shash

shash
Help - please
Many printers have planned obsolescence programmed in. Worth a Google if your printer is a few years old.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
Looks to me like you've been doing the right steps...

Getting the ip address and putting it in the browser looks like the right option if you can get it to work...

Maisie

Help - please
Tenpin: I have already tried the first "fix", but when I put in the IP address my computer says that Safari cannot connect with the server, so I do not get the EWS page.

I had already read the second link. However, I do not get any of the three message screens shown. I just have the colour light blinking on the printer. The printer icon on my string across the bottom of the screen shows a figure 1 (item waiting) and a 'shriek' (exclamation mark) in a yellow warning triangle. These do not disappear unless I cancel the print job. In System Requirements, Printer, the message is that there is a Cartridge Problem. It shows a print queue with the item shown as not printing. Within the Printer's Utility the message says Cartridge Problem and Used, Refilled or Counterfeit - Tri-colour, and Black (which I assume is okay although it is a remanufactured cartridge). I also have an icon for HP Smart which, when clicked, comes up with the message that the problem is that "An Older Generation Cartridge is Being Used". Remove it and install a genuine HP cartridge.

After reading all the various circumstances that might be affecting my printer, I have come to the conclusion that the cartridges are locked to another printer. But as the IP address does not work, I cannot remove any protection.

I am considering that maybe the best option would be to reinstall the printer. However, this says that all the printer settings will be removed. To be honest, I am not sure that any settings as such were installed. So far as I can remember, I just connected the printer and went to 123.hp.com to install it, as directed on the installation leaflet enclosed with the printer. This is quite easy. In any case, how do I uninstall the printer? I know how to do this with Windows, but not on my Mac.

Within the Apps screen, there are several items marked as HP. These are HP Utility, HP Easy Scan and HP Smart. Am I correct in assuming that if I delete these (if I can) this will remove the printer from my system? I have already tried deleting the printer on the System Requirements, Printer, and re-selecting the printer as the preferred printer from the list this offers. This does not work. I would like to hope that if I do this, that somewhere within this installation procedure, I can remove the cartridge information, as the cartridges are not put into the printer until after the printer software is installed. Although I do not recall seeing this.

It occurs to me though, that if I go down this route and cannot anywhere remove the protection, I will have to do this every time I put in a new compatible cartridge. This is assuming that the printer software will lock to my printer, now newly installed.

I never had this trouble with my dot matrix printer! For someone like me who is not particularly techie-minded this is really getting to me!

Maisie

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
The message about the type of cartridge comes from a chip built into the cartridge.

Could you put the IP address in your reply, copy and paste the entire URL address as you see it in the Safari browser please.

You could also install Chrome, just to see if the IP address works in the Chrome browser.......I've see one report of Safari blocking the access, but Chrome working.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
One other question and probably a dumb question on my behalf.....how is your printer connected?

Is it connected using a USB cable?

Or is it connected via WiFi?

I presume WiFi as you can see an IP address for it.

Also.....just read there is another way to access ews...
To open the embedded web server from the HP printer software
1. Open the printer software.
2. Click Print & Scan , and then click Printer Home Page (EWS).

Last edited:

Maisie

Help - please
My printer is connected via a USB. I got the IP address by getting an HP Configuration Page, which shows multiples of information, including that the Wireless function is disabled. This says the the URL(s) for the EWS is https://0.0.0.0, but this gets the same message that Safari cannot connect to the server. I also have a Printer Status Report, which gives a URL address that is the same as on the Configuration page as the IP address.

I installed Chrome quite early on in this problem. But when searching with Chrome I get a list of items, but they all say that the IP address I am putting in is the Router IP although the Configuration Page says it is the IP address, under the heading of IPv4. Also under this heading is another address as being the Subnet Mask. What is this??? I do have another string of similar numbers for the Router IP address, which is different to all the others! I don't know where I got this from. The IP address I have is 192.168.223.1. The Configuration page also says (also under IPv4) that the default gateway has the same string of numbers as the IP address and is also the same for the Primary DNS Server. I have also got written down (don't know from where) an IP address of 192.168.1.72, but this doesn't open the EWS either.

Tried the last suggestion. I get to the Print and Scan page, but there is no button or tab for Printer Home Page. None of the three HP Apps as I mentioned earlier have this tab either.

As to the cartridge - I assume that the information on the chip is what is causing the problem. At some earlier stage in it's life, it was probably locked to another different printer. If I re-installed the printer and then inserted one of these "wrong" cartridges, would I get the message to say the cartridge is used, etc. and by saying "no" or "ok" to the warning message and thereby reset the information on the chip to the printer I want to use it in?

The window is looking very inviting for a bit of jettisoning!

Maisie

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
Regarding EWS....it's not available unless your printer is connected wirelessly.

It looks easy to change the printer from USB to wireless on page 77 of the user manual.
You can download the manual (if not already done so) from here.
Or Google search for HP Deskjet 2623 user manual.

Regarding subnet mask......it relates to splitting networks.
Nothing you need to change and most likely set to 255.255.255.0

Ultimately to unlock the cartridge you'll need to change the printer to wireless.

I will admit that the IP address 192.168.223.1 is an unusual one.
Every router I've ever dealt with has used 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

Maisie

Help - please
Oh crumbs! Page 77 deals with paper jams.

As I already have HP Smart installed, I went there. I did what was asked, put in the network name and password to connect my printer to the wireless network. It is now saying that Wi-Fi is connected and gives me a new Wi-Fi address of 192.168.1.157. The utility now pops up and tells me that it cannot communicate with the selected device (i.e. HP 2632). It is saying that it is USB connected. So I pulled out the USB cable from the back of the computer and the other end from the printer. The message is still the same, cannot communicate and connected via USB. On both occasions the box suggests that the device may have been turned off or otherwise disconnected. The printer is switched on, but the colour cartridge light is still blinking.

Initially the network box said that I had ethernet connected. I have deleted that, but it makes no difference. The box still says that I have Wi-Fi connected. I can't now put the ethernet connection back in. Don't know where it came from, but it is gone. The + button only gives me the option of connecting Thunderbolt Bridge. What on earth is that?

I said that I had a router address, this is indeed 192.168.1.1 as you suggested.

It seems that it doesn't matter what I do, cartridges in or out, the cartridge light blinks. Whilst this is blinking, it has effectively shut off the printer - I think.

In the manual, it says about installing the cartridges that came with the printer. I no longer have these. They were thrown away when they ran out and were replaced, a very long time ago now. A search on the internet only gets a connection to HP support with the message that a private message has been sent to the original person asking the question about setup cartridges.

On page 7 of the manual, there is an explanation of the icons. On my printer, the first one is showing. However the panel also shows the last one on page 6, the one with an exclamation mark. I assume this is sort of connected to the cartridge blinking light.

Even if I delete all the HP stuff in Applications and start again, I am in the same position with the cartridge light blinking. It seems that I cannot overcome this by doing anything. I have tried searching with the new (Wi-Fi) address of 192.168.1.157 but get the same message that Safari cannot connect with the server. But the Utlity page keeps trying to connect and just rolls over with the same message as above,

It seems the printer is locked "off" whatever I do.

Can you hear me screaming?

Maisie

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
In the manual I downloaded page 77 says.....

'Change from a USB connection to a wireless network'.

To change from a USB connection to a wireless connection (OS X and macOS)
1. Remove the USB cable from the printer.
2. Restore the printer to its network defaults.
For more information, see Wireless settings on page 69.
3. Download the most recent version of HP Easy Start from 123.hp.com.
4. Open HP Easy Start and follow the onscreen instructions to connect your printer.

I'm not sure we are looking at the same manual....page 7 on mine says
HP DeskJet 2600 series Help.

One way to check if the printer and Mac are talking is to try scan a document through the HP Smart app.

Sha Hoorsur

Help - please
In the manual I downloaded page 77 says.....

'Change from a USB connection to a wireless network'.

To change from a USB connection to a wireless connection (OS X and macOS)
1. Remove the USB cable from the printer.
2. Restore the printer to its network defaults.
For more information, see Wireless settings on page 69.
3. Download the most recent version of HP Easy Start from 123.hp.com.
4. Open HP Easy Start and follow the onscreen instructions to connect your printer.

I'm not sure we are looking at the same manual....page 7 on mine says
HP DeskJet 2600 series Help.

One way to check if the printer and Mac are talking is to try scan a document through the HP Smart app.
Same as mine, I never managed to get it to work wireless. Look at the Amazon reviews on it.

Maisie

Help - please
Well, this is so strange! I downloaded the manual from HP and the title is the same. Although my page 7 is different, page 69 does show Wireless settings. Chapter 7 page 71 appears to have the information you quoted in your reply.

Please forgive me - I am not sure what the line that says to restore the printer to its network defaults means after removing the USB cable. However, I see that your No. 1 says to remove the USB cable. As I said before, I did this, and nothing changed. Should I have done something else following this?

I tried to scan a document through HP Smart. It came up with a page asking me to create an account. However, I also have HP Scan in my Apps. So I tried that, and the document scanned with no problems, although of course I cannot print it. Now, though, I don't even get the message that the printer has a problem, probably because I deleted the Ethernet connection and it is only showing Wireless.

The colour light continues to blink throughout. The Network details say Wi-F is connected. I have reconnected the USB and this is not working either!

Following the instructions on page 69, nothing happens to the display on the control panel on the printer. The Wireless light lights up briefly and then goes out. It is as though the blinking cartridge light is acting as an On/Off switch and while it is blinking nothing else can happen.

I considered buying a new printer, but it is apparently an old model. eBay is selling them from several people, but it comes without ink. I have considered other printers that take the same ink, but these are much more expensive. I have seen HP 2722 from Argos which does come with ink. But the cartridge is not the same as for the HP 2632 - and I have a huge box full of these! In any case, this cannot be delivered by Argos, and is not in stock anywhere near me.

I am wondering what would happen if I installed genuine HP cartridges, that is, would the light go out? Expensive to try if it didn't work, just adding to the number of cartridges I have that will not work.

I have just read the reviews on Amazon, as suggested by Sha Hoorsur. Catalogue of errors! Although I must say that, until this latest problem, I was more than satisfied with it. It worked well with my previous computer using Windows XP. If this computer had not burnt out, I would never have bought this Mac. What I cannot understand is why the printer has suddenly decided that it will not accept the compatible cartridges. It did before with no problems.

I am beginning to think that this printer will never work again no matter what I do.

Maisie

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
If you want to override the cartridge issue you're doing the right steps, its just a matter of getting them working.
And we know you can't do ews using the usb connection.

If you can scan then it is communicating over WiFi.

To be honest I would tempted to delete the printer, then delete the hp printer app and start from scatch with installing it as wireless as per the manual.

Looks like on a Mac you remove the printer by deleting it....
If you no longer use a printer, you can delete it from your list of available printers. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners. Select the printer in the list, click the Remove button , then click Delete Printer.

And removing the app.....

That is if you want to try that.

Maisie

Help - please
I will think about that tomorrow. I have a horrible feeling that if I delete everything and then try to reinstall the printer, the bloody blinking light will still be there and will stop anything happening!

At the moment I have a further problem!!!!!!

Bearing in mind I don't really know what I am doing: when I connected the Wi-Fi, somehow this disconnected my LAN cable connection to the router. At the time, I was thinking that I was connecting the printer wirelessly, whereas in fact what I did was connect my computer to Wi-Fi.

Mark 'phoned me - he does every day. When I told him what I had done he went spare! He said to put it back. I said I can't because the option for ethernet has disappeared. He had me pulling and connecting cables back and forth and switching the router on and off, etc. This is difficult because the router is in another room (Mark's bedroom) and has a cable coming into my computer room by a very circuitous route. Nothing worked and he has come to the conclusion that the cable has gone whatsits up! He is coming here tomorrow to try connecting his laptop with the cable to check this.

Oh dear!!

Maisie

Maisie

Help - please
Mark was here for a long time. The LAN cable works with his laptop, so general concensus is that the Ethernet socket on the back of the Mac is not working. We did find some information that says Apple switched these off in 2016, but I bought this Mac in October 2019 and the socket was working until I switched on Wi-Fi on the computer and the choice for Ethernet disappeared from Network.

As this cable worked perfectly before and apparently is still working, I have bought a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. I have a port for this. But, the printer still does not work. Mark could not come up with anything different to what I have already tried. But strangely, since we messed about with wiring etc. today the blue wireless light on the printer's control panel has now come on. But it still has the exclamation mark against it in the panel, and the colour cartridge light is still blinking! It still won't print.

Maisie

Maisie

Help - please
Hi Tenpin: Having slept on this printer problem, I do not think I am going to overcome the problems with my current printer. Therefore, I am considering buying a new HP printer and subscribing to HP's instant ink programme. Up to 100 pages per month costs £3.99 per month. The next level is 300 pages per month for £9.99 per month. Judging by how often I open a new packet of 250 sheets of paper, I think 100 is nearest the mark. But the plan can be changed. I assume that for this to work the printer will have to be wireless, but I will not have any problems with the printer rejecting a cartridge.

I am considering HP 2710 - what do you think? It seems to be closest to the HP 2632 that I have, and which now appears to be virtually obsolete! The ink cartridges are different, but this will not matter if HP is supplying these. I have just had a count up. For the HP 2632 I currently have eleven unused cartridges, colour and black. At between £16 and £20 each this is quite a bit to have to write off.

Incidentally, I found the last colour cartridge that was working and tried this one again, but it didn't work. That blinking orange light is doing my head in!

Maisie

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
Hi Maisie

The HP 2710 looks like a close, reasonable replacement.
I've never used the ink program so I cannot comment on that.

However, it might be worth trying a couple of things before doing that if you're going to replace the printer........and if you want to.

For instance, you say you have spare cartridges....have you tried putting any of them in?
If it's a cartridge locked to another printer I doubt you'd have 2 with the same issue.

The wireless light and exclamation mean the printer isn't connected to the WiFi.
Is the printer back on a USB connection now?

Maisie

Help - please
I have tried all of the colour cartridges I have - six. Seven if you count the one that I have just found which was the last in that worked, albeit now empty, which is where the trouble started. On one of the help pages I found, it suggested putting back in the last cartridge that worked. I also have five black cartridges. I have not replaced the black cartridge in the printer, because the light for the black cartridge is not blinking.

The wireless blue light is on, and as I said, I have not seen this before. The exclamation mark is in the information panel above the buttons. Although the wireless light is now on, the printer is back on the USB. I tried printing without the USB, so it was "using" the wireless connection but the bloody light was still blinking.

I have found a telephone number for Hewlett Packard for queries. I think it is only for the instant ink system, but I am going to try them tomorrow. I will be fairly honest with them, saying that although I have been using "their" cartridges (fibs of course), I thought I would try and save a few bob by using a compatible. Then tell them what has happened and ask that if I sign up to their instant ink, will this problem go away by installing the cartridges they send me. Worth a try?

Maisie

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
If your printer is out of warranty I don't think you'll get much support.

As for the WiFi light and indication in the panel.....in the manual there appears to be examples with good descriptions of what they mean.

If all the cartridges do the same it might be a corruption in the printer.
I would say it's extremely unusual if all the cartridges would be locked.
Now, it is possible to do a factory reset on the printer....not in the manual.
If you cannot print to it it's worth a try.

I had an issue at one stage with an HP where it wouldn't see the printer even though it had the day before....I had to remove the HP software and reinstall it to get it to see it again, just like when I first installed it.....that too is an option even if you're going to replace the printer.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom