Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Guy Fawkes Night
I'm not being a spoilsport because as a child I loved the event that was Bonfire Night, but that was it, just one night, we used to search the woods, and go to the Farmhouses near where I lived, and took great pride in building and protecting our pile, and it was a great family evening of lighting of the Bonfire, and each family would set their displays off, albeit very small as we didn't have much money to burn, lol, and I have great memories, BUT, there's almost a week to go and the explosions (because that's what they are today), have started in and around our village, and my poor dog Monty is beside himself already, he just barks constantly when he hears them go off outside, to the piont where he is panting so much I don't know how to console him. He loves to be out in the garden, but he is now having to be kept inside. I'm dreading the actual week-end of it next week. Do others have the same nightmare of a time too, and is it as bad for those of you that live in Turkey?

:crying:

JAYTEE

Guy Fawkes Night
I know exactly how you feel. I also used to love Bonfire night. So it will be fireworks this coming weekend, Thursday 5th and then the following weekend. It's too much! Then of course there is halloween with all the trick or treaters. Again, halloween was fun when I was a child. Apple bobbing, apples on string....... Everything has got so commercialized. I'm not a killjoy by the way. My kids enjoy these events but on the night in question.

Pete&Mag

Guy Fawkes Night
I know what you mean Lesley. We used to have serious problems with our dog Monty. The problem was that fireworks go on for days beforehand. He used to literally 'wet' himself with fear.puddles all over the place. We used to bring him into our living room and play music really loud. He wasnt very impressed with Status Quo ,but at least he didnt wet himself. Its easier now because he is stone deaf. and half blind. Pete

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Guy Fawkes Night
I used to love jacket potatos in the fire and chestnuts . But now i dread this event , My corgi Benji just trembles and hides . he is petrified ! the bangers we had are now like warzone bombs . Weres the noise people who tell us Tv's etc are bad for our hearing if its to loud ? It would be much more sensable to only have council bonfires , held on just the one night . And now theres the trend to have them on new years eve , Which means i can't go out and leave the dogs . i think they must be available all year has i've heard them at birthdays & weddings too ! They'll be having them at Funerals next so people can go out with a bang !!!! ....Diane

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Guy Fawkes Night
Its easier now because he is stone deaf. and half blind. Pete

not surprised listening to quo !

martin

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Guy Fawkes Night
I've mentioned before our Monty has Glaucoma, and is blind, so he gets overly stressed as he charges around trying to locate the noises and bang into everything, major move around of furniture esp in the Lounge, as we keep in there with us on the actual night and yes, play very loud music to help ease the row from outside. They're just huge explosions nowadays, the catherine wheel was about as daring as we got, esp when it used to fly off the nail on the backdoor, lol.

Pete&Mag

Guy Fawkes Night
Its easier now because he is stone deaf. and half blind. Pete

not surprised listening to quo !

martin

Hey up Martin . Quo's all right. Anyway we try to give monty a bit of variation .We add a bit of Boston or Nirvana. He seems to appreciate the odd Vivaldi track. I sometimes play him 'You'll never walk alone ' . So I'm sure you would appreciate that track. Pete

Guy Fawkes Night
I used to love jacket potatos in the fire and chestnuts . But now i dread this event , My corgi Benji just trembles and hides . he is petrified ! the bangers we had are now like warzone bombs . Weres the noise people who tell us Tv's etc are bad for our hearing if its to loud ? It would be much more sensable to only have council bonfires , held on just the one night . And now theres the trend to have them on new years eve , Which means i can't go out and leave the dogs . i think they must be available all year has i've heard them at birthdays & weddings too ! be having them at Funerals next so people can go out with a bang !!!! ....DianThey'll e

Actually they do, I saw on TV a bit back where you can have the ashes sent up in a rocket (firework type, not space type). Just wouldn't fancy standing in the debris as it comes down!!

Sue

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Guy Fawkes Night
With dogs, and most other animals, it's all about conditioning them to noises. If they're taught at an early age that noise can't hurt them, they'll grow up with no fear of it.

Our dogs, when they hear fireworks, gunshots, thunder and any other loud noises, always want to go and investigate, because they've been taught that the noises are "interesting". If there's a thunderstorm or firework display we always take the dogs outside and they quite happily sit and watch the show.

After Molly was shot a couple of years ago, she had a natural fear of gunshots, but she's now lost the initial reaction to run away, and instead will just come to me for reassurance. Every so often I take her out in the woods and fire blank shots near her and she has become used to it.

Clarecg

Guy Fawkes Night
[ my poor dog Monty is beside himself already, he just barks constantly when he hears them go off outside, to the piont where he is panting so much I don't know how to console him. He loves to be out in the garden, but he is now having to be kept inside. I'm dreading the actual week-end of it next week. Do others have the same nightmare of a time too, and is it as bad for those of you that live in Turkey?

:crying:[/QUOTE]

Hi

A friend of mine got a plug in pheromone gadget thingy (not a good description I know but I am blonde!) - a bit like the plug in air fresheners but it releases a calming smell or whatever for dogs and her normally very scared dog calmed down considerably. Not sure whether it was from Pets at Home or by mail order from one of the dog magazines.

Works a treat when thunder is forecast as well.

May be worth a try?

easylife

Guy Fawkes Night
In Turkey we don't have bonfire night but during the summer night/beach clubs have firework displays between the hours of 11.30 - 02.00!!! This year there were definitely less perhaps due to the credit crunch?

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Guy Fawkes Night
It's been bedlam in this house since 5.30, our dog Monty hasn't settled since the explosions started, my heads shredded, my wine bottle is empty, I am at me wits end, because poor Monty's blind he's knocked over my vase of flowers, so water everywhere on my wooden floor, knocked an ornament over and it's in pieces. Help!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions from anyone, other than opening another bottle of wine, done that, lol.

:crying: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Guy Fawkes Night
Oh heck leslie !!!! I fell asleep on the bed , Cuddling benji and bonnie , I just wake up , They were trembling with the blinking bombs , I think you should try Monty in a crate with a blanket over it , I have a spare one , You can have it when i come up your way ,So you have a year to to get him used to it for next year ,,,,,Diane

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Guy Fawkes Night
Thank you for your kind offer, I think that I should go in the crate, preferably full of Carlsberg Export, pleeeeaassseeee. Sleep!!!! I no get any sleep tonight, I might go and kip in the garage, even the wine isn't helping me.

:eek:

Guy Fawkes Night
Lesley, if you visit your vet, you can buy something that is like a plug in air freshner, but it realeases a calming scent that animals but not humans (!) can pick up. I had one last year when my cat had to spend 8 weeks (yes 8 weeks!) in a cage in the dining room....
This may have been mentioned already in this thread, apologies if this is the case.....
We're off to Dorset tomorrow, so my kitty is off to the cattery!
x

turkishknashers

i'm just a lucky girl
Guy Fawkes Night
This is a big problem for dogs and im afraid to say it is made worse by humans humanising their dogs.

this is how it can start
fireworks go off, dog looks up to see what is happening/makes him jump etc, owner talks to dog 'ooh its ok come here (mummy cuddles dog), dog can feel your stress/anxiety on their behalf, dog picks up oh there is something to be frightened of here, gets a cuddle for being frightened
next firework goes off, dog picks up stress/anxiety around him, feels the stress from owner and associates it with the firework....noise> stress>anxiety>cuddle(reward for being frightened and so enforcing this behaviour)

this approach works if we are comforting our child, because they are human with human emotions and a cuddle reassures them, doing this to a dog just reinforces the behaviour they are showing, ie. fear=cuddle
dogs are dogs not humans, they go on the signals you give out,
which is why when your dog sh***s on the floor he doesn't know he's in trouble because he's sh*** on the floor but because he picks up your emotion/aura you are giving out before you have even opened your mouth.

my rescue dog was frightened of fireworks when i got him, he's still not keen but will just go somewhere quiet but he doesn't wet himself or shake anymore, because i don't reinforce/baby him about it, i don't stress when fireworks start but carry on as normal, if i go out for a ciggy i encourage him to come out with me and only when he is in a calm state of mind do i cuddle,pet him, because this is the behaviour that is best for my dog and that i want to reinforce in him and he will understand that calmness gets rewards.
hope this helps :)

Top Bottom