jandj

Help with book title
A couple of years ago I read Bird Song by Sabastian Faulks with great pleasure, a tremendous novel based on The Somme. I was told about a novel written in a similar vein about Turkey centering around WW1. Its apparenly an excellent book, but I cannot remember its name. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

jandj

Help with book title
Found it!! Its called Birds without wings.
In essence it is set in Western Turkey in the early 20th century and concerns the events surrounding the first world war, the break-up and eventual dissolution of the Ottoman empire, and the effect that this has on the everyday inhabitants of a small town.
The story opens in Eskibahce and we are drawn into daily life through a series of anecdotes and tales told through the eyes of its various inhabitants. As the book progresses, the scene is cut more frequently to the historical events that are taking place, and as the book reaches its climax, we find ourselves totally engrossed in the war: the geopolitical struggles, the nationalist politics, the struggle between Greeks and Turks, and life in the trenches at Gallipoli.

The book achieves a superb balance between its gripping description of the history and politics of the time, and its equally gripping personal dramas being played out in this context. It explains the great tragedy that results ultimately in the deportation of the Turkish Greeks, with its attendant destruction of whole communities, the terrible consequences to individuals, and even the break-up of individual families.
(taken from Amazon)

geordie_nev

Help with book title
I've never read the book "Bird Song" but I think you might be thinking of "Birds without Wings" by Louis Bernieres which is an excellent book.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-without-Wings-Louis-Bernieres/dp/0099478986"]Birds without Wings: Amazon.co.uk: Louis De Bernieres: Books[/ame]

Last edited:

leylaasena

Help with book title
An excellent book with a very balanced view on the events of the time and an interesting look at Ataturk's life too.

Very illuminating.I really enjoyed it and learnt a lot.

jandj

Help with book title
Thank you both, most sincerely. I ordered the book last night on Amazon and look forward to reading it.

jandj

Help with book title
I've never read the book "Bird Song" but I think you might be thinking of "Birds without Wings" by Louis Bernieres which is an excellent book.

Birds without Wings: Amazon.co.uk: Louis De Bernieres: Books

Please try BirdSong, its a super read. From Amazon a review
Without doubt, Birdsong is by far and away the best book that I have read all year and is up against some some stiff competition. I was recommended it by a close friend of mine whose taste in books is seldom wrong, and she was right once again. The book is simply stunning. The harrowing narrative about trench life is starkly drawn, and leaves little to the imagination. Faulks portrays the soldiers' lives as hellish because, well, they were. It takes books like this to bring it all home to you about what those millions of people did for us all those years ago and is a living testimony to why the world wars should never be forgotten.

traveller

Help with book title
janddj, you will love Birds Without Wings, it's a really good read. The village of Eskibahce in the book is in fact the village of Kaya Koy near to Fethiye. Just been up there today, it's worth a look if you are in the Fethiye area. I'm sure KKOB will be able to tell you much more as he is a resident of Kaya. Captain Correlli's Mandalin, set in Kefalonia is also by De Bernieres and features a few of the Greek inhabitants relocated from Kaya in Birds Without Wings.

Help with book title
Well, Peter bought and read Birds without wings last year, but I could not get past the
bit at the front The Cat
" She was licking
the opened tin
for hours and hours
without realising
that she was drinking
her own blood."

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Help with book title
"Birds without Wings" One of the best books Ive ever read and Ive read some believe me! Wonderful story and so well written, an absolute joy.

geordie_nev

Help with book title
Hi JanJ, Thanks for your recommendation. I like reading historical novels so I might give it a read.

To be honest it took me a while to get into “Birds without wing” but once I got past the first 100 pages I found it hard to put it down. It’s great to get a feel of what Turkey was like during that time.

My grandfather was an army officer in the Turkish army during the war of Independence and my Great grandfather was killed during the Balkan Wars so it was a must read for me.

Great book, hope you enjoy it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom