Rashid

Help and advice needed, buying property in Avsallar
Hi guys

I'm new to this forum and have been reading quite a bit on here since our recent decision to buy a property in Avsallar. We are from Maidenhead and have been to Turkey a couple of times on holiday. Recently we found an apartment that we really liked and decided to go for it.

We have looked into hiring a lawyer and we found an independent one in Antalya and she quoted us 1500 euros. We paid her 500 euros upfront but today she asked for the rest of the payment to be sent via Western Union under her mother's name as she had lost her ID.Everything was going smoothly until the lawyer asked for this and she hasn't really done anything yet apart from going to the Tapu office to check all is clear.

Any advice on what steps to take would be really appreciated as initially we felt confident but now having slight doubts and wondering if this whole idea is a good one or not.

thanks

Rashid.

juco

Re: Help and advice needed.

Pity you didnt post before purchasing. With hindsight I wouldnt use a solicior anyway as any decent emlak will put the sale through.
Secondly I wouldnt send any more money (if you must) until she sorts out her ID.
In my opinion she is already setting you up.

teosgirl

1500 Euro's?!

I hope you have a written signed contract with her.

Something is fishy. You need to carry your ID card with you everywhere in Turkey - and it takes a day to get a new one if you lose it. As a lawyer she should be more responsible about this. Monday (if she truly lost it) she would go and get one.

It sounds to me like she's trying to hide the route of any payment...I have no idea why - maybe she's not a real lawyer, maybe she's overcharging you (I would say so) and wants to hide the money for tax purposes...

If you made an agreement regarding payment then simply tell her you're going to stick with that. She's your lawyer, she isn't supposed to pressure you for money.

She may run off with your 500 Euro but better than another 1000 right?
Really, make sure you get a list of every check she makes on this property, because she already sounds unreliable. Believe me if she screws up you'll be out a lot more than 1.500 Euro.

Charlotte

Rashid

Pity you didnt post before purchasing. With hindsight I wouldnt use a solicior anyway as any decent emlak will put the sale through.
Secondly I wouldnt send any more money (if you must) until she sorts out her ID.
In my opinion she is already setting you up.
Thanks Juco.

So far we haven't signed anything yet although we have paid a deposit to the developers . We just received the contract from them today and we sent this the lawyer and the developers are happy for us to pay the remaining balance on the day of the title deed transfer.

Is there somewhere we can check her credentials as when we met in her office everything seemed perfectly normal but this western union payment thing threw us.

Not sure if we're worrying about nothing but no harm in being very cautious I suppose.

Rashid

Thanks Charlotte,

Yes we did think 1500 euros was a bit much but just wanted to find an independent lawyer that wasn't based in Alanya in case the developers knew them.

So should she be sending us the list of checks she says she has carried out or do we need to request them?

thanks

juco

Just sit tight for a couple of days until other members comment as there is a wealth of info on here.
My understanding is that any contract you have/get is for the bin as they dont stand up in a court of law unless notorised I believe.

A solicitor will only do what you ask of them so if you dont know the law and therefore what to ask they will do very little by way of protecting you.

LauraB

Have you given her POA to complete your purchase for you?

teosgirl

Yes Rashid, she should send you details of what she has done so far.
What exactly is your contract with her? Simply to process the property sale?

If she has a central office which clearly states Advocat (lawyer) then I wouldn't bother checking her credentials, she's probably avoiding tax of some kind or hiding finances by keeping them out her bank account.
Whatever her reason, if you're uncomfortable sending the money via western union, and it wasn't part of the original agreement, then don't do it.

Is the property complete? I mean, do the developers have an idea of when the tapu's can be issued?

This is the important part, if the property was built by a developer on land owned by someone else (even if there is an official agreement between these two parties) it could get complicated if someone doesn't get paid. This can delay the issuing of property deeds. Many of the lost properties by foreign purchasers occurred because of a problem between these two parties.

I hope they've given you a time line to work with.

On the bright side, I've personally witnessed off plan purchases where tapu's were issued within the stated time frame.

Charlotte

oldfogy

Just passing through

Certainly not very ethical asking for the payment into her mothers account, not to mention being so incompetent enough to not just lose her ID but to tell you she lost it when as said earlier a new one could be obtained within 24 hours.

A deposit is one thing, but you never pay 100% upfront.

I also think you may have to chalk that 500€ down to experience.

I see there are some other posts since I started this, so I just wish you well and hope things get sorted.

evo80

I thought I read somewhere that sending money by western union was not a good thing to do .?

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”

Rashid you have paid 500 Euro so far for nothing , so why pay the balance now for little or no work done . :27:

I know the apartment may be your dream but you don't want it to turn into your nightmare.

You say you have been on holiday a few times ,why not wait a little longer till you do a bit more research and have a few more holidays , house prices don't seem to be moving or going up, so you are't losing anything. You might even consider renting one, for a while to see if you like the lifestyle before taking the plunge .

The solicitor may be honest but this is not how business should be done.

So 500 euro maybe a small price to pay or lose, as some Tlf's have lost hard worked for life savings . Whatever you decide I wish you luck.

Rashid

Hi LauraB,

No I haven't given her POA as we agreed that we would meet with the owners/develoers on the tapu exchange day and make the payment at the same time.

teosgirl

Yes, alarm bells started ringing when he stated that she had 'lost her ID card'. It's really not a valid reason for a lawyer not to be paid? I would certainly question her ethics and reliability because of this.

Charlotte

nanamo

Rashid, welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for some helpful advice. Reading all the replies so far is enough to scare the living daylights out of you, however, something doesnt add up and I'd hate for you to lose lots of money. My advice to you is keep everything, every little scrap of paper and email and get everything in writing. If you send money, make sure you mark on the transfer what the money is for and insist on everything coming from Turkey to be notarised. Keep a note of phone calls jot down the content and finally, please listen to all the advice given here. Good luck with your sale, if you decide to go ahead with it then I wish you good luck and hope you have a successful transaction.

Rashid

Hey Charlotte

I was thinking the same and that she is doing it for tax reasons but still seemed strange that a lawyer would ask for that when a bank transfer would make more sense.

I have asked her now to send me the information she has obtained as you advised so lets see what she comes back with.

The apartment itself is new abut its complete and ready to move in so its not an off plan. The agreement with the developers (who are also the owners) apparently is that we will meet in early April at the tapu office and we will pay the balance then.

Rashid

Hi Charlotte

In your post you mentioned its not worth checking the lawyers credentials if she has a central office and it says Avokat.

Did you mean that her central location is an indication that she is registered?

thanks

Rashid

Well Ive used Western union plenty of times for personal reasons but never for a business transaction.

juco

I have asked her now to send me the information she has obtained as you advised so lets see what she comes back with.

I wouldnt ask for specific information but when/if she replies then I would dissect what she has done eg why didnt she check for debts on property and various other questions.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom