stan

Hello
Just joined forum as we have been goin gto Turkey for many years on holiday and would like tobuy sometime but keep hearing of people losing money etc etc, does anyone ever buy an dthe process goes smoothly or should I just stick to my holidays, two or three times a year. Any reasurrence would be good not just for me but my wife as well, as one time I say we will buy and my wife wont then vice versa.

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Hello
Hi Stan, welcome to the forum :) Yes there are a lot of storys about people losing money when buying property. There are actually a lot of people that have had no problems at all, you just dont hear about that so much. All I can advise is that you do your research and contrary to what people think, if you can find yourself a good agent, they are worth their weight in gold.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Hello
Stick to your holidays until the authorities can give a positive reassurance that the corruption has been dealt with and the regulative bodies are in place to combat the corrupt cancer that fouls up the property industry for others.
Proper harsh punishments must be enforced and also for the victim to be compensated without paying out a single penny,when going through the justice system.

Think of it this way for the amount of holidays you are forking out will add up to a life time to the cost of a span of 30 years.Or buy a property and risk losing your money that is paying for your life time holiday of 30 years.

Even when owning a property that has gone smoothly does not guarantee an investment that has been proven over the years.The ongoing costs of site fee’s,utilities,maintenance,and other unforeseen charges that appear out of the blue,when least expect it.ls really equivalent to a yearly luxurious holiday if you bought a property.

You will be free of the burden by not owning one that is 2,000 miles away and anything can happen while your so called investment is left empty.Best to rent out while holidaying,it is less of a worry, and free from the shackles that comes with owning property,courtesy from the property industry as a gift for you as our appreciation in buying from us.
Rent only.Do not buy,until they sort out the right policies that will keep the corruption at bay and to protect the clients that are the fuel for the Turkish economy.

Last edited:

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Hello
Hi Bob, We all know you have been through a rough time and sympathise with you. However, some people are wildy happy here, it worked for them and they dont have regrets.

If everyone takes the advice you have given, you will not be selling the 2 properties that you really need to. x

Hello
Hi Stan, hope you enjoy being on the forum.
Do what feels right for you and your family...you already love Turkey so ask lots of questions, get the advice you need from trusted sources and remember that there is good and bad news in every housing market in the world, you just have to be wise and use due caution :roundgrin

maggie

Hello
Hi Bob, We all know you have been through a rough time and sympathise with you. However, some people are wildy happy here, it worked for them and they dont have regrets.

If everyone takes the advice you have given, you will not be selling the 2 properties that you really need to. x

Kym do you mean Wildly or Wildy happy here ?????:77wu::wow:

We all know youre the Wild one l.o.l.

Hugs Maggie xxxxx

butt007

Warren
Hello
Hello Stan, we live here in Konakli about 7miles from Alanya, been here 25months now and don't regret one minute of it.
We bought off an English agent with an office in Preston and another down south, forget just where now though, we came on a 7 day inspection trip and they showed us a shed load of apartments in our price range.
finally we decided on one and the help and after sales as far as I was concerned was superb, we had no problems at all, their websight is Romanceofturkey.co.uk, and before anybody starts shouting "Are you a builder" no I am not, ask Shirley.
Warren

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Hello
Yes Mags, Definitely Wildly!!

Me? Wild? Im not the one with the giant pole!! xx

val2661

Hello
Hi Stan

Welcome to the Forum. I agree that there are a lot of people who have purchased in Turkey without any hassle or drama. I think a lot of the people having troubles have bought off-plan where the builders have overstretched themselves financially (imho). I would suggest that you take your time to look round and buy something that is already built, has tapu and habitation certificate and better still off a Brit! You will then also know what the annual outgoings are likely to be, what the surroundings are like etc. etc. Good luck

Val

Guz1

Hello
Hello Stan and welcome to the forum. There are pluses and minuses to owning a property abroad.

The plus side is having a home from home that you chose because it suited you. You can furnish it exactly as you choose with everything from good quality, comfortable beds to your favourite cup or mug. You don't have to worry about having to pay extra to cover breakages or for basics such as a toaster or use of a communal washing machine.
The minuses are, as Bob said, ongoing costs such as site fees and essential maintenance (insurance, painting/decorating, replacment of white goods, etc.) These costs add up and often equate to the price of at least one good holiday per year but that would apply to a holiday home in any country.

Visiting three times per year means that you are already a fan of Turkey. We don't need to sing Turkey's praises to you, so I'll list some of the disadvantages of owning a place in Turkey. (I had no problem buying - didn't use a solicitor and the agent didn't run away with my money).

There are not enough direct flights to the resorts and flights can be expensive. Many charter flights operate in high season only leaving you with very little alternative to travelling via Istanbul which adds a minimum of two hours to an already long journey. Public transport between the airports and the resorts is not good in daytime and non-existent at night. Turkey gets very harsh winters which can be a real problem for those of us living so far away. Most people pay property management companies to check their holiday homes. Some of those management companies charge high rates for repairs and, being so far away, you won't be in a position to haggle over the price.

Ms Who says that good agents are worth their weight in gold, and she's right but even some of the best agents can be found wanting.....and what happens if your wonderful agent ceases trading? The trouble with owning in Turkey is that you are almost always dependent on agents or some other middlemen to get things done. The old saying that knowledge is power is very true in Turkey, but those with knowledge don't share it freely. That other old saying that you get nothing for nothing is also very true in Turkey.

Owning a home in any foreign country means that you need to keep yourself informed about changes that affect your property. A good example in Turkey is the change in the property law. This law was passed almost two years ago and for many owners includes a deadline of next November for changing their title deed from one showing a plot of land with planning permission to a deed confirming that their property has been completed in accordance with that planning permission. Failure to do so could incur punitive fines. Very many (probably the majority) foreign owners' title deeds don't show ownership of a completed property. It has been almost impossible to get clear information from any source on the procedures for complying with that law. One English language newspaper claims to be the first to have carried the story about the November deadline and that article was only published about a week ago. If the agents knew about this law, they didn't exactly shout it from the rooftops and it took over a year for a newspaper to break the news. No doubt there will be legislative changes in the future and once again foreign owners will have nowhere to turn for information - unless we turn to very expensive Turkish lawyers.

You must make your own decision about buying a place in Turkey, but make sure it's an informed decision. Sorry for being so long winded.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom