Bri&Jen

Help!! Storage bed stuck in upright position!
I have wriggled it! I have tried to cajole it! I have used brute force! My bed is stuck up and not going anywhere!! I remember someone else had this problem some time ago and i have been trying to find the thread to no avail. Can anyone advise please?

catweazle

I know i might be stating the obvious but have you checked the locking mechanism

Bri&Jen

Hi Catweazle. There is no obvious locking mechanism on the hydraulicy thing!! Unless you know another method? Please share.
Jenny

v6cod

Living in Okcular
On our bed the locking mechanism is just a plastic thing that swivels round and clips onto the strut when it is in the open position. It can't inadvertently lock on it's own

Never heard of a hydraulic strut locking open before normally it is the other way the hydaulics fail and it won't stay open.

I suppose one way to get the bed to close would be to undo the strut(s) at the bottom. But make sure the open bit is supported first with something.

juco

A couple of pictures of the mechanism would help.

Try pushing it to open further and pulling it close, keep trying this and it may unstick itself.

Last edited:
The locking mechanism may have got pushed into place while you have moved things stored in the bed.

Bri&Jen

After much searching i also found Helen's thread! Nice to know that it is a common problem!! No luck yet but you should see my biceps!!

Jenny

Bri&Jen

Have downloaded a picture of the offending hinges!!! Still struggling to lower the bed 4 hours later!! It was funny but the novelty has worn off a bit!
Jenny

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 50

grahamdady

Grahamdady
Take the hidraulic hinge of if in shuts the u need to wd40 hinge or bu a new hinge
graham/fcc/toon

juco

I am not familiar with these beds but as grahamdady stated take the hinge off (only 4 bolts) that would allow the bed to close and allow you to have a play with the hinge. I doubt if it is the hydraulic arm and I presume one of the other struts must slide in some way to facilitate closure. I suspect one of those other 2 struts are in a locked position.

Looking at hinges on google it appears that some have a locking mechanism on the hydraulic arm check this isn't in a locked setting.

Added...
Gas Struts aid the lift of the bed, giving a balanced lift with a safely lock out in the full open position to prevent the bed from being lowered or falling. To release the mechanism, push the mattress up slightly and then lower.

Last edited:

beyazbayan

Spray the hydraulics with WD 40 or any electrolube spray it may be just dust in the mechanism.

the bueman

Unbolt the gas strut and it should drop down......but be careful.....the bed could drop like a stone...... as a consequence it will not lift up easily and may require something like a stick to prop it open while you need to remove and store items.

The strut is gas filled and it is possible the strut has leaked gas into the other side of the piston and not allowing it to drop down. That's my best guess. Works on the same principle as your average Hatch Back Rear Door.

Last edited:

Bri&Jen

Unfortunately I have been home alone today so all your helpful tips I have not be able to manage except for the oiling of the hinges. In desperation this afternoon i called in a furniture maker, and he duly called. I showed him the problem and with one hand he easily pulled down the bed!!! I was so embarrassed as he looked very puzzled at me and shrugged his shoulders! But on the positive side he did not charge me although i insisted he took a tip. So thank you all for help and i still have no clue to what happened!! Maybe it was not aligned properly or maybe i just loosened it for him!!!
Jenny

juco

Ha ha hilarious, I hope you sleep well tonight :)

Question, have you actually opened and closed it before ?

Bri&Jen

Yes Juco, the bed has been up and down many times with no problem!! (I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere!!)

Jenny

louise17

How funny Jenny, I know off topic but I could not raise my daughters bike saddle & loaded it in the car (no easy thing) & took it to a bike shop where he just lifted a lever & pulled the saddle up, easy peasey, me mortified!!!! He just laughed & I ran out pretty sharpish!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom