Martyn

Haggling in the UK..
I do for large elecrical items but invariably they just try and do a deal with their cover. I normally would get a small amount off. I think if I was bolder I could do better.

Mushtaq

Administrator
Haggling in the UK..
I generally do a lot of research on prices before I buy, as most of my purchases are online there is not much opportunity to haggle as I know the price I am likely to pay.

Higgy

Higgy
Haggling in the UK..
I think that most places will give you a small discont but only if
you ask. As they say up here " Shy Bairns get Nowt "

Just ask for a discount, I'm sure most places would welcome the
business.

Haggling in the UK..
Just this evening I helped my partner buy a new car in his absence and got a smashing deal on the price, some optional extras and delivery date by haggling and a years road tax thrown in for good measure - that's too many years shopping in Turkey!!
I think there is nothing to lose by haggling, never increases a price to try and often you can get a freebie. I have friends who wouldn't want to embarrass themselves but I think the money is better in my pocket than anyone elses and no business person will ever sell at a loss so everyone wins :D

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
Haggling in the UK..
My husband almost cringes when I ask if that's their best price and what about a discount for cash, but I invariably get something off or a freebie thrown in. Never hurts to ask and I would rather buy locally than off the internet if I can.

:roundgrin

Lindacm

Haggling in the UK..
Does anyone else here haggle when buying stuff in the UK?

Since going to other countries where haggling is normal I have found myself in recent years more prepared to try it in the UK and with some success.

For example, in December for my mums birthday I bought her a mobility scooter that a local shop was selling for £760 brand new. I found a company online who were selling it for £610 so i printed the details off and called the local shop to explain that I wouild like to support the local business but I could get it a lot cheaper online and I simply asked if he was prepared to match the online price. It was a huge difference in price and the shopkeeper asked if he could get back to me on it.

Sure enough he got back to me and was happy to take my £610 and I was more than happy to pay it. Especially since I later discovered the website that was advertising the cheaper price was not even a live website and probably not even a current/correct price - didnt realise this when I first found it.

So does anyone else haggle in the UK?

When I lived in the U.K I haggled most of the time...especially in my working life with my suppliers...didn't try it at the supermarkets though.:roundgrin

Tess

Haggling in the UK..
:wow: If the opportunity is there, I never miss,
no shame in asking LOL!!! :roundgrin

mikehibb

Haggling in the UK..
There is nothing wrong with haggling in UK or any place. At the end of the day they know their margins all they can do is say no.
Over the last couple of years I decided it was time for both myself and SWMBO to have a nice watch each, I check all online best deals then go to my favourite local in UK jewelers shop and ask them how much they can better it by. I bought my Omega at more than 20% off ticket price and last year bought SWMBO a very nice watch with same discount. Both times there were others in the shop happy to bebuying at ticket price for some reason.
They know me very well at the jewelers now, not as the bollshy guy who demands the cheapest price, but as a repeat customer who spends money in their shop not in a competitors shop. All I do is get as close to their acceptable margin as possible, nothing wrong with that in my book. We even get tea and biscuits served whilst we are there.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom