Maisie

Help - please
I have an iMac computer. According to the info I have macOS High Sierra version 10.13.3 (17D47). The info also says iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011).

I am having problems - big time. I need to download an update to Excel (because I cannot print anything from Excel at the moment. It keeps asking me to 'Activate' but clicking on this button doesn't work) and I keep getting the message that the update requires a later version of Mac. I do not understand. I have tried searching for an update and have clicked 'download' all over the place, but nothing is happening.

The message I am getting mostly is that whatever it is I am trying to download apparently needs to be accessed from the App Store. The message says that this cannot be accessed. Although I can access it independently. However, when I click the Excel update button, it comes back again with the message that I need to have 10.14 installed.

I am going round in circles - have been since about 11.00am this morning. The pile of hair I am tearing out is getting bigger!

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to proceed?

Maisie

Maisie

Help - please
Oh bugger!

I have managed to download Office 2011, although I had to tell my system that I wanted it to open even though it wasn't from Microsoft!

Problem I now have is how to transfer the stuff from where I was using Excel before to this new system.

Computers are wonderful - aren't they?

Maisie

Galaxy Girl

Galaxy Girl
Help - please
Latest Apple-supported macOS for your 2011 iMac is High Sierra (10.13.6).
The MacOS 10.14 you need to have installed is macOS Mojave, which is unfortunately not supported by any pre-2012 Mac, so I’m afraid you are stuck with High Sierra.

I have recently been forced to buy a new Mac as my old late-2009 Mac (stuck on macOS Mavericks 10.9.5) did not support any updates at all, plus I was unable to order anything on-line using Safari; I could fill the basket but could never check out and kept going round and round in circles with the same outcome (I got round that particular problem by downloading and using Google Chrome for on-line shopping).

I tell you this Maisie, as it may be something you encounter in due course as your Mac gets older, and may prevent you pulling out more hair!!!

I’d been struggling with my old Mac for a long time, and just as I threatened it with being thrown out of the window, the IT guy at work volunteered to try to sort out the problem but failed (which was a first for him in the twenty or so years we’d been using Macs, but he’d never had to work on such an old Mac!)

It was a sad day when I checked the trade-in value of my faithful old Mac to find that it was worth nothing, it was only good for recycling! Fortunately I had the money set aside for this purchase as I knew it was inevitable but had been putting it off.

My new 2020 iMac is currently running macOS Catalina. Although macOS Big Sur was released last month (Nov.2020) my IT guy advised me not to download it yet as there are several glitches and I need to wait until patches have been released and am waiting for him to let me know when this is.

I know I’m very fortunate to have someone with intimate knowledge of Macs who I can call on … he’s worth his weight in gold!

Maisie

Help - please
Galaxy Girl: I found this out - eventually! I am a bit peeved about this, as I only bought the Mac just over a year ago - refurbished with a 12 month guarantee. I have tried but cannot download the update to 10.13.6, so I will have to carry on for now. When I bought it, it was supposed to come with Office. When I complained, the guy blinded me with science as to how to delete what was there (nothing) and re-install Office. I could not follow his instructions, so did the best of a bad job with the online Word and Excel. Which was fine until Excel stopped printing yesterday.

Yes, my window was looking better and better through the day for chucking the computer out! After finding out the non-capabilities of my computer OS, I found that I could download Office 2011. Yippee!!

This is very confusing at the moment. The 'office' I was using before was a very basic system from online. This new system has more of the tabs, options and formatting that I recall from when I was last at work. Although, this 2011 system is more complicated than the one I used at work. I have been retired for eleven years now, so hardly surprising!

I have spent hours this morning in Excel recreating all my templates and spreadsheets, with frequent trips to the internet for instructions. I still have to 'do' Word. I think I will leave that for today - I have had enough!

It is a shame that I am not paid for the hours I spend sorting out this damned computer! My son is pretty useless. He is a genius with a 'normal' computer and can take them apart to the last nut and bolt and rebuilding them. But he knows nothing about the Mac system. Although, I bought this one on his recommendation! To be honest, he did say at the time that it would drive me up the wall, and he wasn't wrong. He said yesterday (when I moaned at him) that buying the Mac was the most sensible choice, given that my previous computer, running Windows XP, had burnt out inside the tower.

I will have to consider, like you, that I will have to junk this at some point, and start saving up.

Maisie

Maisie

Help - please
Are you trying to confuse me? Admittedly, not difficult where computers are concerned!

Maisie

Maisie

Help - please
I have a problem with Office 2011.

I can load Excel with no problem and have reworked all my templates. However, I cannot load Word.

Whenever I try (by using the W on the string across the bottom, this defaults into the Word programme I was using until I downloaded Office 2011. This tells me to Activate or purchase Office, and therefore won't do anything.

I can pick up Word from my downloads, but either get the 'old' one or, I get a page welcoming me to Word and inviting me to go exploring! This does not tell me how to start using the Office 2011 Word programme.

The window is looking inviting again!

Maisie

Maisie

Help - please
I don't know. I found it by searching for Office 2011 on the internet. It says Office:mac 2011 and appears to be from Microsoft. The download was free. Other than that I don't know. Although there was a message saying that this was not from a recognized source and asking if I wanted to download it anyway. I said yes.

In view of the fact that Excel works, I find it strange that Word will not behave, or even open.

I also got Powerpoint, Office Outlook, Microsoft Communicator, Microsoft Messenger, Microsoft Document Connection and Remote Desktop Connection at the same time (according to the buttons across the bottom of my screen), although I don't know what any of these are or whether I would ever use/need them.

Maisie

Last edited:

Maisie

Help - please
I now have a bigger problem. My printer has stopped working. It is saying that I have installed (!) a counterfeit cartridge. Admittedly, it is a compatible but I have been using these since day one. The only indication I have is that the colour light on the printer is blinking. When I access the system requirements, printer, and ask for status, it says the tri-colour cartridge is counterfeit, but the black is okay. YouTube 'fixes' all refer to a proper message appearing in the centre of the screen. But this did not happen. After spending nearly twelve hours sat in front of this damned computer, I am no further forward.

From information gleaned over the course of the hours, I tried typing the IP address into the search, which is supposed to open the EWS page, on which I "can" select to remove the cartridge protection. That did not work, it said that Safari could not access the server. I have six colour cartridges and none of them will work. Found out from another site that whilst the number on the cartridge is correct, it might have been "locked" to another model printer which uses the same numbered cartridge. This cannot be rectified.

As a sort of compromise, I have ordered a compatible which specifies that it is for my printer model. Having said that, the boxes the six came in have - amongst many others - my model printer named. If a new cartridge doesn't work I think I might have to buy a new printer.

I could scream!

Maisie

shash

shash
Help - please
I now have a bigger problem. My printer has stopped working. It is saying that I have installed (!) a counterfeit cartridge. Admittedly, it is a compatible but I have been using these since day one. The only indication I have is that the colour light on the printer is blinking. When I access the system requirements, printer, and ask for status, it says the tri-colour cartridge is counterfeit, but the black is okay. YouTube 'fixes' all refer to a proper message appearing in the centre of the screen. But this did not happen. After spending nearly twelve hours sat in front of this damned computer, I am no further forward.

From information gleaned over the course of the hours, I tried typing the IP address into the search, which is supposed to open the EWS page, on which I "can" select to remove the cartridge protection. That did not work, it said that Safari could not access the server. I have six colour cartridges and none of them will work. Found out from another site that whilst the number on the cartridge is correct, it might have been "locked" to another model printer which uses the same numbered cartridge. This cannot be rectified.

As a sort of compromise, I have ordered a compatible which specifies that it is for my printer model. Having said that, the boxes the six came in have - amongst many others - my model printer named. If a new cartridge doesn't work I think I might have to buy a new printer.

I could scream!

Maisie
I used to get that with mine occasionally. I was told to take cartridges out then replace pressing them in extra firmly. I would have to do it about 3/4 times and it worked every time.
Also worth remembering that a printer has a life span and will not print after the designated number of prints .

juco

Help - please
Also worth remembering that a printer has a life span and will not print after the designated number of prints .
Do you mean the cartridge?
My laser carts have a life span of 5000 pages which allows me to refill the toner I then get compatible carts cheaply on ebay, making sure they have been chipped. Much cheaper and less hassle than ink jet.
The printer is still going strong and has printed so far 59000 pages, its a Samsung and made in 2006.

Maisie

Help - please
I wondered about that too. Surely a printer does not have a shelf life? If so, this is very new.

I have just bruised my thumb pressing the cartridge in five times! No luck though.

I do "need" the colour facility. I print photos now and again and sometimes photocopy various stuff.

Maisie

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Help - please
I would look for third party printer software , put in printer model and search for third party printer ink manager ? If you have already done this then apologies .
Steve

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Help - please
Inkjet printers, to my knowledge, do not have a lifespan in number of sheets etc.
The cartridges contain the print head, so that's the only part with a lifespan.

We had issues with an inkjet cartridge and had to go into hidden menus on our printer to override the message ie. powering up with 2 buttons held down.

What make and model is the printer?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom