icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Help anyone ?
I have cooked thenm for 20 minutes, I have cooked them for 5 minutes, I have cooked them with their "Jackets" on and I have cooked them with their "jackets" off I have blanched them for a few minutes ,I have peeled them after cooking and yet I still cant manage to cook a decent broad bean, what am I doing wrong.:132lm:

Now that Hubby is getting into growing his own veg I need to be able to do them justice so to speak in the pot. Any one got a suggestion.please.

Moggycat

Help anyone ?
I think it is a bit late in the year for Broad Beans, so they will be a bit tough and floury inside, catch them young and tender when you can just feel the beans in the pod, cook for about 10 minutes and they should be nice, you can also cook them whole and eat the lot before the beans inside get big enough to shell.

arrian

R.I.P
Help anyone ?
Thanks moggy for your tips.I will certai\nly try them.

are you putting salt in the pan when you cook them? i was told by a very good cook i know, not to put the salt in beans or sweet corn until the end of cooking, and i've found that they do cook much quicker. the salt toughens them up if put in at the beginning.

Help anyone ?
are you putting salt in the pan when you cook them? i was told by a very good cook i know, not to put the salt in beans or sweet corn until the end of cooking, and i've found that they do cook much quicker. the salt toughens them up if put in at the beginning.

I know you are not supposed to salt pulses until they are cooked so this could be it, also have you tried cooking them then popping them out of their shell I havent tried it myself but all the chefs on the telly do it, a bit time consuming but worth a try.

Jane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom