kaplumba

Gypsies
Oh crikey I'm being drawn into something controversial again. I don't like to see kids performing on the street for money and of course I don't know but my guess is that they are not at school. They are open to all kinds of criminal activities and danger. If they were doing this dancing in their communities, entertaining each other and not for money it would be different. I have been reading some UNICEF reports about street children and it is sad.
I don't agree about the comment regarding gypsy life. I worked with Romany Gypsy families for many years. They are disliked by many people, they find it difficult to integrate with society and often live in unpleasant conditions. In UK they are given help and yes some of them abuse it. I think in many countries they have little help and no doubt these boys have to entertain on the streets to live.

Saoirse

Gypsies
hard to know where to start

I cant actually be bothered to be honest but just 2 things

1 Why single out gypsies as people who abuse help?

2 Its just a video of kids dancing, nothing more

kaplumba

Gypsies
Not sure why I'm bothering either but was just commenting about gypsy life being better. I don't think it is and it's probably worse in some countries. It was probably unecessary to mention the abuse of help. I have known many UK gypsy families turn down financial help from the state as they don't want what they see as charity. I don't like to see those kids dancing for payment on the street and that was really what I was commenting on. Dancing for fun with their friends is lovely but these were dancing for money.

nomaderol

Gypsies
Gypsies do not integrate any community in the world. Accept them as they are. They love entertaining life. I am not watching TV for months, but, last year I saw a music show programme on a tv here in Turkey, all gypsies, competing and, i guess, making some good money. There are many famous gypsies in entertainment fields (movie, music, etc) in Turkey. I think this entertainment field should be left to them, they do the best. Eh, sometimes, they can steal a chicken or two, no problem. Theirs is very small, incomparable to steals done by nongypsies.

kaplumba

Gypsies
That's great Erol and many Gypsies are talented musicians, singers and dancers. That kind of thing often seems to be in their blood. It's great that they were on TV and great if they were making money. What I was commenting on was that these children were on the streets asking for money. I have been reading articles about street children all over the world. I find it so sad and they are often subjected to violence, child prostitution etc. There was recently a story about a child begging who was beaten up by other beggars. Of course these particular children may have loving families who have no idea that they are out doing this but many are forced to earn money on the street and do not attend school. They are at risk of harm. For that reason I was concerned for these kids.

lara

Gypsies
Very entertaining, much better than the dancers that you see in the resorts who dance for tourists in the hotels and apartments, at least these kids looked like they enjoyed it.
Much better to exploit your talent then to steal, in my view.

Unless your talent is stealing. lol

Gail

Gypsies
I love your philosophy on life Nomaderol, you really make me laugh.

Those children should be at school not dancing in the street as they should be getting an education but who am I to say they SHOULD be?

Last edited:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Gypsies
They may have been getting money for lots of reasons , , to buy mum something , or for new clothes etc , it dosen't mean they were sent by the parents to do it . I know a gypsie family very well . thier son sometimes sings on saturday in the town centre , His parents have a big house and a buisness , when asked why he was doing this he said to save up for a car when i'm big enough to drive one , !!! this is not allways the case but the survival instinct is bred in them due to the treatment they have recieved over many years , they know that no one likes them , but thier human like every one else i have no problem with them at all and they have a set of values very close to muslim religion , a bride must be a virgin , they are outcast if they have an affair , and are tought to take care of each other , .....wouldn't it be nice if a lot more people took care of each other instead of turning the other cheek or passing the buck .........Diane

kaplumba

Gypsies
Go into any UK school after 3.15 and you'll find kids having a ball in clubs. Lots of them do Saturday clubs too.There are many country dancing clubs and boys do attend but often street dancing, disco dancing, music clubs etc. The difference is they are not begging for money. Read some of the many reports from UNICEF about children who work the streets in any country and you'll see why I was alarmed for these kids. Once they are out on the streets asking for money they are at risk. Anyway like Gail I may as well shut up now.

nomaderol

Gypsies
Kaplumba, your words are ok for those kids selling handkerchiefs, selpaks, etc on the streets as they often sell on roads between cars, but, most of them are not kids of gypsies, but homeless kids (there are more than 15,000 homeless kids only in istanbul) who are also drug, paint thinner (yes, pain thinner) dependents. These dancing kids making some money on the street are a part of culture of gypsies here in turkey. They do this often with their parents. See their father or relative playing instrument. In the past, they were making money with dancing bears. Many gypsies are earning their lifes with travelling lunaparks especially in anatolia (we name rest of turkey out of istanbul.) So, open air entertainment is their culture and whole turkey happily accept this. But, lately, they now occupied television shows. Btw, gypsy girls in our area here are very beautifuls. black hair, blue eyes, and flexible athletic physics. their outdoor parties (wedding, etc) are the best parties. You can not get bored among them.

ps: you chosed your nick short, it is kaplumbaga (turtle) or as we say in villages, original turkish, "tosbaga" which is also nickname of wolkswagen.

kaplumba

Gypsies
Thanks Erol, yes I found out about the turtle after I put the name here. I asked a waiter what they were called as I love them and he wrote kaplumba on a piece of paper - perhaps he couldn't spell. lol. I'm not going to write much more about the children, I have said what I think and I choose to believe what UNICEF and other agencies report. It's better that they dance without bears now though.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom