KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Hagia Sophia scaffolding
During January and February an operation to remove the 180 tonnes of scaffolding currently in place in Hagia Sophia Museum will reveal the interior of the dome in all its glory in celebration of Istanbul being European Capital of Culture 2010.

The scaffolding will be re-erected in 2011 so, if you want to see the dome, make sure you make an effort to go this year.

Hagia Sophia scaffolding
ive only ever seen it with the scaffolding..but even then it was awe inspiring...i'd love to see it without all that stuff in place though.

ChrisBobs

Hagia Sophia scaffolding
mmm and here I was thinking to go to Istanbul this month to do a cultural catch up with the Chagall exhibition there...and I always love to drop in and see Aya Sophia, never tire of the place, it seems more overpowering in the cold and gloom of winter.

Sailor

Hagia Sophia scaffolding
Was there in 2008.Fantastic building.Works prevents me going to Istanbul this year.But they must have a timescale to finish it eventually? Yes, I know its labour of love, but to see it as a finished article would be nice.

Hagia Sophia scaffolding
Hi All,

Going to Istanbul (weather permitting) next Friday-I'm sure they won't have removed it by then-I'll give you a scaffolding update upon my return.

Ann

Em1

Hagia Sophia scaffolding
Hi
Many thanks to KKOB for this info. It helped us make made our minds of when to visit Istanbul, and we have managed to sneak a weekend in October this year!
Em

Freshness

Hagia Sophia scaffolding
Hi All,

Going to Istanbul (weather permitting) next Friday-I'm sure they won't have removed it by then-I'll give you a scaffolding update upon my return.

Ann
Hi,
I think scaffholding will always stay over there. I live in Istanbul and whenever I go there I see scaffholding. As you know Hagia Sophia Museum has been built 1600 years ago, and its a very big building, I guess restoration will always continue

Latest Posts

Top Bottom