Chasey

Hear we go :) Driving to Turkey
Eurotunnel booked 8:30am tomorrow Thursday

Kids moving out of their rented flat and into our apartment to look after it and we are off by land to our Villa

So initial issues

Booked Insurance via LV car insurance who will give a six-month green card for Turkey

We paid £135.00 extra for this full comp cover

Slight issue once we realized we had general EU cover but it didn't include Serbia? Considered going through Romania instead but we were advised against it by experienced friends

An urgent call to LV and Serbia is now added to the green card at no extra cost. You can drive through on a basic green card with Third Party Only cover but we decided on full comp.

Fortunately, we hadn't paid the £150.00 each for the Covid test to enter France, because this requirement was scrapped on Monday and now all you need is a written declaration that your symptom-free.

Euro Tunnel price jumped from 150 up to 180 post the 19th but that was to be expected I suppose and on the upside we just saved 300 on covid tests.

SO Plan is

France
Belgium
Germany
Austria
Hungary
Serbia
Bulgaria
Possibly a touch of Greece
Turkey

Ill report back on how it went :D

I can only see one problem with this, how do you get your children to move out of your apartment when you come back?

It will be great to see how you get on with your journey, as we are contemplating doing the drive next year when we make our permanent move to Turkey.

Hope it goes well for you Chasey but what a time to go. Flood destruction across Europe & restrictions on Covid potentially changing daily.
I would think stopping in hotels on route will require you to follow that countries law, re Covid because it seems not all countries are on the same page.
Anyway, good luck.

Kanga

Yes it has, as from this Monday. They refused entry to a group of expat Brits driving from Turkey to do their 6 monthly licence renewal.

Last edited:

Chasey

Surely you need a PCR test to enter Turkey?
Are you getting one enroute?

From Turkish Airlines effective on July 1, 2021
Passengers arriving to Turkey from the United Kingdom, Iran, Egypt and Singapore must present a negative PCR test result taken in the last 72 hours prior to arrival to Turkey.

I doubt wed make turkey in 72 hours mate :D

Yes if they need one by the time we get close we will get one.

I reckon 4-5 days to Turkish Border with a likely break in Serbia on rout as I am told its amazing.

Chasey

Hope it goes well for you Chasey but what a time to go. Flood destruction across Europe & restrictions on Covid potentially changing daily.
I would think stopping in hotels on route will require you to follow that countries law, re Covid because it seems not all countries are on the same page.
Anyway, good luck.

We baught an inflatable tent just in case :)

Chasey

I thought Bulgaria has put the uk on a red list

Most countries allow you to transit within a set time

Eligible travellers are required to present a negative result from a PCR test performed within 72 hours before entry into Bulgaria. The document must contain the names of the person in English, date of birth, type of test (PCR) and ‘Negative’ written in English, details of the medical institution that performed the test (name, address or other contact details), date and time of the test sample, the country in which the test has been performed and the authority that issued the document.

Exemptions, regardless of nationality, include medical workers, state official and diplomats, persons traveling for humanitarian reasons, seasonal and tourist workers, those transiting the country and bus and lorry drivers.

Last edited:

Roymags

I saw the word “inflatable” and thought dinghy.
Take it easy on your speed, they lurk everywhere 😂
Good luck with your trip. We’re planning the same trip in September. I’ll be very interested in how you get on, especially at the borders regarding covid tests and vaccine passports.
Sounds like a great adventure.

Chasey

Ok so first day. Very slow at the tunnel and we got stopped for an explosives swab so despite leaving nearly 2 hours to check in we missed the 8.20 train and ended up on the 8.50 one.

Hit France and very quickly got to Belgium and then on to Germany. No trouble at all no issues with Borders or covid.

We drove in total 1200km aiming to stop for the night in a camp site by the river in Passau. Some minor delays on rout but mainly 80mph + driving

Then we hit a big jam right outside Passau. Turned out to be a covid checkpoint . Delayed for over an hour we finally got pulled from the que and sent down to the check center.

We were asked what our destination was

We said Turkey and they waved us on

Arrived late at camp site and found the adaptor on our hand pump didn't fit the tent :(

So had to use noisy electric pump at 10pm but neighbors were very understanding of the obvious idiots who didn't know how to put a tent up.

Site offered shower and coffee in the morning all for 30 euro so not bad

We have now set off for Austria and have arrived in Seebruck and stopped by a beautiful lake for lunch

Zero problems so far

Next stop Serbia

Ok so first day. Very slow at the tunnel and we got stopped for an explosives swab so despite leaving nearly 2 hours to check in we missed the 8.20 train and ended up on the 8.50 one.

Hit France and very quickly got to Belgium and then on to Germany. No trouble at all no issues with Borders or covid.

We drove in total 1200km aiming to stop for the night in a camp site by the river in Passau. Some minor delays on rout but mainly 80mph + driving

Then we hit a big jam right outside Passau. Turned out to be a covid checkpoint . Delayed for over an hour we finally got pulled from the que and sent down to the check center.

We were asked what our destination was

We said Turkey and they waved us on

Arrived late at camp site and found the adaptor on our hand pump didn't fit the tent :(

So had to use noisy electric pump at 10pm but neighbors were very understanding of the obvious idiots who didn't know how to put a tent up.

Site offered shower and coffee in the morning all for 30 euro so not bad

We have now set off for Austria and have arrived in Seebruck and stopped by a beautiful lake for lunch

Zero problems so far

Next stop Serbia

Excellent post Chasey

Roymags

Nice going Chasey 👍. Next post eagerly awaited.
My confidence is building for our September trip.
We’ll be driving down in our VW camper with our 2 dogs so knowing campsites are open is great news.

Chasey

Well we spent a bit of time in Austria by a river so big it looked like a lake, then headed off but TomTom decided fastest rout was through Slovenia. So I sit here at a bar waiting on my Smoked Trout Piza before we head for Lipovlkani in Croata which is about another 100 miles away.

So far biggest problem has been a cock up at the toll road in Austria when we thaught our vignette was pre payment so tried to go through the auto toll.

Sadly not, and three cars had to get out of the way to allow us to reverse back out and drive to a manned booth.

Can't believe how fast we can drive I have been tanking along at 90mph and still cars are flying past me. Roads are great, trafic generally mild to light with occasional slow bits but we have been lucky so far.

Had to self teach on the auto petrol pumps. We have been dropping off the main road and avoiding 1.55 euro and filling up for 1.2 to1.3 in villages.

So the trick is

Insert card

Press green button

Select fuel

Key in pump number

Then your pin number

Then fill up

Chasey

So day 3

We had a slight delay entering Croatia but nothing like the 3 hour delay entering Serbia. It was insane in the 31c heat and tempers were frayed all round. Some seriously aggressive driving was interspersed with 1000 horn blasts as frustrated people tried to get through the border

It was a s#it show

And for what?

That bit i cant explain. We sailed trough with just our pasports

SO when we left the UK we provided, double vaccination certificates and a written pledge of no covid symptoms

That's it.

We have travelled through France Germany Austria, Slovakia, Croatia and Serbia and all we have been asked for so far is our passports

We it border crossings at Austria Croatia and Serbia

We are currently 60 miles from Bulgaria and then we travel on to Istanbul tomorow

900 miles left to the villa but only about 400 to Turkey

Had it not been for the delays getting in to Serbia, id say it has been very easy going

Latest Posts

Top Bottom