Herb - Cutting Celery
Has anyone else tried this?

I can,t get celery out here in the boonies of Kas, but a lot of recipes list celery as one of the ingredients. I,ve used celery salt but its just not the same.

Well, *says she hands on hips*, I was bought a packet of this herb and it,s FANTASTIC!!

It looks like flat leafed parsley but tastes of celery.
I use it a lot in salads, omelettes, stir fries etc.

I,ll definately try to over winter it in a sheltered spot on my patio, but just in case it gives up the ghost I,m going to try and freeze it.
I,m guessing you can freeze it the same way as parsley, snipped and frozen as an ice cube, and then just lob it into the casserole, whatever when cooking.

Soo x

Duke

Herb - Cutting Celery
Hi What would have been Really helpful was the Name of this local herb???? I know sometimes here in Altinkum they sell a plant thats got a small Celiarac root & thin Celery like stems but dont know its name any wise people who speak Turkish out there??
Duke

Wow as I wrote the above the other two posts arrived Duhhhhh????? Anyway Can anyone out there reccommend a subsitute & Turkish name please I tried getting Coriander (Kisnis is the Turkish name) think its only availabe in very big cities

Last edited:
Herb - Cutting Celery
Hi Duke
The Turkish for celery is sapkerevizi and for celeriac its kereviz.

As far as I,m aware the herb isn,t grown here, (thats why I couldn,t give you a local name) but I wanted to tell everyone about the seeds available from the UK so that those of us living here can grow their own.

Herb - Cutting Celery
Hi again Duke
I couldn,t get coriander so had a go at growing some from the seeds I bought from the local spice stall and they came up a treat.

They don,t like full sun out here as it will make the plant bolt, I keep mine in dappled shade.

Soo x

Herb - Cutting Celery
Just wanted to give an update on freezing Cutting Celery.

It worked out just fine. I snipped it up in a cup first and then put it in teaspoon measures into an ice cube tray and topped up with water.

Tonight I made some Cashew Paella and threw some of the cubes in and the colour stayed lovely and green and the flavour was subtle but nice.

Happy growing to anyone who tries these seeds out.

Soo x

saffie

Saffie
Herb - Cutting Celery
Sounds lovely!
I love celery and think it adds a nice flavour to soups and casseroles but only managed to buy actual celery once when I spotted it in Kipa...........cost an arm and a leg but haven't seen it available again.

Pity not to be able to get hold of swedes and parsnips here too.........oh and Spring greens...............yummy.

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Herb - Cutting Celery
It's only since living here that I have used celeriac and I love it. I roasted some in with potatoes, and it was lovely. I mashed it into potatoes to give a different flavour. I have tried it in recipes where I would usually use celery, with some success, depending on the recipe.

As for coriander, I grow my own, and it is so lovely to just nip off what I need and know the rest is there, fresh, for next time.

cassıe

cassıe
Herb - Cutting Celery
Yes you can buy Celery. I got it off Turgutreis market. It does not look the same as in UK but tastes wonderful. The root is really big and can be used for all sorts. The leaves are really big but taste better than in UK.:504xn:

Bibby

Ferretbrain
Herb - Cutting Celery
cassıe;302384 said:
Yes you can buy Celery. I got it off Turgutreis market. It does not look the same as in UK but tastes wonderful. The root is really big and can be used for all sorts. The leaves are really big but taste better than in UK.:504xn:

That sounds like Celeriac to me.

I love it.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Herb - Cutting Celery
If the "celery" you buy looks like this, it's celeriac. It's a good substitute taste wise, but not so good for salads and dipping sticks into Heinz salad cream.

Click here

Last edited:

teresa

Free Thinker
Herb - Cutting Celery
We have bought celery a couple of times in Migros, I think it is at the beginning of the year.

T&M have free P&P this weekend but unfortunately the cutting celery is out of stock. I will look for it when we go to the UK, as it sounds good.

Par-cel (Zwolse Krul) (Seeds)

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Herb - Cutting Celery
Yep, there's always a stampede when the expats find out that Migros and Tansas have got proper celery in. You'd think they'd get it in more frequently wouldn't you?

Maisie

Herb - Cutting Celery
teresa - go back on the T & M site and put "cutting celery" in the search. It comes up with the legend "Herb: Cutting Celery". Click on that. These do not appear to be out of stock. Maisie

zozatky

Herb - Cutting Celery
I thought that was Maydanoz flat leaf parsly I use it in most dishes, soups , salads , stews ect, ect. You can buy it any were most times of the year .

Last edited:

zozatky

Herb - Cutting Celery
Not much difference is there..!!!

Attachments

• 450px-Snijselderij_Apium_graveolens.jpg
    450px-Snijselderij_Apium_graveolens.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 449px-Parsley_Flat.jpg
    449px-Parsley_Flat.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
  • veggies_celery_406.jpg
    veggies_celery_406.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2
Herb - Cutting Celery
Zozatky
What you are buying IS maydonoz, flat leaf parsley.
Cutting Celery LOOKS like flat leaf parsley but the taste is entirely different.

If you click on the link that Teresa has supplied you will see that the cutting celery herb does not look like regular celery (but does resemble the leaf tops of the celeriac bulb plant).

I have asked my Turkish neighbours if they have ever seen cutting celery here and all have said no - in fact they all said they wouldn,t use it in a salad, but would use celeriac in stew type dishes.

Soo x

p.s Maybe it,s just me - but I found your second post extremely sarcastic - which is totally uncalled for. (Especially as you have your facts wrong!)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom