jules49088

hello everyone!
hiya i'm jules currently living in yorkshire with my hubby and 2 lovable squirts (5 and 7)
we're doing some reading and lots of looking into buying a holiday home - apartment v's villa (ouch my head) and looking at alanya - specifically mahmutlar now weighing up the pitfalls against the positives..... looking at the rain outside the thought of a little sunshine sure appeals right now! lol. looking forward to reading through the posts and hopefully looking for a little encouagement!!!!! :D

Andy

hello everyone!
Welcome to the forum Jules & a nice intro.

One thing you must consider before buying is the length of time it takes from Antalya airport to Mahmutlar 1hr 50mins it's along journey after a 4hr flight.
Not sure when the new airport at Gasipsa will open to international flights but it could be quite a few years yet and make the journey just 1/2hr.

Anyway good luck with your search & remember there are some good agents (Emlaks) on this Forum.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
hello everyone!
Hi Jules, welcome to TLF, hope you find plenty of info on here, there's a lot of very informative people in the area where you're interested, but at the end of the day it's your choice. Enjoy reading.

jules49088

hello everyone!
thanks for the warm welcomes! just what i was hoping for - lots of advice and info from people actually who actually know.

val2661

hello everyone!
Hi Jules

Welcome to the forum from another Alanya resident. If you need to know anything just ask. Alanya Marc has an apartment in Mahmutler so he would probably be the best person to ask for detailed information and of course Shirley Ann is our fount of Alanya knowledge.

Val

butt007

Warren
hello everyone!
Hi Jules am sure you will enjoy the forum, welcome. We live in Konakli the other side of Alanya, been here just over 2years now and we love it it is a lovely area, although Mahmutlar does tend die the death after the season finishes.......but Alanya is good it's a big place and lots of shops etc stay open.
Warren

luddendenturk

The Very Fat Sailor!
hello everyone!
Hello Jules, nice area you've chosen.

However, there aren't that many flight only operators out of season from Up t'North to Antalya (or in season for that matter).

Make sure that you can get there, when you want or need to, at a reasonable price!

kirsty

hello everyone!
hi there, I have just joined the forum too, and I am sure it is the best thing I have ever done to fufill my dreams,. Good luck on your search for property in this beautiful region.

jules49088

hello everyone!
well thats certainly given me something to consider!
we have just returned to uk after years of living in Germany - of course flights to Turkey are far easier to find there, we had a good few holidays in mahmutlar and considered buying at the time (should have but the time was not right with the kids) i just really loved the place it was chilled and as always with Turkey so friendly - nothing was too much trouble. We are planning a trip with the kids in sept/oct to have a good look, we figured it would be slowing down a little and give us a chance to view a few properties, any suggestions for reputable companies/agents or does anyone know of another thread i can check out? i'm off to look now! ty

val2661

hello everyone!
Hello Jules, nice area you've chosen.

However, there aren't that many flight only operators out of season from Up t'North to Antalya (or in season for that matter).

Make sure that you can get there, when you want or need to, at a reasonable price!
Luddenturk there are flights to Antalya throughout the year. Thomas Cook/KTHY fly from Manchester. There are also flights from Birmingham and East Midlands over Christmas and New Year.

Val

luddendenturk

The Very Fat Sailor!
hello everyone!
Luddenturk there are flights to Antalya throughout the year. Thomas Cook/KTHY fly from Manchester. There are also flights from Birmingham and East Midlands over Christmas and New Year.

Val

Hi Val2661,

Where in my original post did I say that flights weren't available?

This is my post: However, there aren't that many flight only operators out of season from Up t'North to Antalya (or in season for that matter).

My point is that it is availability of choice that keeps prices down, and I don't see that much choice regarding direct flights. Am I mistaken?

I am simply trying to assist Jules in making an informed decision.

BTW, my moniker is Luddendenturk

val2661

hello everyone!
Hi Val2661,

Where in my original post did I say that flights weren't available?

This is my post: However, there aren't that many flight only operators out of season from Up t'North to Antalya (or in season for that matter).

My point is that it is availability of choice that keeps prices down, and I don't see that much choice regarding direct flights. Am I mistaken?

I am simply trying to assist Jules in making an informed decision.

BTW, my moniker is Luddendenturk
Firstly I do apologise for getting your Moniker wrong. However, as I travel frequently between Antalya and UK and have never had problems getting a flight only at any time of the year and at a reasonable cost into Manchester/East Midlands/Birmingham Airports, I also was helping Jules make an informed decision.

Val

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
hello everyone!
DO BE CAREFUL and don't buy anything anywhere in Turkey until you have lived here for at least 6 months. Lots of villas and apts for rental in all areas of course and at a very good price too. I say this from experience.

I still LOVE Turkey and have been all over - Alanya, Marmaris, Bodrum, Kusadasi, Dalyan, Fethiye, Cappadoccia, Side, Istanbul, Olu Deniz, Marmaris - and I fell in love with Side as the best of all (one hour from Alanya).

I had visited Side twice a year for 3 years before I bought a villa and moved there but it was winter and like a ghost town with nothing to do and I didn't speak Turkish. All my neighbours were very kind and welcoming but I never felt completely settled. And although the villa was fantastic, it was a bit too big for me on my own really.

Of course I had sold my place in the UK to buy the Turkish villa, so had no base there any more. Solution: I now live with my Mum in the UK for half the year and in Side the other half. That seems to work for me perfectly.

You have a family to consider and the little ones education too. I teach at a school in Aksu, near Antalya, and can tell you that the children in Turkey start school later than in the UK. The education all-in-all is better in the UK.

It is a BIG upheaval for a young family to move to Turkey. Some settle quite well but I have heard more often than not that they DO return to the UK within a few months.

I don't mean to put you off. I do LOVE Turkey and especially Side but please take all this into consideration before you plunge in!

All the best for a good decision for you all, Angela

Tess

hello everyone!
Hi Jules and a warm welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy. I hope you find somewhere nice and do your homework carefully before buying, this forum is a mine of information use it wisely and you will do well, take care.

noelaspill

hello everyone!
Hi Jules,

we bought in the Didim-Altinkum area which is about an hour from Bodrum airport and an hour and a half from Izmir airport. We could not be more pleased.

Noel

Latest Posts

Top Bottom