HollyB

Health insurance
I am hoping to move over permanently in the next 12 months and wanted some advice on health insurance. I understand that I can't apply for SGK until I have been resident for at least a year so will need private insurance for at least the first year. Any recommendations on cost companies etc.Also do I also need cover for dentist or gp appointments or are they cheap enough to pay as I go so to speak. Thanks

kibris

Health insurance
have a look at GUNEŞ SIGORTA they do my prıvate ınsurance whıch covers me on all the poınts to get my ıkamet---fırst year ıt was 1800tl then thıs year because of no claıms ıt was 1600tl and ım 64

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Health insurance
Arrange the insurance in UK before you go to Turkey for the first year with moneysupermarket.com - - cheapest way to do it - -

HollyB

Health insurance
That sounds very reasonable and I presume this is something you arranged in Turkey? Is this also cheaper than SGK?

kibris

Health insurance
That sounds very reasonable and I presume this is something you arranged in Turkey? Is this also cheaper than SGK?

ı,ve lıved ın turkey for 8 years so ı just went to a few offıces and got quotes--offıce ıs near where ı lıve and they offer several dıfferent companıes but guneş was best for me and ıts a lot cheaper than sgk whıch ı dıdnt want as ım not plannıng to stay here forever---and ıt has to be a turkısh ınsurance company ın order to get your ıkamet.

as for dentıstry ı go to my local hospıtal where ı can just walk ın--an extractıon costs 30tl---extractıon ın a prıvate dentısts ıs around 50--60tl so double. I buy what lıttle medıcatıon ı need over the counter for a few lıra---tablets for the old joınt paıns are 6-50lıra for 30 so thats a months supply but ı maınly use healthy herbs off the market.Its easy to be seen by a doctor ın a turkısh hospıtal and blood tests can be done same day--our hospıtal ıs brand new and well equıped and ı havnt heard of anyone who hasnt been pleased wıth the health care here ın turkey--most say ıts better than the uk.The SGK ıs ,ı belıeve very dıffıcult to cancel ıf you decıde ıts not for you and ıt goes up a lot and a bıg downsıde to the sgk ıs that ıt costs the same for a famıly as ıt does for a sıngle person---ıts not cheaper for a sıngle person .

Last edited:

HollyB

Health insurance
Thanks so much for this info I had heard the same about SGK sounds like you got yourself a good deal there. I have so many questions would it be ok if I contacted you now and again?

kibris

Health insurance
Thanks so much for this info I had heard the same about SGK sounds like you got yourself a good deal there. I have so many questions would it be ok if I contacted you now and again?

of course just ask --ı,ll do my best but thıs ıs turkey and rules change so quıckly--you could do wıth joınıng doc martıns page on facebook he is very good on all the latest ınfo ---regards

HollyB

Health insurance
Thanks very much.I'm already a member of Doc Martin but it's also good to talk to someone who's been there done it and bought the t shirt ��

Health insurance
have a look at GUNEŞ SIGORTA they do my prıvate ınsurance whıch covers me on all the poınts to get my ıkamet---fırst year ıt was 1800tl then thıs year because of no claıms ıt was 1600tl and ım 64

Have you ever made a claim with this company? What was the service like?

My rule of thumb is an insurance company is only good until you make a claim!

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Health insurance
I think you need to clarify your needs versus how much money you want to spend. Some of these private insurances designed to help you get your residency will be totally useless should you need to claim on them for something serious.
SGK will be more expensive but everything is covered.

I was with Gunes for 4 years previously as private medical insurance was covered by my employer. When I tried to extend this cover to the same standard, on my retirement they wanted 5000TL and refused to cover 'circulatory system' as I had had a check up the previous year (all clear too).

LauraB

Health insurance
We have been with Güneş sigorta for 14 years. Our premium has gone down every year as we had no big claims for the first twelve years. After we had been with them for 10 years they assured us they would cover us for the rest of our lives with only the small normal increase of premium every year. Last year my husband had major emergency heart surgery and Güneş were great. The surgeon wrote to them stressing how important it was and although I was asked by the hospital if I would cover the cost in the event that the insurance wouldn't pay, Güneş had agreed and confirmed within 24 hours. Aftercare is totally paid as was the 13 day stay in a first class hospital and my stay also in the hospital for eight days with him. (The food was superb.......I wanted to stay!!!) After all this we were a bit concerned if he would be covered again this year or if there would be conditions attached but apart from losing his no claims bonus which was about 200TL our cover has continued as before. We joined when we were 54 and 57 years old and our premium is less than 8,000TL a year which to me is excellent value considering the claim of nearly 50,000TL!

Kanga

Health insurance
I have heard a rumour that SGK will only cost 53TL pm after April instead of the 200+TLpm at the moment.
Has anyone else heard this?.

kibris

Health insurance
I have heard a rumour that SGK will only cost 53TL pm after April instead of the 200+TLpm at the moment.
Has anyone else heard this?.

or more lıkely go up by 53tl----sgk ıs great as the payment each month covers man and wıfe and chıldren but ıts not so good for sıngles and couples who are not legally marrıed who have to pay the same amount and once youve got ıt your stuck wıth ıt and ıve heard of many havıng beaurocratıc problems wıth ıt. I sımply walk ınto my guneş offıce whıch ıs near to my apartmewnt put my money down ,have a nıce coffee wıth them and the lady prınts out my new documents ---no messıng about sorted ın 1 hour and as thıs was my second year wıth no claıms ıt was 200 lıra cheaper at 1600tl cuz of no claım last year .But ım pretty healthy apart from a few aches and paıns and ım buılt lıke a tank.BUT everyone ıs dıfferent so best ıf you do your homework on several dıfferent companıes plus sgk and see what suıts you best.

kibris

Health insurance
We have been with Güneş sigorta for 14 years. Our premium has gone down every year as we had no big claims for the first twelve years. After we had been with them for 10 years they assured us they would cover us for the rest of our lives with only the small normal increase of premium every year. Last year my husband had major emergency heart surgery and Güneş were great. The surgeon wrote to them stressing how important it was and although I was asked by the hospital if I would cover the cost in the event that the insurance wouldn't pay, Güneş had agreed and confirmed within 24 hours. Aftercare is totally paid as was the 13 day stay in a first class hospital and my stay also in the hospital for eight days with him. (The food was superb.......I wanted to stay!!!) After all this we were a bit concerned if he would be covered again this year or if there would be conditions attached but apart from losing his no claims bonus which was about 200TL our cover has continued as before. We joined when we were 54 and 57 years old and our premium is less than 8,000TL a year which to me is excellent value considering the claim of nearly 50,000TL!

thank you for thıs post laura youve confırmed that ı made the rıght choıce!:yipee:

HollyB

Health insurance
Hi Kibris hope you are well and good to see all the comments re health insurance Sounds like you have found a good company there .Re mobile phones I understand that I have to register my phone within 120 days is this easy enough to do and what is the average monthly contract prices also I will be bringing my laptop with me so wondering about monthly cost of internet too. I know someone who lives in Dalyan and they are always complaining that the internet is mega slow ?

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Health insurance
HollyB , Kibris is off line for a short while , if you check back in about a week you may find a reply.

Good luck

Steve

meyavilla

Tracy
Health insurance
Hi

How do you go about this please, I thought it had to be in Turkish, when applying for STRP

Many thanks

Tracy

Latest Posts

Top Bottom