I am dunking as i type xx

Smiler

"Hobnobgate"
At the last company I worked for, Fridays were always "Hobnob Fridays", someone (usually me) bringing in a packet to share, (we knew how to while away a Friday!!).

Nowadays, working from home, I get to eat a whole packet to myself and then feel sick!!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
"Hobnobgate"
The ulker hanimeller range of biccies from Kipa sometimes available in the lira sale are as near as you will get to the genuine article in Turkey. Just had a packet. Dunked in my coffee. Yummy.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
"Hobnobgate"
I haven't made many posts on here yet, but i do so much enjoy reading all your replys. You are such a friendly bunch to each other (well mostly)
I am dunking as i type xx

Hi Catswhisker, you should join in the fun that is TLF. I've just had a very nice cuppa, and dunked my digestive, not as hard as a Hobnob, but at least they didn't plop into my tea. It's amazing how many of us love to dunk, cadburys choc fingers also very nice, the choc goes all liquidy, hehe.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom