gren

HELP! I can't connect to the TLF website!!
OK all you Techno IT Network wizards!

I cannot get TLF without using a proxy.

All other websites are fine..
I'm using Firefox, AVG 8.0 and Vista basic.

Never had this problem before....
I've uninstalled and reinstalled both AVG and Firefox, flushed the DNS, tried to change the timeout settings in Firefox..etc.

Error screen says:
"Connection Interrupted
The document contains no data.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again. "

Anyone feeling charitable???

carolk

R.I.P
Sorry Gren, Ive done my bit and your back lol, as for the rest, its all gobbledygook to me!

Mushtaq

Founding Member
The problem is caused by AVG8 you can either uninstall it or disable the Watchdog Service;

Open the System Configuration utility.
Select services and un-check AVG8 WatchDog.
Apply this change and reboot the system.

This should fix the problem.

gren

Fraid not Mushy..

Even uninstalling AVG didn't do nowt..

Thanks though...back to the drawing board..

M

Mack

Hi Gren, have you tried doing a traceroute to the site? in case you dont know how - click the start button and RUN, then type CMD and hit enter to get a DOS window open, at the flashing prompt type "tracert www.turkishliving.com" (without quotes) and hit enter, you should get a list of hops while it finds the route from you to the server, the ms response times should be between 1-300 or so ms, if any in the route are VERY high it could be the problem.

It always a good way to see if its a networking issue or a browser issue and start to diagnose where the problem is.

gren

Thanks Mack. Mushtaq suggested that too but I didnt know how to do it from DOS until your post. Heres the result. Can you dicipher it?
It seems to get stuck at 209.51.131.90. Is that correct?
-----------------------------------

C:\>tracert Turkish Living Forum

Tracing route to turkishliving.com [69.73.170.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 3 ms www.routerlogin.com [192.168.9.1]
2 14 ms 13 ms 23 ms lo0.plusnet.thn-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.101]
3 14 ms 12 ms 21 ms vl703.thn-gw1.plus.net [84.92.4.241]
4 12 ms 29 ms 12 ms ae0-102.ptn-gw01.plus.net [212.159.1.53]
5 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms vl32.ptn-gw02.plus.net [195.166.129.12]
6 13 ms 15 ms 13 ms 195.66.226.167
7 113 ms 110 ms 111 ms gnax.ge2-13.br01.atl01.pccwbtn.net [63.216.31.13 0]
8 110 ms 112 ms 107 ms 209.51.131.90
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * *

M

Mack

Mmm, yes, seems like gnax are causing a "black hole" (in technical terms), try using the DNS server IPs from OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet instead of the ISP supplied ones and see if that helps resolve the break. I assume you know how to do it given you seem pretty proficient :) but there good instructions on the site or let me know and Ill try and help.

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Been investigating this and looks like your IP or range is blocked by the hosting company (could be your ISPs range)

Can you PM me your IP address so that I can check further?

You can find your IP by going to a website like What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more
Do this without using any of the proxy servers, this is the reason you can access the site using proxy servers, because they hide your IP address.

gren

Hi Mack. I tried an opendns account but no success. Thank you though.

Mushtaq I have pm'd you. Thanks.

This is so wierd!

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Gents, please keep this thread visible and updated, i am desperate for a solution to a similar problem.
Steve.

M

Mack

Sounds like Mushtaq is right and its an IP ban on one end or the other, best let him check with the host before crucifying your ISP :)

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Gren, your IP was blocked and is unblocked now, let me know if you still have problems.

gren

Mushtaq I don't know what you did in the last 4mins but I was busy changing my network settings to a static IP address, disconnected then re-connected again.

I could then get TLF!

Then I re-configured my netwrok settings to dynamic IP again and it sill worked....!

Now, I don't know weather it was me or you but I am a happy bunny.

Many thanks to Mushtaq, Mack and Carol for the invaluable help and spending your time on this for me!

If my IP was blocked why would that be?
Something to do with using it in Turkey?

Last edited:

gren

:roundgrin:3::3::48:::thanks::thanks::438qr::438qr::16vf::424bw::424bw::424bw::52::52::52::52::52::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mushtaq

Founding Member
If my IP was blocked why would that be?
Something to do with using it in Turkey?

There are many reasons for IPs to be blocked, motley because of viruses that use your pc to send spam out without you knowing.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom