tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Help with translation please
Hi, please can anyone help with translating the paragraph below. At Christmas I e-mailed my neighbours a few lines (a few english words then I followed with what I thought was the turkish meaning). A bit haphazard but I just said hi, Christmas here, over in May via Istanbul which I am looking forward to. I got the following back with an attachment (some translation tool but when I click on the drop down box Turkish is not in the options!)

"Chrismas Day bayramınızı kutlarız. Sana ve ailene mutlu yıllar dileriz. İstanbul'u ziyaret edeceğine çok sevindik.İstanbul'u mutlaka bir rehber yardımıyla gezmek gerekir. İstanbul için heyecanlanmakta çok haklısın, sen çok güzel ve büyük şehirler gördün ama İstanbul farklı bir güzellik ve beş gün yetmez. Galata kulesinden İstanbul Boğazını ve (Golden Horn) Haliç'i seyret ve Galata Köprüsünün Yeni Cami tarafında Teknelerde balık ekmek arası pişiriyorlar, çok taze ve lezzetli hemde çok ucuz, mutlaka balık ye oradan Balıkçılar İstanbul'un sembolü olmuşlar. Bizi hatırla balık yerken. Biz senin İstanbul'dan iyi anılarla çokj mutlu olarak Didim'e gelmeni isteriz. Türkçe yazıyorum daha iyi öğrenmen için. Mutlu Christmas Day Mutlu Yıllar Görüşmek üzere arkadaş"

I just copied and pasted this from my Hotmail account in the hope someone can satisfy my curiosity.

Many thanks
Carol x

ChrisBobs

Chrismas Day bayramınızı kutlarız. We celebrate your Christmas Day holiday
Sana ve ailene mutlu yıllar dileriz. We wish you and your family a Happy New year.
İstanbul'u ziyaret edeceğine çok sevindik. We are happy to hear you will vist Istanbul.
İstanbul'u mutlaka bir rehber yardımıyla gezmek gerekir. You definitely need a guide in Istanbul.
İstanbul için heyecanlanmakta çok haklısın, sen çok güzel ve büyük şehirler gördün ama İstanbul farklı bir güzellik ve beş gün yetmez. You are right to be excited about visiting Istanbul, you have seen many beautiful big cities, but Istanbul has a different beauty and 5 days isn't enough.
Galata kulesinden İstanbul Boğazını ve (Golden Horn) Haliç'i seyret ve Galata Köprüsünün Yeni Cami tarafında Teknelerde balık ekmek arası pişiriyorlar, çok taze ve lezzetli hemde çok ucuz, mutlaka balık ye oradan Balıkçılar İstanbul'un sembolü olmuşlar. Visit Galata, and the Golden Horn, and beside Galata Bridge near the Yeni Cami(Mosque) there are the very cheap, fresh delicious fish cooked and serrved in bread; that fish and those fishermen are the symbols of Istanbul.
Bizi hatırla balık yerken. Think of us when you eat one.
Biz senin İstanbul'dan iyi anılarla çokj mutlu olarak Didim'e gelmeni isteriz. We want you to come to Didim with happy memories of Istanbul.
Türkçe yazıyorum daha iyi öğrenmen için. I will write in Turkish for you to learn better.
Mutlu Christmas Day Mutlu Yıllar Görüşmek üzere arkadaş"
Happy Christmas Day, and Happy New Year , see you soon friend.

Something like that- how sweet.

alison09400

"Chrismas Day bayramınızı kutlarız. Sana ve ailene mutlu yıllar dileriz. İstanbul'u ziyaret edeceğine çok sevindik.İstanbul'u mutlaka bir rehber yardımıyla gezmek gerekir. İstanbul için heyecanlanmakta çok haklısın, sen çok güzel ve büyük şehirler gördün ama İstanbul farklı bir güzellik ve beş gün yetmez. Galata kulesinden İstanbul Boğazını ve (Golden Horn) Haliç'i seyret ve Galata Köprüsünün Yeni Cami tarafında Teknelerde balık ekmek arası pişiriyorlar, çok taze ve lezzetli hemde çok ucuz, mutlaka balık ye oradan Balıkçılar İstanbul'un sembolü olmuşlar. Bizi hatırla balık yerken. Biz senin İstanbul'dan iyi anılarla çokj mutlu olarak Didim'e gelmeni isteriz. Türkçe yazıyorum daha iyi öğrenmen için. Mutlu Christmas Day Mutlu Yıllar Görüşmek üzere arkadaş"

Happy Christmas Day. I wish a happy new year to you and your family. We're very glad that you're going to visit Istanbul. It's definitely necessary to get the help of a Rep to sightsee. You're right to be excited about Istanbul. You've seen very beautiful and large cities but Istanbul is a different beauty and 5 days isn't enough. Go to see the Galata Tower, Bosphorous and Golden Horn. Near the Yeni Camii (New Mosque) there are boats were they cook fish in half a bread; it's very fresh and tastey and the fishermen there are a symbol of Istanbul. Remember us when you eat the fish. We want you to return to Didim with good memories of Istanbul. I'm writing in turkish so that you're learn better. Happy Christmas Day. Happy New Year. See you soon Friend.

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
ChrisBobs & Allison thank you so much (& so prompt). Now I know what they said I feel a bit tearful and homesick for Didim!

Yes Sharon, they are a great crowd. I really lucked in with my koomsho's (I know that isn't how I spell neighbour but phrase book not handy at the mo). It is the silver lining after the whole Parador/Karma Legal saga. "Koomsho" was how it all started - I was on my balcony when the next door neighbour came out, my turkish phrase book was on my lap so I had a sneaky look under the table then waved and said 'Merhaba koomsho'. This lady was tickled pink and then there was a swarm of them, all gabbling away! They insisted on turkish cay every afternoon (it was like a Jan Austen 'high tea' turkish style). They mostly seem to be "retired professionals" (middle class I suppose you would say) from Izmir but they are so keen to learn and ask all sorts which can be a bit of a shock. It gets a bit animated with all the actions/charades going on. I am looking forward to seeing them all again soon.

Thanks all, Carol x

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
What great neighbours Carol, we had a family from Ankara stay next to us last Summer, we had an absolute fantastic time with them all, their last night with us will stay with me forever. I bet you cannot wait to be back in Didim, I know exactly how you feel.

Carol, what a lovely message to receive from your neighbours, no wonder it makes you feel homesick for Didim.
Also sweet of them to tell you about a couple of things for Istanbul.

Soo x

really nice..
but i believe that the fish direct from the boats has been forbidden now.. maybe someone will know if thats true or not..?
i remember them a few years back...very tasy too

alison09400

really nice..
but i believe that the fish direct from the boats has been forbidden now.. maybe someone will know if thats true or not..?
i remember them a few years back...very tasy too

Shirley I sat across from Yeni Camii last march and had fish in half a bread...so unless the rules have been changed since then it's still ongoing. Shame if they are closed down...they were doing a roaring trade :)

i think it was starman..remember him.....he was a great member and then vanished..
he lives in istanbul and i once mentioned about the fish sanwiches straight off the boats..and he said they had been banned.so maybe it was just temporary thing.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom